Any one Blow up a wr?

17 replies to this topic
  • commie

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:15 PM

My friend wasted his wr. He is a maintenance Nazi. Clean the air filter, changes oil. Is this usual?

• RSAthump

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Quite simply, no. How old is the bike ? anything will break when it gets old enough, My riding buddy has an 02 with 17000 miles on it, hasnt touched the motor, oil changes every three rides. WR's and Yamaha's in general are more relaible.

• redswr

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:37 PM

nope... not yet. my 99 has been royally abused too. i ran an hour long race in the dunes with the hot start stuck on, went on a 15min ride without any oil, rode 2 laps on a dusty track then remembered my air filter was at my house and havn't changed the oil in it since 4 dune weekends ago. things still running great! kicks over first kick and doesn't give me any problems.

• 07thommi

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:41 PM

Nope.

The faithfull ol WR is still ticking away! No problems here probably one of the most reliable bikes that I have ever owned!

What year and model was his bike, and what happened?

-mt-

• matt4x4

Posted January 25, 2008 - 04:23 AM

nope... not yet. my 99 has been royally abused too. i ran an hour long race in the dunes with the hot start stuck on, went on a 15min ride without any oil, rode 2 laps on a dusty track then remembered my air filter was at my house and havn't changed the oil in it since 4 dune weekends ago. things still running great! kicks over first kick and doesn't give me any problems.

There's a great durability test, but I feel the ice under your feet is making some scary sounds!

My 2000 still going strong too, just gave it a much needed face lift, and have to check my valve clearances on the weekend since that should be done yearly.

• 1157mik

Posted January 25, 2008 - 07:33 AM

hi, my wr 99 let go 5 week`s ago on a mountain road after 100k, trail riding, don`t know whether i was gunnin it too much or what but the bottom end froze up,
it was a hot day and it may have run short on water, still not 100 percent why it went tho, maybe the shop will tell me, i`ve just shipped it to england for new crank,bearing`s etc

good excuse for both hotcams,and a dark trip over to the su-mo side for a bit,good excuse to but more parts for it anyway:crazy:

• redswr

Posted January 25, 2008 - 04:38 PM

There's a great durability test, but I feel the ice under your feet is making some scary sounds!

the only thing i can hear from the motor is timing chain slap... i'm gonna give it some new plastics and graphics then sell it though.

• WR_Dave

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'm betting it's drive chain slap on the swingarm that you are hearing. Install some door weather strip under the swingarm chain slider and it quiets down alot. WR Dave

• redswr

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:04 PM

I'm betting it's drive chain slap on the swingarm that you are hearing. Install some door weather strip under the swingarm chain slider and it quiets down alot. WR Dave

yeah... i have that problem too but i can hear the timing chain also when the bikes not moving.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:17 PM

yeah... i have that problem too but i can hear the timing chain also when the bikes not moving.

Dang RoboEar I thought that I was the only one listening for crickets in my drivetrain. Thought I was hallucinating a few times after I adjusted my valves the first time since I suddenly began hearing every little noise my bike made. Thought once on a test ride that I had a bearing or a shaft squealing and it turned out to be my cellphone ringing. After that I gave up and decided to just ridehertillshedies.....she aint dead yet:thumbsup:

• brad the best

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:22 PM

03 wr still going strong . valves are still within original spec , and it is usually ran every weekend and during the week . i think i will have to re -shim in the fall though .

shit happens really , with out looking at the engine can't really say what happened .

• redswr

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:23 PM

Dang RoboEar I thought that I was the only one listening for crickets in my drivetrain. Thought I was hallucinating a few times after I adjusted my valves the first time since I suddenly began hearing every little noise my bike made. Thought once on a test ride that I had a bearing or a shaft squealing and it turned out to be my cellphone ringing. After that I gave up and decided to just ridehertillshedies.....she aint dead yet:thumbsup:

lol... yeah the only time i've ever had anything break down on me was when i treated it nice. my 87 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 was driven hard everytime i got in it... one morning i decided to let her warm up and what did she do? she blew the timing chain and dropped both the exhaust and intake valves right in the path of the piston:rant: now everytime i fire something up i floor it before it gets to thinking about blowing up on me!:cool:

• steve86

Posted January 25, 2008 - 07:34 PM

I have an '87 hardbody right now with the 2.4l four in it (only 60k miles). Was yours the four or the six?

• redswr

Posted January 25, 2008 - 08:36 PM

I have an '87 hardbody right now with the 2.4l four in it (only 60k miles). Was yours the four or the six?

it was the 6... right after i replaced the top end and the chain the water pump went out so i had to take the chain back off 2 days later :applause: great truck though :cool: had 135,000 when all this happened now has 160,000 and new owner with no problems.

• SXP

Posted January 25, 2008 - 08:39 PM

I've still got my 86.5 Nissan Harbody which I bought new in 1986. It's now 22 years old. It's the 2.4 L four banger and it has never let me down. The odo crapped out about 10 years ago at 250K miles and I estimate it now has somewhere between 300K-400K miles on it now.

• taycam

Posted January 26, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Wow I'm so glad to hear how tough the Wr is. I just bought a 450 demo this fall,its my first Yami since 81 RD350. Been riding Suzi and Honda's for years with good luck. So I'm a little paranoid:confused:

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 26, 2008 - 11:31 PM

These stories warm my heart :applause: Keep um coming :cool:

• stokebloke

Posted January 26, 2008 - 11:51 PM

had my 2000 wr 400 sieze up on me..looks like the oil pump went down on it and then took the big end out/or big end went on it and took oil pump out not sure on which way round???? i live in the uk and ordered my parts from the usa as it saved me a lot of money

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.