- - - - -

Left Coast AIS Solution

52 replies to this topic
  • JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hi there!

The main reason I took it off was because space is very limited around the engine and it is a HUGE PITA to work on it. LISTENING YAMAHA?????????? I can't wait for fuel injection!

Good Luck!

STS.

It has nothing to do with EFI.

According to the CARB executive orders, the green sticker emissions standards for off road motorcycles are 1.2 g/km for HC and 15.0 g/km for CO. For 2007, the WR 450f tested 0.7g/km for HC and 11.3 g/km for CO. Yamaha chose to submit the bike with a Pulse Air Injection System (PAIR)

In comparison, the Husqvarna TC(motocross)/TXC(enduro) 450/510 got their green sticker cert with a 0.8 g/km on the HC and a 14.3 g/km on the CO....all without the the use of a PAIR

Likewise, KTM got their 450 green sticker certified with a 0.5 g/km on the HC and 10.3 g/km on the CO without the use of a PAIR.

Its important to note that the KLX 450R and CRF 450x were both submitted for testing with a PAIR for their green sticker cert. Its also important to note that KTM and Husqvarna submitted their 50 state street legal enduroswithout a PAIR.

I have no doubt that the WR 450f (or the red and green bikes for that matter)in stock configuration without the AIS would meet the HC and CO standards for green sticker cert. Why did the Japanese MFGs submit the bikes with an AIS? IMHO (and I've said it before) it has to do with the Japanese MFGs desire to comply with emissions standards (as well as saftey standards) by huge margins instead of just squeaking by like their competition.

At first, that doesn't seem like an entirely bad thing. However there is a clause on the executive order that states.

"the vehicles shall also be subject to 13 CCR 2414 (enforcement and recall provisions)"

That subjects the owners of these bikes who have chosen to remove the hideous pieces of crap that makes up the AIS to enforcement by rangers at SVRAs whose time would better be spent giving tickets to speeding quad tards and staging area hotshots :smirk: Its a bad business decision on the part of these manufacturers and its up to the consumer (us) to pressure these manufacturers to either cut the crap (equiping these bikes with AIS) or shop the competition.

There is only one solution to the left coast AIS issue...and thats to get on these MFG's cases so that they submit these bike for testing without all the extra garbage thats on them now. I'm probably going to write Yamaha and give them a piece of my mind. I encourage my fellow WR owners as well as the Honda and Kawi owners to do the same.

Here is the source for my figures
http://www.arb.ca.go...y/2008/2008.php

• sts475

TT Bronze Member

360 posts

Posted February 24, 2008 - 02:19 PM

Wow!

A direct response from a moderator! I'm flattered! Usually I'm getting scolded for something I wrote. Thank you! If you read my post correctly, you should have noticed that I never made any reference between the AIS and fuel injection. You don't change jets on a throttle body so they require much less attention. This will be a welcome thing if Yamaha doesn't change the frame dimensions significantly on the model years to come. Engine management will make it easier for manufacturers to meet future emission requirements. Especially if they go to mass airflow and Lamda. Plus the gains in drivability and mileage will be welcome. You hit the nail directly on the head with the "quad tard" thing. These people are dangerous!

Thanks Again!

STS.

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted February 24, 2008 - 10:10 PM

Wow!

A direct response from a moderator! I'm flattered! Usually I'm getting scolded for something I wrote. Thank you! If you read my post correctly, you should have noticed that I never made any reference between the AIS and fuel injection. You don't change jets on a throttle body so they require much less attention. This will be a welcome thing if Yamaha doesn't change the frame dimensions significantly on the model years to come. Engine management will make it easier for manufacturers to meet future emission requirements. Especially if they go to mass airflow and Lamda.
STS.

Like I said, EFI has nothing to do with it.

When the WRs have EFI, they will have AIS as well regardless of whether they have a catalyst system, O2, MAF, etc...thats how Yamaha (and the rest of the Japanese) roll.

Look at their street bikes and D/S bikes...hell even low compression mild campground bikes like the XT 250s have AIS. The excessive emissions equipment problem is common among all the Japanese mfgs on the street bikes...again most of their european competition have just enough to squeak by on the emissions cert.

Our collective backs are against the wall. KTM, husqvarna, husaberg, etc have proven you dont need an AIS to get a green sticker cert...we need to let Yamaha (and the red and green mfgs) that we don't want bikes that come with choked up intakes, corked up exhausts, and air injection systems.

• dirtysouth

TT Bronze Member

361 posts

Posted February 27, 2008 - 01:38 PM

Like I said, EFI has nothing to do with it.

When the WRs have EFI, they will have AIS as well regardless of whether they have a catalyst system, O2, MAF, etc...thats how Yamaha (and the rest of the Japanese) roll.

Look at their street bikes and D/S bikes...hell even low compression mild campground bikes like the XT 250s have AIS. The excessive emissions equipment problem is common among all the Japanese mfgs on the street bikes...again most of their european competition have just enough to squeak by on the emissions cert.

Our collective backs are against the wall. KTM, husqvarna, husaberg, etc have proven you dont need an AIS to get a green sticker cert...we need to let Yamaha (and the red and green mfgs) that we don't want bikes that come with choked up intakes, corked up exhausts, and air injection systems.

