1987 xr600 stator help

16 replies to this topic
  • KJG15

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:27 PM

im rewraping my stator and was wondering if any one had any better pics of how to start the rewraping prossess?
iv searched the threads and didnt find what i was looking for.
a lil help would be great.
thanks

• ToXicD

Posted January 28, 2008 - 12:14 AM

http://justxr.com/jaw/stator.html

http://4strokes.com/...da/brpstatr.asp

http://www.xr650r.us/stator/

between those three you should have enough information to be a stator rewinding expert!! :cool:

• ToXicD

Posted January 28, 2008 - 12:19 AM

and yet another.... http://www.all-offro...atorRewind.html

• KJG15

Posted January 28, 2008 - 10:05 AM

thanks ToXicD those help alot! ill let you know how it works out.

• KJG15

Posted January 28, 2008 - 11:18 AM

thoses helped but what i need is the starting point. when i pulled a part it was so cracked and burnt up that i have no idea where to start at. i have wraped a light stator for a xr50, is it the same starting point? or dose it need to attach to something else?
thanks

• Horri

Posted January 28, 2008 - 11:43 AM

I don't know where you start..What I will say is all those guides are inadequate in their information and diagrams.To expect anyone to be able to follow them is dreaming.Someone needs to do a proper one..Video would be best..or a set of black and white schematics showing every step. 1,Start here by twisting the wire around this pole,2,,,Then here moving in an anti-clockwise direction 3,,then back here,4,,,,like this 5,,,yada 6,,,yada,7,,yada and so on.

• brad4001

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:08 PM

ya that would help a lot. so whos going to do it lol! any takers? im kjg15 brother and will be helping him wrap it, so if any on can give any pointers that would be great

• brad4001

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:09 PM

bump, we need to get this thing going
thanks
brad

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Horri

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:34 AM

I'm looking into it but it may take a while.(My Gimp skills are somewhat limited)What I 'd recommend is to look at Fig 3 in the 4th url posted..(the offroad one)My grasp on that is start at the bottom by wrapping the wire a couple of times round the pole closest to the large main body of wires leaving a decent size piece of wire sticking out the end. Then as you will see he heads off through the other poles in a criss cross pattern to the top,,you can make out the wire if you look closely.Once you get up to the top ignition poles/pole..(bit unsure there as the ignition on mine is single pole)..anyway..(fat grey thing covered in epoxy)you start wrapping around the first vacant pole in a clockwise or anti clockwise direction..you wrap that pole to the desired amount of turns then move to the next pole down but wrap in the opposite direction to your first pole..Carry on down to the bottom doing the same all the way..clock anti clock for each pole....The connection side at the bottom I'm still unsure of...Detail in all the diagrams in all the Urls posted is lacking on this topic..Ie..You have two ends..Which end goes to what or do they both connect to a yellow wire or a yellow and white..get the picture.On the stator you have red/black wire(ignition) Pink(unsure) Yellow and Yellow/white.ideas on what pink,, yellow,, yellow/white..connect to is needed.Have a manual but thats my bit for now.

• Horri

Posted January 30, 2008 - 12:13 PM

Its quite a complex topic really because you need to know the resistance values to measure one you have finished doing you're wrapping..You need to know how many turns to do on each pole to achieve the correct values.This depends on grade of wire used.I have been gathering the info courtesy of some stuff I found from this forum that was posted by a guy called "Snaggle"..He seems like the man for this sort of info.Also if you were doing the ignition pole/poles the wire is hair thin and requires I would say thousands of turns to get the right result...A difficult operation with thin wire but something I'd love to know.,,I'd also like to know that for each different circuit whether it matters whether the wrapping from the other circuits need to follow the same pattern as your new wrap..ie if the ignition was wrapped counter clockwise then does the lighting circuit also have to be wrapped counterclockwise on the first pole you begin at or does it not matter with the different circuits.Suppose it shouldn't really as you're doing a clock/counterC with the new..God knows.. Questions Questions..

• cleonard

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:33 PM

What are you trying to rewind? The lighting coil, the ignition coil, or both?

If you can post a photo of what the issue is. I can't quite tell what you are looking for from your questions.

• brad4001

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:37 PM

the ignition coil is what were trying to do. the light coil worked fine for now the bike had barely a spark and would have to be bumped to start and run for a bit till it warmed up and then it wouldnt run at all itll cooled all the way back down. i could post a pic if you want me to.
thanks

• cleonard

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:19 PM

Go to this site and read the entire thing. It's the best write up I know of. If you still have a specific question ask it after reading.

That's about exactly what my bike did. Rewinding fixed mine.

• brad4001

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:07 PM

im sorry but i didnt see the link, if you could get that to us that would be great. thanks for the help tho.

• cleonard

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:16 PM

Sorry about that. I suppose that it would help to actually copy the link.

http://crustyquinns....ech/stator.html

• brad4001

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:29 PM

not a prob ive done that a few time lol

• brad4001

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:30 PM

ok just wanted to update everyone, the stator worked like a champ. i put it in and kicked it over and bam huge blue spark, i think i need to clean the carbs it sputters and stuff when you roll on the gas hard.
so if any of you thinking of about rewraping the stator do it helps alot and is easy once you get all the stuff.
thanks for all the help.
brad

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.