Left Coast AIS Solution

Okay, so it seems the whole California OHV enforcement thing has hit hard on this board, and a lot of us have a problem as our AIS has been removed and now resides somewhere in a landfill. I propose we use this thread to help each other out. If there are any of you out there who still have theirs in a box in the garage and would be more than happy to give it to a brother in need, then let's get the word out.

I have one requirement though...since the parts were going to be tossed anyway, you may not sell them. Those in need will of course be expected to pay for postage, but that's it. Anyone trying to make a buck off another WR bro will have their post deleted and I'm sure the community will respond with bad gas. I want to this to be a good samaritan kind of deal, so let's all do this and have a big old Kum-Bay-Yah moment, whaddya say? :cool:...SC

PS: If someone wants to send me one from an '05/'06, lemme know and I'll come up with a good way to "make it work properly."

• Like 1

Okay, so it seems the whole California OHV enforcement thing has hit hard on this board, and a lot of us have a problem as our AIS has been removed and now resides somewhere in a landfill. I propose we use this thread to help each other out. If there are any of you out there who still have theirs in a box in the garage and would be more than happy to give it to a brother in need, then let's get the word out.

I have one requirement though...since the parts were going to be tossed anyway, you may not sell them. Those in need will of course be expected to pay for postage, but that's it. Anyone trying to make a buck off another WR bro will have their post deleted and I'm sure the community will respond with bad gas. I want to this to be a good samaritan kind of deal, so let's all do this and have a big old Kum-Bay-Yah moment, whaddya say? :busted:...SC

PS: If someone wants to send me one from an '05/'06, lemme know and I'll come up with a good way to "make it work properly."

Dang Clark, establishing legislation regarding a way to snow legislation...are you sure that you don't work for the CVC. :applause: haha...do you have a link or a photo of the AIS. Don't think that one came on my bike but my partner has a shop full of this and that stuff from Yamahas...may get lucky.:cool:

All WR's sold in the US came 50 state legal (at least since 05, maybe earlier?), I actually bought my 07 out of Ohio and researched this before I bought it. In order to be 50 state legal it came with AIS.

Since I am not familiar with what the difference in the 05/06 system is compared to the 07/08 I can't say much about it. I will say that even if you can make it fit and it "looks" different, they can still not allow you to ride or ticket you. That would be "tampering" with smog equipment. Just a heads up. The CARB (California Air Research Board) laws are pretty strict. If the systems look similar you won't have a problem they won't get that picky at the ranger station.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe I'm a little late on the know? I heard through the grapevine that the california BLM is checking for the removal of the kits and siting people that did remove them. Is that true? I removed the one on my 05 but held on to it just in case, also just did the AIS mods on my 08, however did not remove the kit. I just pluged all the hoses and kept the IAS looking as if it was never removed. I plan on doing the same on the 05 so I wont get sited. What do you guys think?

Hi there!

Here's an idea. Leave the system intact and remove the pipe and put in a small freeze plug and put it back on. That way it will not affect performance and it will pass the visual inspection. Also, I really didn't notice a big difference in performance after I took it off. Since this is a "pulse air" system, it uses reversion in the exhaust system to draw in fresh air and dilute the exhaust stream to reduce emissions at the tailpipe. Since the fresh air is introduced at the exhaust side and not at the intake side. It doesn't dilute the combustion process that much and make it lose alot of power. I could have left mine on and not cared about it. The main reason I took it off was because space is very limited around the engine and it is a HUGE PITA to work on it. LISTENING YAMAHA?????????? I can't wait for fuel injection!

Good Luck!

STS.