"pop" and motor dies...

12 replies to this topic
  • fc501

Posted January 26, 2008 - 08:12 PM

94 xr600 with Yosh. exhaust, open airbox. Jetting 68 pj, 155 mj, 2 1/2 turns out on air mixture screw.
First time I rode the bike I didnt have this "pop", I was at Hungry Valley. Then today at Palm Springs, I noticed it. It just happen afew time but at low idle the motor would "pop" like a cork from a wine bottle and would die. Its starts and doesnt crap out WFO. I didnt pull the plug yet but was thinking maybe the pj is too large. Maybe a 65pj. It happens at idle going to 1/8 throttle turn.
Any ideas? thanks

• cyclewizard

Posted January 26, 2008 - 08:47 PM

Yeah, I think the slow jet is to large for your area.
I would drop down to a 62 slow jet.

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 26, 2008 - 09:49 PM

You think the pilot jet it too big? Well, that could be one thing. You can also try adjusting your needle to see if that might make a difference.

• creeky

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:02 AM

Try a 60 or 62 pilot and a 158-160 main jet, the 155 is most likely too lean for an uncorked 600.

• scalejockey

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:40 AM

The "flame out". ARRG. I hate that. Mine does this when i run cheap low octane gas. (try this first)

But most bikes will need a little re-jetting.

• martinfan30

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:14 AM

I'm with creeky and SJ. Go one up on the main, one down on the pilot. Also try quality supreme unleaded.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tgstoken

Posted January 27, 2008 - 10:12 AM

My 650L is running a 60/160 and its a we bit rich.

• fc501

Posted January 28, 2008 - 07:23 AM

thanks for all the replies. I will try the higher octane gas too.

• absynth01

Posted January 28, 2008 - 08:02 AM

I've got that problem also when the 600R is hot. I wondered about the jetting, but now know where to look. I've already had the carb apart and cleaned. I assume when the original owner stuck the Supertrapp on it, he didn't play enough!

• martinfan30

Posted January 28, 2008 - 10:04 AM

My 650L is running a 60/160 and its a we bit rich.

Sea level? Just a hair rich, not bad though. Better rich than lean.

• Denn10

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Remember Hungry valley is like 4500 feet or so and Palm Springs is less than 1K so you will see a difference in how it runs with that much elevation change. Smaller for higher elevation and larger for sea level. So it makes sence that at lower lever it pops (lean) and when you go up in elevation it didnt (richer) 4k feet difference is alot and will affect differently. Jet for optimal jetting for the lower elevation you ride and deal with a little rich for the higher elevation.

• danny v

Posted February 01, 2008 - 09:50 PM

94 xr600 with Yosh. exhaust, open airbox. Jetting 68 pj, 155 mj, 2 1/2 turns out on air mixture screw.
First time I rode the bike I didnt have this "pop", I was at Hungry Valley. Then today at Palm Springs, I noticed it. It just happen afew time but at low idle the motor would "pop" like a cork from a wine bottle and would die. Its starts and doesnt crap out WFO. I didnt pull the plug yet but was thinking maybe the pj is too large. Maybe a 65pj. It happens at idle going to 1/8 throttle turn.
Any ideas? thanks

I have a 1998 XR600R 65pj,160mj @2 1/2 outand it has to run with the choke in the mid pos. I am at sea level WB E-series pipe,SS header,uni filter and it feels a little rich? I tried a 68pj and a 165mj and it ran like crap. back to the 65/160 for now and i am thinking maybe 68 pj and 158 mj to get rid of that hesatation on bottom and thru mid range. When I removed all of the discs from the pipe it made a big differance :busted: I get very upset at the bike than I have to go work on the sailboat.I have had the XR for about 4 mos. now and I need to spend some serious time with it to find the right jetting,but it is a kick in the pants to ride :worthy:
Are you at sea level or is it always in palm springs or mountains?

• resurrection

Posted February 01, 2008 - 10:25 PM

I have allways loved this saying
Dig this
It's cool to be rich.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.