Play in throttle

7 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted January 26, 2008 - 06:34 PM

On my 2002 yz426 i just bought i noticed they is about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play in the twist before it starts to actually accelerate the motor. I didnt notice this on my 1999yz400 that i just sold. SO when you have the bike running and you twist the throttle the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch of "twist" does not do anything, but after that "play" the bike starts to rev. What can i do to take this slack out?

• 642MX

Posted January 26, 2008 - 06:39 PM

What can i do to take this slack out?

You could adjust the cable.....

• brad the best

Posted January 26, 2008 - 06:44 PM

there should still be some play in the throttle when properly adjusted , around a 1/8"or so .

• 642MX

Posted January 26, 2008 - 06:49 PM

there should still be some play in the throttle when properly adjusted , around a 1/8"or so .

Thats more of a rider preference. I prefer no play in mine. :cool:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2008 - 08:03 PM

The YZF 2 cable throttles are a little different than single cable units. In single cable throttles, the throttle return stop for the slide is at the carb, and the grip itself is stopped by a stop within the grip assembly. That means that the cable free play is the difference between where the grip rests on the stop, and where the cable starts lifting the slide.

In the YZ, there is no stop in the grip. The return of the grip is stopped when the closing cable draws tight against the closed slide, so the free play in the cable is only between the two cables, so even if the play is zero, the cables are not holding the throttle open as they would be in a single cable setup. But before you zero it out, do this: decrease the clearance to about 2 mm, then swing the bars through their entire range, checking the clearance all along. Never go tighter than when the clearance goes to zero at any point in the sweep.

One other thing to check for is whether or not the play you see in the throttle is a result of the tube fitting the handlebar poorly. If the throttle tube is too loose on the bar, it will always feel sloppy.

• bhsballer76

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:10 AM

You could adjust the cable.....

ok, how do i do this?

• 642MX

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:55 AM

ok, how do i do this?

There are 2 10mm nuts on the cable ends (where the cables go into the carb). You can adjust the cables right at the carb. You may need to remove the seat and tank to give you a little more room to work with.

• todds924

Posted January 27, 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thats more of a rider preference. I prefer no play in mine. :cool:

Dang 642, i used to like no play in mine either but after i get tired towards the end of a race, i'm glad i have a little play in there.....Especially through rough whoop sections. Your a brave man!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.