I wanna clear something up....

13 replies to this topic
  • dldavis_66

Posted January 26, 2008 - 06:41 PM

I recall reading a few articles regarding the installation of smog blocking kits online that really ticked me off saying that the doohickey that looks like a lawn sprinkler, located below and to the rear of the fuel petcock, or just in front of the compression damper cylinder, is a "charcoal canister".

Well that doohickey is definately NOT a charcoal canister, heck it doesn't even have anything to do with smog!!! I don't know where these :cool: come off saying to take it off for the installation of a smog block kit AND to cut/shorten the hose to fit from the Tranny breather outlet to the Air Box. That's just plain stupid:thumbsdn: , unless of course, you want to suck a lot of oil into your Air Box. For all intent and purposes, that doohickey is in fact a Oil/Air separator. It helps to minimize the amount of oil getting sucked into the Air Box!!! They even need to be cleaned out every now then, depending on riding conditions, because they can and will fill up with oil if left alone too long.

I'll tell you what IS a charcoal canister though: that doohickey at the front/left of the motor, just a few inches below the left exhaust pipe. It's just a smaller version of many of the vapor collection canisters that you find on automobiles AND is smog related.

Just wanted to air it out.
All the best to everyone here at Thumper Talk.

• weskc35k

Posted January 26, 2008 - 08:20 PM

Good for you.

• Bibleman

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the info. I noticed that the air box has a short crimped rubber tube at the bottom that also looks like it's designed to allow excess oil drain out. Maybe it's a back-up measure.

• martinfan30

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:19 AM

Ok, take a breather!!

When I eliminated my smog and airbox, I ran a line from the crank breather nipple to just under the rear of the tank with a small K&N crank breather filter.

• dldavis_66

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:16 AM

Well, I do admit that I was rather P O ed when I started this thread. But, not at anyone here at TT. I mean the thought of people getting online and putting out misinformation really bugs the heck out of me and I'm sure many others too.

I'm not sorry for what I wrote. I am sorry if I offended anyone here on TT,especially to the guy who gave me a neg rep(I really do not need to know who you are). Any offense was definately was NOT intended.

All the best to everyone here at TT.:cool:

Sincerely,

David

• Old Dog

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:42 AM

Ok, take a breather!!

When I eliminated my smog and airbox, I ran a line from the crank breather nipple to just under the rear of the tank with a small K&N crank breather filter.

I did the exact same thing. :applause: :cool:

After a full season of riding I noticed that it gets kinda cruddy looking, so now I change mine every spring. I also noticed that having a setup like this seems to help keep my oil cleaner longer (uncontaminated by water, etc.). :busted:

• scalejockey

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:49 AM

Just the fax and only the fax.:cool: thanks..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:49 AM

Well, I do admit that I was rather P O ed when I started this thread. But, not at anyone here at TT. I mean the thought of people getting online and putting out misinformation really bugs the heck out of me and I'm sure many others too.

I'm not sorry for what I wrote. I am sorry if I offended anyone here on TT,especially to the guy who gave me a neg rep(I really do not need to know who you are). Any offense was definately was NOT intended.

All the best to everyone here at TT.:cool:

Sincerely,

David

No need to appologize. Misinformation is a bit of a problem at times. I only think the term "char. cannister" is used for that part only as a general term.

Thank you for clearing this up, many will benefit.

• martinfan30

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:50 AM

I did the exact same thing. :busted: :cool:

After a full season of riding I noticed that it gets kinda cruddy looking, so now I change mine every spring. I also noticed that having a setup like this seems to help keep my oil cleaner longer (uncontaminated by water, etc.). :crazy:

Great minds think alike! I also noticed my oil looks damn near new after 1k. miles. :applause:

• Bibleman

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:06 PM

If I'm not mistaken by connecting the breather tube to the airbox you're getting filtered air, so how would the oil stay cleaner with a separate filter on the end of the tube?

• Old Dog

Posted January 27, 2008 - 05:23 PM

If I'm not mistaken by connecting the breather tube to the airbox you're getting filtered air, so how would the oil stay cleaner with a separate filter on the end of the tube?

I've wondered the same thing myself Bibleman. :cool:

The nearest I can figure is that because it's a smaller dedicated filter as apposed to using a bigger shared filter that's enclosed in a box (the air box), it doesn't get the same condensation/moisture build up.

All I know for sure, is that my oil is definitely cleaner using this setup than it was before when it was hooked into the stock setup. Plus, I like the fact that it's tucked up in under the tank, making it higher from the ground (or water if you're crossing a brook, stream, river, etc.) and less likely to let water into you're crankcase if you dump your bike in water, or get in some pretty deep going. :applause:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 28, 2008 - 08:44 AM

When possible, I've tried to gently correct those that called it a charcoal canister.

One useful thing about having it off- can turn the carb to get to the jets!

Dave

• Motosprtman

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:12 AM

so now should I re-install it, and if so what are the connections?

• Rockjockey

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:50 AM

Bibleman, it just takes the crank case breather up higher than the air box in case you encounter deep water. Some prefer it having its own filter, some dont.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.