Spring questions!!!

2 replies to this topic
  • Stefe9999

Posted April 12, 2002 - 05:23 PM

So, I went to the racetech website and filled out the forms and found that based on my info that I should have .46 fork springs and a 5.4 for the rear. Ok, no problem. So, first let's see what is in the bike. Since mine is a Euro version, the springs are different according to the manual. The standard Euro fork has a .42, but I think the note in the manual is saying that it is an unequal pitch (progressive rate) spring. Same for the back spring, it is a 4.8, but may also be a progressive. I'm not totally sure if the spring is progressive because the manual is written such that it is hard to tell which spring note applies to.

What kind of riding makes a progressive desireable? Seems like an odd option for non-US bikes.

When using a progressive, would you start with weaker rates like the ones in my bike?

If these aren't progressives, looks like I'm way undersprung at my weight of 215lbs and I think I would notice it.

Thanks

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: Stefe9999 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chaindrive

Posted April 12, 2002 - 06:09 PM

Hey Stefe, good question. My understanding of the manual is that Euro bikes do have the progressive rate springs front and rear. I may be misunderstanding it, too. And over here, it seems, Euro suspension is something KTM guys spend money to get rid of.

The theory behind the name (progressive) sounds good, but you never see anyone here changing to them or even recommending them. I know it means the farther you compress it, the stiffer the resistance. Supposed to give a soft, plush ride while still providing bottoming resistance. Maybe it's just a different way of trying to accomplish what US bikes do with valving and oil levels? One of the local suspension gurus is bound to catch this post and have some intelligent insights. I'm curious, too. :)

• Stefe9999

Posted April 15, 2002 - 05:31 AM

Anybody have any comments here?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.