Trail tech Vapor

5 replies to this topic
  • dirtysouth

Posted January 26, 2008 - 07:27 PM

Anybody use the VAPOR from trailtech on 05+ WR's. Wondering which of the four options will be most reliable for the tach. Which did you use and how reliable has it been?

• Alternative

Posted January 27, 2008 - 12:58 AM

On my 02 426 I connected it straight to the coil, however for the power I connected it to the unregulated AC (ignition) instead of the lighting coil because the regulated power can interfere with the tach. I don't know about the electric start models though, whether or not the battery makes a difference.

• William1

Posted January 27, 2008 - 04:38 AM

+2 on a direct connection to the coil signal wire.

Power, go directly to the battery. The amount of draw when no riding is minimal and for extended periods of sitting, you have it on a battery tender anyways, right? If you wire it to be 'on' only when the bike is switched on, the Vapor occassionally will reset itself on power off, a pain to loose your clock and trip meter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted January 27, 2008 - 07:51 AM

+2 on a direct connection to the coil signal wire.

Power, go directly to the battery. The amount of draw when no riding is minimal and for extended periods of sitting, you have it on a battery tender anyways, right? If you wire it to be 'on' only when the bike is switched on, the Vapor occassionally will reset itself on power off, a pain to loose your clock and trip meter.

Shoot me an intsalled pic if you have one...wondering about OEM odo.

• ETP

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:07 AM

A few of us Vapor owners have had problems with intermittent high tach readings. Don't believe there was a very clear cut reason why. They thought it was power related, but my setup is right, but it still happens from time to time. Maybe its been resolved on the new production Vapors.
I discussed this with a trail tech technician a while back and it was suggested that I try running shielded cable for the tach wire. This would reduce the possibility of electrical noise being part of the problem. If you don't run shielded cable, make an effort avoid routing the tach wires parallel with any other wires.

• paulxr

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:19 AM

On my 06 yz250 i hooked the tacho straight up to the coil and it works great and it seems to be very accurate.I also hooked the power source directly up to the stator power supply (i think i dont have a multi meter)but it seems to work ok i dont think the power supply from a motocross bike will be enough to fry it.The only hassle i have had is it resets itself sometimes and the problem seems to be the internal battery losing contact with its terminal ie short marks on battery,so i have placed a few layers of insulation tape on the back of the battery to hold it more securely in place.Paul

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.