Possibly a cheaper solution to carbeuration woes

4 replies to this topic
  • Ironbeak

Posted October 17, 2002 - 07:08 PM

I currently own 2 Hondas - an XR650R with street tires for eating up the canyons and a Shadow 1100 Aero for touring. Anyway, a commonly known solution to carbeuration problems among Shadow riders, particularly those on Hondashadow.net, is a product called Dial-A-Jet. It's made by Thunder Products. Here's a URL to the Hondashadow.net forum search page.

http://hondashadow.net/forum.php

Do a search for dial-a-jet or just "daj" for short. It sounds pretty interesting, and I don't see why it wouldn't work for an XR650R.

Dial-A-Jet only costs about $120 or so and supposedly enables you to instantly adjust your jetting situation to compensate for bike mods in addition to changes in elevation. It's also said to smooth out throttle response and actuall INCREASE fuel economy. (Weird.) The Edelbrock Quicksilver carb seems too expensive to me, and Dyno'ing the stock carb ain't cheap either.

You can check out Dial-A-Jet by going to Thunder Products' website at: http://www.thunderproducts.com/

If anyone has any thoughts on this idea, please reply.

• qadsan

Posted October 17, 2002 - 08:11 PM

The Dial-A-Jet is an interesting product that's been around a while and probably more common in sled applications where higher engine RPM is more common for longer periods of time. I've heard good things about this product for sled applications, but I haven't heard too much about it for quite some time in off road motorcycle applications. Varner Motorsports also has a similar product. There's also the Holtzman Variflow that works a bit differently in that I recall it adjusting float bowl pressure based on barometric pressure changes to acheive similar results as opposed to using an adjustable jet. All these products are interesting and may provide some value, but jetting a carb to work well isn't that hard to do if you have a good baseline to work with. Once you know what jetting works well for your bike, you can apply correction factors to determine your needs based on your riding environment. If you're going to be riding at altitudes of plus or minus 3000 feet from your normal riding locations, then something like this might be handy to quickly tune your bike.

These types of products are in a different category than the Edelbrock as they don't provide an internal fuel cell for consistant fuel delivery under demanding conditions and easier starting if you dump your bike, nor do they offer a pump shot for improved low end throttle response, etc.

If you're solely looking for an easy way to keep your bike tuned well without changing jets, then these products might be what you're looking for. If however you're looking for improved low end throttle response (better than the stock carb can offer), easier starting when your bike is dumped, etc, then you may want to look more seriously at something like the Edelbrock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Serpexc

Posted October 21, 2002 - 06:39 AM

How about an FCR Keihin, or an HSR series Mikuni? I think flat slides pumpers are better than CV type carbs in the dirt, not my experience, as I haven't owned a CV carbed bike for the dirt.

• qadsan

Posted October 21, 2002 - 08:05 AM

How about an FCR Keihin, or an HSR series Mikuni?

They're also good products too. The CV carbs seem to work pretty well for certain applications from talking with others, but the concept doesn't appeal to me for off road use with all the pounding a dirt bike or quad takes. Seems like the slide would be fighting the G's if the bike/quad was used agressively.

• motometal

Posted October 27, 2002 - 03:48 AM

I agree in theory. doesn't the Yamaha Raptor (quad) have cv carbs? It's off road only...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.