Maybe start a super sticky that has a printable dispute/opposition letter for each member on the TT site to print and sign off on and subsequently send to you or a volunteer member to organize/maintain/conglomerate. The stack of these letters could then be boxed/crated or whatever and sent to either the EPA or to Japanese manufacturers for their review. Dunno if I would just send all the signed documents away never to be seen again until I moved on it, got educated, and found it to be a requirement. [COLOR="Blue"]It would be worth while to track all of the members who sign off on this opposition as it progresses so that the remaining members could be educated/persuaded to join the movement. [/COLOR] May get more of a response from the EPA as they are a government agency and we the people have a voice in everything that goes on legislatively speaking (or so we think). 165,056 members and growing...should be able to get a nice size stack of papers from this site alone:thumbsup: Then there are the other forums that could be approached about the same thing:excuseme:

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted February 27, 2008 - 04:29 PM

Maybe start a super sticky that has a printable dispute/opposition letter for each member on the TT site

Thats a good idea, however I think letters written in each person's own words would have more of an impact than a standardized deal.

• MojaveThumper

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted February 27, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Need some help with mine re-install.

There is a hose that comes off the 'back' of the AIS that dissappears under the seat somewhere. Where exactly does this hoes go? Can't seem to find where I capped the place off.

Thanks.

For those of you wondering, in the manual pg 5-17 index #5.

Probably have to pull the seat.

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted February 27, 2008 - 06:45 PM

Need some help with mine re-install.

There is a hose that comes off the 'back' of the AIS that dissappears under the seat somewhere. Where exactly does this hoes go? Can't seem to find where I capped the place off.

Thanks.

For those of you wondering, in the manual pg 5-17 index #5.

Probably have to pull the seat.

It goes in the airbox fitting, right above the intake tract

• MojaveThumper

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Excellent, thank you.

UPDATE:

Man that was a PITA. Had to loosen the subframe to do it. Funny thing was my Harley neighbor was over and as soon as I broke out the tools and was pulling the sub-frame apart he bailed? WTFO? Always helping this dude work on his bikes. Don't think he liked getting that deep into tearing bikes down. Good thing he wasn't over here when the waterpump seals got replaced. Probably would of been like a newby medic in a triage center.

Thanks to everyone on this board for supporting us out here in the Republic to get our bikes back in inspection order.

Took the WR out for a little spin. Runs the same as it ever did.

Thanks to Dirtysouth for making this happen in a nice timely manner.

• rushfan

TT Silver Member

503 posts

Posted March 08, 2008 - 08:03 PM

OK, so with the help of a fellow rider on in this forum, I found this thread. Instead of reading through all of the pages, I'll just get right to the point...

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!

I need a smog pump for a 05 WR450. Please PM me if you have one, and let's work out the details.

Thanks in advance, rushfan(greg)

:thumbsup:

• Reeper

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:29 PM

I recently performed all the free mods, JD jet kit, leak jet, air fuel adjustment screw.
I left the AIS in tack and the pea shooter exhaust. I rode it and it performed pretty good however I have purchased a FMF Q-4 to let it breath
I'am not so sure that taking off the AIS is worth the risk of a citation or the performance gains unless your racing in which the AIS is robbing performance and weight.

• clark4131

TT Titanium Member

2,218 posts

Posted March 16, 2008 - 11:17 AM

FYI: I'm going to de-sticky this and put a link to it in the Performance Index...SC

• RickSanson

TT Bronze Member

207 posts

Posted March 17, 2008 - 05:47 AM

I have a complete 07 kit if anyone needs it!

• jandmsuburban7

TT Bronze Member

130 posts

Posted April 12, 2008 - 01:10 PM

-s your AIS still for grabs - how bout a phone number so I can hook up with you to get it. Thanks,Jason

Mine is 805-925-3446.

• wyowr450

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted May 21, 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have a ais system off of my 06.

• onlead

TT Bronze Member

120 posts

Posted June 06, 2008 - 11:14 AM

I have one off of my '06 WR450F.

Randy

• jandmsuburban7

TT Bronze Member

130 posts

Posted June 08, 2008 - 11:43 AM

I just got one from a really nice guy out in Wyoming. wyowr450, are you Jacob from Wyoming? If so, thanks again for the AIS unit. If your not him, well, I guess your a nice guy too. Thanks to all of you. I can now look like a legal rider here in Kalifornia. Jason

• wartsnuff

TT Bronze Member

258 posts

Posted June 09, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hey Guys,

i have the complete AIS for a WR450 2008 model year.

cheers
Warts

• wyowr450

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted June 09, 2008 - 08:15 AM

I just got one from a really nice guy out in Wyoming. wyowr450, are you Jacob from Wyoming? If so, thanks again for the AIS unit. If your not him, well, I guess your a nice guy too. Thanks to all of you. I can now look like a legal rider here in Kalifornia. Jason

Thats me. Hope you "don't" enjoy it too much.

• wyowr450

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted June 13, 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hey a friend of mine recently removed his ais system. If anyone wants it let me know. I'll ship it out to you. It is from an 07 wr450. All the hoses and fittings are with it.

• idoc2020

TT Newbie

6 posts

Posted April 02, 2009 - 12:14 PM

If anyone out there still has an AIS off their 05/06 WR450 I am in need of one. Much appreciated.
Thanks. You can PM me
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.