93 XR650L 200.00 bucks

17 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:25 AM

Friday, I bought a 93 XR650L for 200.00 bucks. Missing the front wheel, pretty hammered lookin, needs all the body parts and a wiring harness and the handlebar control switches. I know ssounds like alot. BUT! the good news is this, the kid that had it just spent 653.00 smackers back in 2001 for a new head valves and piston and rings. Had the receipt to prove the purchase and the head was notably cleaner - newere looking than the jug. I got it home pulled it down to and started an inspeciton and cleanup. They cut the wire harness - (why do people do that?) and bypassed the ignition switch with a toggle - which also was cut. he saifd they had to wiggle the ignition switch to make it run. Wonders never cease.... The plug I pulled out was clean and indicated just what the carb told me, (original jets) it was running lean, white center electrode. Engine turns over, valves move, he said it was running good after the rebuild just had "wiring problems" yea ya think????? I asked the reason for the top end job, it dropped a valve seat....hmmmmm. By all indication the engine should run, the carb was even clean! and no goo around the tip of the OEM exhaust, no oil burning. Had an oil leak on the front downtube of the frame that I think emanates from the drain plug as the sealing copper washer looks really crushed and it was covered in oil caked crud to get to the drain plug. Foot pegs are some ones idea of trying to improvise and make thier own IMS pegs, they gotta go. But all in all I think I can bring her back to life, just needs an extensive period of hospitalization at Dave's XL's only. I can't help it - when I find one like this I feel I have to save it.....

• Rockjockey

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Sounds as if you found yourself a deal. Did it come with a title?

• martinfan30

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:46 AM

You are doing the Lords work my friend...

• Motosprtman

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Yup got a title and Bill of sale too.

• cleonard

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:20 PM

Wow you scored big time.

I think that the valve seats come loose due to overheating. That would go with the stock jetting.

How many miles on her? I would try and get her going as is and only tear her down if there are issues.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:34 AM

speedo showed 3, 215 miles, but they had long ago disconnected it, so hard to tell what was on it in actuality, In a fit of rage over it not wanting to start, (said the ignition key had to be wiggled all the time to get juice) they cut all of the wiring harness connections for the left and right handlebar switches and the ignition. Luckily I was able to scoop up a harness from an 2003 model and will install that! then it is body parts, and a front wheel and zoom -zoom -zoom.

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:43 AM

thats a perfect ebay score, id sell that engine for 3 times what you paid and everything else to boot. Take the $1k and put it in your other bikes. But thats just me, i wouldnt mess with a headache like that myself id just make it an investment purchase.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:48 AM

Yea I her ya Denn, but it is this thing I have, wana save it....

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:07 AM

well then youll enjoy the garage time im sure LOL hopefully you dont get stuck living in there HEHE

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:29 AM

well I got a heater and I like my bikes alot....but I do have to return to the house now and then - but once I get my bathrroom installed and a better heat system ... yea I could live there LOL.

Actually I was thinking last night while tinkering - if I had all of the parts on hand, I bet I could have it going in 2 days. 2 FULL work days.

• martinfan30

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Well now, looks like you have a goal!

• Motosprtman

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:58 AM

yea.... IF I could find afront wheel or a set of wheels that don't cost an arm and a leg....

• martinfan30

Posted January 29, 2008 - 11:01 AM

Thats a tough find there...

• ThunderChicken

Posted January 29, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Let's see what a $20 XR650L looks like!

Post some "before" pics.

• Maroast

Posted January 29, 2008 - 03:01 PM

yea.... IF I could find afront wheel or a set of wheels that don't cost an arm and a leg....

It seems like quite a few other people are interested in buying XRL front wheels....both have about a day left....who knows what they'll go up to

• martinfan30

Posted January 29, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Looks like someone did a USD conversion on that second link.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 01, 2008 - 07:40 AM

I ended up paying $$$ for wheels, but such is life, the rear probably could of gotten by - but had a bent spoke and one broken one and a dent in the rim, front wheel was completely missing. I have probably dumped 600-800 in it already for tank, seat, side covers, wiring harness, ignition switch, controllers left and right and start switch, turn signals, speedo cluster. I have a new chain for it and some sprockets. All that is left is new skins, probably 606's. All tolled though with all parts on hand, maybe 1K invested. IF I sold it - I wold think I could probably get 1500-2000 fo it. I will post some before (fugly) and after pics (gonna be purdy). How do you post pictures?

• martinfan30

Posted February 01, 2008 - 08:26 AM

go here, sign up. Its easy and free, once you get used to it!

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.