Is the XR650R a good trail bike?

26 replies to this topic
  • Suikerland

Posted January 27, 2008 - 09:07 PM

This is how my 650R does on trails...

... and I'm pretty new at riding offroad, only had my 650R for about a year, been on road bikes for about 20 years. So I think it's ok.

The XR is big and prefers open trails, but let's not forget, it's made for dirt.
I riade with a budyy on a KTM950, much heavier and less dirt-capable than the XR, and he makes me look stupid he's so fast in the dirt.

• dirtrider115

Posted January 27, 2008 - 09:16 PM

I Love Mine But Its A Better Desert Bike Then A Trail Bike But It Will Do Everything.as A Dual Sport Or Supermoto Tough To Beat.reliable And Umpteen Power Just A Little Hard To Start Sometimes.honda Blew It Not Continuing Production As I've Had My Last New Generation Honda,to Much Work So I Switched To Yamaha's Except For My Brp.

• bajajoaquin

Posted January 27, 2008 - 10:33 PM

Took mine to the scales, a full 3.2 gallon tank and 16 lbs. of air in the tires weighs out at 320 lbs. :cool:

Well, there's your problem: if you go down to 10 pounds in each tire, that's only 308 pounds. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoridersk

Posted January 28, 2008 - 08:33 AM

thanks for the info. would this bik do horrible if i did the occassional hare scramble. i aso have the opportunity to get a 2005 crf450x street legal with full marchesini supermoto setup and all the stock dirt stuff bike is perfect for $6000 but i know that it would suck for the fact that on the street it will be awesome but i would be limited to very short trips and maintenence sucks too.

• x1glider

Posted January 28, 2008 - 02:32 PM

Sounds to me like you need 2 different bikes.

I have a 2005 450X and it sux for the street. 60mph is beating the Ti valves to death at 7000 rpm with stock gearing. With 15T and 48T it'll do 70 at 6000 rpm. Still, the engine is fragile for this type of riding. It can be a handful in the woods, no desert where I am. Lots of power...sometimes too snappy. I'm taming it with a Steahly flywheel weight this weekend. It's a very happy bike in the desert from what the D38 racers in San Diego tell me. Maintenence is high. What it takes to keep it running like a champ tho.

There is 1 guy on the 450X board that runs his on the street full time with some pretty nice SM wheels. I think he's running a 16T and 45T. He doesn't come around much.

Nothing wrong with the XR650R at all. Less maintenence intensive for sure and better suited for street use. But as others have said, it is heavy for the trails, depending on your definition of a trail. But hey, I rode tight woods on a 375 lb '85 XL600R, so 320 lbs fully fueled would have sounded great to me then.

The XR sounds like a mighty fine bike for $4k.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:19 PM

The XR650R is a great trailbike, if you are a strong, finnese rider. If you are a hacker, or an ex-125 racer, you will hate it. The trick is to get the motor running really clean and snappy, with the proper jetting/pipe/airbox mods.
Then, the power will be so immediate off idle, that the weight will not be so noticable. I ride a nasty, 1st gear for 8 miles trail near my house, and I would use nothing else: best combination of grunt, agility (better than my 450x in the slow) and comfort. But it is a beast to move if it drops!

• motoridersk

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Man you guys are getting me pretty excited about that xr. I think i might go that route. Heck if it I really get into the tight trail thing I guess I could just go buy a few year old 2 stroke 250 for fairly cheap. Thanks again for all the help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.