California sea-level jetting... suggestions?

2 replies to this topic
  • Ironbeak

Posted October 18, 2002 - 03:01 PM

California XR650R

I bought my XR650R up in the mountains near lake Tahoe... about 4000 feet. Now that the bike's down here in the flatlands near San Francisco, I'm getting some popping, sputtering, and hesitation on deceleration (closed throttle), particularly when gear braking.

I don't know much about jetting, but from what I have read, I would guess that my bike could use a slightly larger main jet, a mixture screw adjustment to richen things up, and possibly a larger pilot jet. Please let me know if I'm on the right track!

Unfortunately, the guy I bought it from couldn't remember which sizes he had the bike jetted to... damn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted October 24, 2002 - 09:09 PM

Yeah Ironbeak you're on the right track, probably lean after that much elevation change (as evidenced by the popping). Here's a few articles on jetting: There are 2 or 3 articles on jetting. Usually I am able to change my main jet up/down one and adjust my mixture screw for 2500-3000' change in elevation (XR600). For 4000'of elevation change I'm guessing go up two on the main and one on the slow and readjust your mixture ??? Trial and error and read the plug after each change. Good Luck.

• Mainjet2001

Posted October 25, 2002 - 12:41 AM

And if that is not enough, here is some more info.... :)

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.