Is the XR650R a good trail bike?

26 replies to this topic
  • motoridersk

Posted January 27, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Hey everyone I need some opinions. I am looking at buying my brothers 2002 XR650R it is street legal and has full supermoto setup along with dirt setup. I have ridden the bike in supermoto trim and love it. I have never ridden an XR650R in the dirt, how would this bike do in the dirt I am a decent street ridden but a fair dirt rider I wouldnt mind maybe doing a few harescrambles or some other races just for fun. Is this bike to heavy for this? I love the amount of smooth power the bike makes just concerned about the dirt capabilites. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

God Bless.

• Docmarkw

Posted January 27, 2008 - 10:51 AM

I ride a 650R and think the bike is a great do it all bike. However it was built to run fast and it is a heavy bike. For slow tight technical trails there are better bikes for this. If the bike is plated that makes it even better. What is he willing to sell it to you for. I hope your getting the good brother discount.

• Rokatt88

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:07 AM

Get it! You will have a blast and with the plate you should always be able to get your money back!:cool:

• motopat651

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Its funny to see this post today.I'm pretty sore right now,after riding my XR through about 30 miles of tight desert canyons and ridge lines.It is a great do it all bike,and can be ridden in tight stuff.But you will pay the next day.If it has a plate and is in good shape buy it!

• Sleeperdrz

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:27 AM

XR650= big, heavy, fast, sometimes hard to start, and heavy.
Good for Baja.
Did I say heavy?

• kenr74

Posted January 27, 2008 - 12:36 PM

After riding with a local guy that had a legal 650 I think it is 90% rider and 10% bike. He could have rode circles around me and took that big bike anywhere. I had a XR600 and it gave me a workout but they can go anywhere you point them.

• Sleeperdrz

Posted January 27, 2008 - 01:19 PM

After riding with a local guy that had a legal 650 I think it is 90% rider and 10% bike. He could have rode circles around me and took that big bike anywhere. I had a XR600 and it gave me a workout but they can go anywhere you point them.

Truer words could not be spoken.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 27, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Good 320 lb. bike for anything.

• YZERIK

Posted January 27, 2008 - 01:58 PM

good power but heavy, worth it if your a big tall guy, but its alot of machine for small guys to handle

• motoridersk

Posted January 27, 2008 - 02:33 PM

i appreciate the advise keep it coming please. if i get it he will sell to me for 4000 bike is flawless. supermoto setup has maybe 50 miles on it and by the way i am a big guy 6'1" 250lbs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 3ECRFX

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:24 PM

I road one a couple times in trails and did NOT like it at all. way too heavy stalls too easy and is just overkill it woar me out quick. but if you are riding wide open in the desert or something it would be a blast.

• BIGGITY

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:27 PM

Getting a supermoto set-up alone for the XR650R (assuming the set-up has an extra set of wheels, rotors/sprockets) is a $1000+ right there. If he has an oversized front rotor throw in another $300. Street Legal also? Another $500-1000 (resale value over all other XR650R's in CA).

Tight slow trails. No bueno. Even if you are big and strong it will wear you out.

This bike is made for high speed straighter/sweeping curves stuff. Handles great in washes and does good with high speed whoops:thumbsup:

Low end torque is ridiculous.

• motoridersk

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:36 PM

yeah the bike us sweet for sure i built the bike for him. has motomaster oversized brake kit. suspension work. power up kit, RAD supermoto set up with all the stock dirt setup. it is for sure a sweet bike. just worried about the dirt aspect. i dont doubt the power or the awesome supermoto abilities just would hate to buy it and be miserable in the dirt.

• The Regulator

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hey everyone I need some opinions. I am looking at buying my brothers 2002 XR650R it is street legal and has full supermoto setup along with dirt setup.

Wow,

That bike is a great and rare thing in CA. You should jump on it! "or I will" just kidding. :cool:

• Hondapwns

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:05 PM

The XR 650 is one of the best trail bikes avalible

• timvv51

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Not the best for RACING tight stuff but fine for trail riding tight stuff especially for a big guy. I dont think the BRP (big red pig) weighs over 290 completely wet maybe 265 0r 270 dry.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Not the best for RACING tight stuff but fine for trail riding tight stuff especially for a big guy. I dont think the BRP (big red pig) weighs over 290 completely wet maybe 265 0r 270 dry.

Took mine to the scales, a full 3.2 gallon tank and 16 lbs. of air in the tires weighs out at 320 lbs. :cool:

• hondacrf150f1

Posted January 27, 2008 - 07:25 PM

The XR 650 is one of the best trail bikes avalible

I would say my XR650R isant more than 20 pounds hevier than my 94 XR250L...i enjoy riding it on single track tight ass trails and tecnical stuff.

As long as you have good balance, you can chug right along in 1st or 2nd easy. Of coarce ive never had the delight of riding a newer 250 or 450 Mx'er on trails.

• jdubb75

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:13 PM

I've always heard what a big and heavy bike the 650R is, but it feels fine to me. Granted it has been several years since I've had a dirtbike and it was an 86 CR250 so it probably weighed as much as the pig. I am by no means big (6'1" & 170lbs) but it feels better to me than what I remember my CR did. If I had any complaint about it in the tight stuff it would be that first gear is a little tall or maybe it just has too much torque (if there is such a thing as too much). It seems like in the wet stuff it doesn't take much throttle at all to get the rear end bent out of shape. It's all good though...I like it!:cool:

• FNM

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:51 PM

ive been riding a 96 xr600 for the past 4 years no it ain't no xr650 but its in the same weight class im no big guy either (5'11 &145 150lbs) i say its just a matter or getting used to it at first i was slow on the tight woods trails that ny friend and i made here locally but now im faster than my friend on his yz250 in the trails and the track and alot faster in the fields but allin all id say get ive been dreaming of supermotoring my 600 for years

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.