06 Tensioner questions

6 replies to this topic
  • loudarbs

Posted January 26, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I've been hearing about the 06 yz450's having issues with the cam chain tensioners going bad. My questions is has Yamaha changed the design or improved the tensioners for the 07 and 08s? Or is it still the same one? If they did improve it will the updated design fit on the 06?

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2008 - 09:35 AM

The tensioner is the same '06-'08. I have also "heard of" several tensioners failing, but I only know of one for certain that was actually bad. The pattern seems to be that if they are going to fail it will happen early on, so it seems to be a manufacturing issue. The specific problem in the one I actually know about was a loss of most of the spring tension. The would not cause the tensioner to back off, but would prevent it from advancing to tension the chain, so it would eventually skip.

• loudarbs

Posted January 27, 2008 - 10:10 AM

That's what I figured. Thanks Gray. We use to go to manual tensioners on our roadrace bikes because the spring would eventually lose it's tension after a lot of heat cycles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted January 27, 2008 - 02:15 PM

That's what I figured. Thanks Gray. We use to go to manual tensioners on our roadrace bikes because the spring would eventually lose it's tension after a lot of heat cycles.

A.P.E tensioners ehhhhhhhh? Good stuff!!!!!

• cowboyona426

Posted January 27, 2008 - 09:26 PM

No problems on my 06, but it's a low hour machine.

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2008 - 09:33 PM

The YZF tensioner is a very robust, masterfully simple, effective design that is for the most part, almost entirely foolproof and reliable. My '03 still had the original one on it when it was sold, and that had over 300 hours on it.

Actual tensioner failures (those that can be verified as such) are extremely rare.

• loudarbs

Posted January 29, 2008 - 05:29 AM

A.P.E tensioners ehhhhhhhh? Good stuff!!!!!

Nah. Even better. Home built!:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.