Prospective XR650R buyer in need of info.

20 replies to this topic
  • SCORPiON5150

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:47 PM

I am very strongly considering the purchase of an 01 XR650R and have a ton of questions. I've used the search function of course and gotten some of my answers already but... Here I am asking! I have ridden 2 strokes the majority of my life, but I do have a yz426f too and love both 2 and 4 strokes all for different reasons. I generally enjoy riding BIG bikes, mostly big bore 2 strokes. I must clarify right now that I have never even SAT on an R, but I have put a couple hours in on an L and loved it.

Any R I am considering will be or will end up dual sported but I assume to spend about 20% of my seat time on pavement. First thing I am wondering how reliable these water cooled 650s are. Can't seem to find anything too bad here on the forum, aside from the initial uncorking and jetting issues which is not really an obstacle to me. I am also wondering what the trans gear set is like on the street, say in comparison to the L? The L's gears kinda sucked IMO on tight trails but were great on the street. I am assuming the 650R will be ok on the road but much better on trails and fire roads?

I am also wondering if anything had changed beside BNG over the 650R's life span? Just wondering if there are beneficial updates that would make me want a newer example than an 01 model. If someone has a link to a timeline or list of model year changes would be awesome!

I am also curious about how the R handles in tight singletrack type riding. That is what I do primarily, with plenty of fire roads thrown in though and I know singletrack is not at all the area the 650R shines, but just curious how it would ride in that situation vs. say my yz426f or the 650L I have ridden. Riding the L in the woods, it was very noticeably heavier than my 426 but still quite manageable. I am under the assumption the R will be better in all areas, offroad vs. the L.

Also would like to hear anything else anyone wants to add for a prospective 650R owner. I have always planned to convert the 426 into a dual sport, but am starting to think the XR650R might be a better option for me, though not quite as nimble as my 426 is.

Thanks guys!

• martinfan30

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:59 PM

If you will be doing only 20% street, the R is your bike. The L is definately geared taller for street use stock. Getting a new R plated in CA. will be a problem. If you want a plated R, look for an older used one. There is a cutoff production date that an R cannot be plated there.

• zrxer

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:26 PM

The 650R does extremely well in single track. I spend a lot of time in 1st through 3rd where I ride. The thing will go 90+ mph with stock gearing so I'm going to try out a 1 tooth smaller (13) countershaft sprocket and see if it will tractor down a little more for REALLY tight 1st gear terrain. I too had a YZ426 but it was a little too busy trying to do any tight single track, 1st gear was just too high. Gear it down for that stuff and it took away too much top end. The 650R is just way more easy and enjoyable to ride in those conditions. :cool: Bruce

• SCORPiON5150

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:53 PM

If you will be doing only 20% street, the R is your bike. The L is definately geared taller for street use stock. Getting a new R plated in CA. will be a problem. If you want a plated R, look for an older used one. There is a cutoff production date that an R cannot be plated there.

The one I have in mind is already plated :cool: But yeah, I am aware of the obstacles here in California. Yet one more reason not to fool with doing it to the YZ426F!

• SCORPiON5150

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:55 PM

The 650R does extremely well in single track. I spend a lot of time in 1st through 3rd where I ride. The thing will go 90+ mph with stock gearing so I'm going to try out a 1 tooth smaller (13) countershaft sprocket and see if it will tractor down a little more for REALLY tight 1st gear terrain. I too had a YZ426 but it was a little too busy trying to do any tight single track, 1st gear was just too high. Gear it down for that stuff and it took away too much top end. The 650R is just way more easy and enjoyable to ride in those conditions. :cool: Bruce

Perhaps I am mistaken on my assumptions that it is not all that wonderful a trail bike? I'd love to hear from more trail riders too! I am not convinced an R is necessarily a BAD trail bike, just assuming it's not a great one...

• knuklehead

Posted January 25, 2008 - 08:27 PM

When sprung stiffer than stock,the R can move pretty good on single track(as long as it's not super tight)Stock it's just to soft IMO.At tha sheet iron this last year ,on the single track from the creek crossing to penny pine's I reeled in and passed about 6/7 guys on varis 450's.At gas one of those guy's came up to me and said he didn't think a BIG PIG could go like that on single track.My riding partner on a KTM450 was amazed at the pace allso.To me it's a GREAT do it all bike.Street/supermoto,duel sport.dez.fire rode blasting,to singletrack.Bought mine new in 01 not one single problem,and rode hard !!!

• creeky

Posted January 26, 2008 - 04:02 AM

My son has a dual sported 650R on which I have spent a lot of seat time. It is a terrific and reliable all-around bike for dual sporting. It does very well on single track, but is heavy and will take its' toll on you if you are not in good physical condition. On fast two tracks you won't be able to wipe off the grin.

