Calling all mechanics xr650r

3 replies to this topic
  • sj269

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:42 PM

I am in the process of checking/adjusting the vavles on my new to me 2000 xr650r with unknown history. While rotating the flywheel (counterclockwise) I am hearing a loud metallic tap or click coming from the right side exhaust valve just before it closes. No other valves are affected. I can feel something hit the valve as I put my finger on the adjuster nut while rotating the flywheel.

O.K. I just checked the valve and it was extermely tight (couldnt fit the feeler in at all .008mm) I rotated the flywheel while the valve adjuster nut and valve was way loose and the noise went away.

I can supply more info if need be. The bike runs well, but I can remember hearing a metallic clicking noise, on my last ride.

So the question is, will a tight right exaust valve cause this noise, and did any damage occur (opinions) riding with a valve so tight (50 100 miles)?

I understand the decompresser can affect the clearance so I will take pains to be sure it isn't part of the problem.

• philipstjohn

Posted January 27, 2008 - 07:04 PM

I am in the process of checking/adjusting the vavles on my new to me 2000 xr650r with unknown history. While rotating the flywheel (counterclockwise) I am hearing a loud metallic tap or click coming from the right side exhaust valve just before it closes. No other valves are affected. I can feel something hit the valve as I put my finger on the adjuster nut while rotating the flywheel.

O.K. I just checked the valve and it was extermely tight (couldnt fit the feeler in at all .008mm) I rotated the flywheel while the valve adjuster nut and valve was way loose and the noise went away.

I can supply more info if need be. The bike runs well, but I can remember hearing a metallic clicking noise, on my last ride.

So the question is, will a tight right exaust valve cause this noise, and did any damage occur (opinions) riding with a valve so tight (50 100 miles)?

I understand the decompresser can affect the clearance so I will take pains to be sure it isn't part of the problem.

the motor is toast dude... sell it while it still runs...:cool: Just kidding- follow the manual on the valve adjustment and you will be fine... here is a link to a valve adjustment on the XR650R which may help...

http://dirtbike.off-...alve adjustment

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted January 27, 2008 - 07:15 PM

right exhuast valve...hmmm i think i remember having a similar problem when i first checked my valves, i cant remember 100% but i think it had something to do with the decompression lever. It closes the right exhuast valve or something....sadly i dont even remember how i fixed the problem.:cool:

idk maby that info will help somebody tell you the problem:excuseme:

• sj269

Posted January 27, 2008 - 07:26 PM

Great link. That ratcheting 10mm box end is the cat's pajamas, I gotta get me one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.