2 Master Links?

13 replies to this topic
  • mmbasa

Posted January 27, 2008 - 04:11 PM

I cut my chain 1 link to short, can I use 2 master links?

• 642MX

Posted January 27, 2008 - 04:13 PM

I cut my chain 1 link to short, can I use 2 master links?

Of course you can. :cool:

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2008 - 04:27 PM

I had two links in the chain on my '03 for over two years without a problem.

• ktmdestroyer

Posted January 27, 2008 - 04:28 PM

yep :cool:

• mmbasa

Posted January 27, 2008 - 04:47 PM

Sounds good to me, thanks for the speedy replies.

• todds924

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:00 PM

Sounds good to me, thanks for the speedy replies.

I would like the extra link to be a rivit link though.

• tnl

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:22 PM

I just bought the motion pro rivet tool and want to rivet my master link. Does the new rivet have to be a special type pin for this application or can an old one be used that has been pressed out? I believe that a new one (special kind I don't know). I don't think you can just rivet the master link? I have a Regina orn6 chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bignick

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:25 PM

+1

Also a tip from roadracing, use silicone sealer and coat the clip and use safety wire to keep the clip from working its way off.

• tnl

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:36 PM

+1

Also a tip from roadracing, use silicone sealer and coat the clip and use safety wire to keep the clip from working its way off.

What guage wire?

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2008 - 07:49 PM

I just bought the motion pro rivet tool and want to rivet my master link. Does the new rivet have to be a special type pin for this application or can an old one be used that has been pressed out? I believe that a new one (special kind I don't know). I don't think you can just rivet the master link? I have a Regina orn6 chain.

The master link must be of a type originally intended to be riveted. You cannot rivet a clip type because the ends of the pins are hardened. Furthermore, the master link must precisely fit the chain it's used on.

The rivet type master link for an ORS6 may fit. The TT store lists them if you can't find them elsewhere.

I will say that the clip type master on the ORN6 is an exceptionally strong, impeccably reliable piece when correctly installed, and I would not hesitate to use two of them on my own bike.

• King_Air

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:17 AM

Can you run the two masterlinks next to each other, or should they be spread apart?

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:12 AM

You can run them next to each other or with some links in between.
If you are using the proper link and installing them correctly, you won't have a problem.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2008 - 07:25 AM

Can you run the two masterlinks next to each other, or should they be spread apart?

Mine were right next to each other for over two years.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 29, 2008 - 01:03 PM

I second that!:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.