• weskc35k

Posted January 26, 2008 - 04:54 AM

If you need a do it all rig the big R is a good start.
It's certainly not the best singletrack bike around but you'll thank yourself when the track opens up a bit.
My R is plated here in Australia and it's going to be my last trail bike,still going to upgrade my MX'ers every 2 years but big red is staying under my roof till my boy inherits it.

• martinfan30

Posted January 26, 2008 - 09:30 AM

If that bike is already plated, why is it not in your garage yet???:cool:

• SCORPiON5150

Posted January 26, 2008 - 05:08 PM

If that bike is already plated, why is it not in your garage yet???:cool:

H&R Block is holding me up until next week!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SCORPiON5150

Posted January 27, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Nothing at all anyone would like to add?

• eli366

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:14 PM

I really liked my 01 650R. It was plated as well. The only issue I had with mine was the 01s used a bushing in the clutch/main shaft that did not allow enough lube. Mine siezed and I replaced it with a newer part number with 2(I believe) oil journals. I caused some damage when it happened. After 01 Honda used the updated bushing.

Otherwise it was a great bike, buy it and enjoy

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 02, 2008 - 08:14 AM

If that bike is already plated, why is it not in your garage yet???:busted:

SHE IS NOW! I bought it! I had to travel about 100 miles and it ended up being in WAY better shape than I could have even imagined. Ridden mostly on the street and the owner said it had only been down 1 time. I have never seen straighter radiators on a used bike!

It has a complete baja designs dual sport kit installed, plated, pmb billet rack, baja designs passenger peg kit, new 606 tires, new chain/sprockets, fully uncorked, and a brand new pro circuit full exhaust. I paid $2800!!!

HOW DID I DO GUYS?

• martinfan30

Posted February 02, 2008 - 08:37 AM

Congrats on the killer buy!

Damn I want an R!!:busted:

• jetfuel

Posted February 02, 2008 - 09:35 AM

Sweet deal I'm envious. have fun with it..:busted:

• Billahjack

Posted February 02, 2008 - 09:48 AM

Congrats on the buy! The bike rides a bit different than the 426, but I'm sure you will get used to it quick.

To make it turn well -
On the trails, just mandhandle it at speed and force the back end to walk out slightly on corners. Comming into a corner, get heavy on the back brake with the front. You want the rear to start to drift slightly to the outside of the next corner before you enter it. Plant the front end (very important) - weight forward, outside elbow up. Unleash hell as soon as you think you can roost out of the corner. If you are going too slow, you can't get the back to slide around as much and you end up turning way slower.

Whoops and Jumps - Keep the weight back and power on, hug the tank with your knees on whoops. The front end on the R is considerably heavier than a yz426 or 2-stroke. The bike tends to buck the rear on kickers if you aren't setup for it.

Suspension - Get it done! The stock suspension is scary-dangerous at speeds over 50mph on nasty ground. Fire roads, street, smoother desert its probably ok. You don't have to go with the mega-$$ Precision Concepts (PC)suspension. With them, you are paying for the name. PC only puts their top secret stuff in the race bikes - not for general customers. There are many good places to get it done in southern California for a 650R. I went with 1 spring rate higher up front than rear because I'm running a 4.6 gallon tank.

Also, you may want to go with a Renthal CR high-bend bar and bigger hand gaurds. This reduces the bar vibration considerably while improving the ergonomics.

Watch the right foot peg bolts and kick starter bolt. Zip tie the radiator shrouds to the top portion of the radiator side frame. You just drill a 1/4" hole in the radiator shroud stiffener ribs on the back side. Other than that, its pretty much bullet proof.

• needsprayer

Posted February 02, 2008 - 01:14 PM

Judging from the list of bikes that you have owned, there is no way you want to miss out on having owned and ridden the true Big Red Pig ( The L is a wannabe lol). This bike is half tractor and half rocket with excellent balance. It has a true scoot and shoot feel.

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 02, 2008 - 03:32 PM

Oh yeah, the guy threw in a brand new never used sand paddle. I almost cringed when he told me he had one. I was super relieved when he said it was new and to hear the bike had never SEEN sand yet.

He also gave me a HUGE HUGE HUGE monster of an IMS fuel tank and some kind of mikuni fuel control thing to go with it. Seems to be the 7 gallon all out baja setup. Anyone have a clue how much this thing and the mikuni stuff is worth or costs? He said well over $500 but I couldn't seem to find much info, even on IMS's web site. I do know I will never need to run a tank THAT big and it will be up for sale soon. If someone reading this is interested certainly shoot me a PM.

Overall I think I really stole this bike for what I payed!

• Frank ZX

Posted February 02, 2008 - 04:07 PM

That was a great deal!You will love the bike.
Rich and Denn 10,when are ya'll going to get a R?The L is a great bike,but the R is alot more fun.When I had my L,I always thought the R couldn't be that much better.I was wrong.
I just wish I could afford to own both a L and R.

• martinfan30

Posted February 02, 2008 - 04:21 PM

When she lets me!:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.