87 xr600 improvements?

2 replies to this topic
  • mlb731

Posted January 24, 2008 - 08:16 PM

I have a chance to buy an 87 xr600 for $600 thats in pretty good mechanical condition but has a rough body. Does anybody know if the later model tank, side panels, and seat with fit an 87. I prefer the look of the 88-01 and they seem to be easier to find. Also I would like to add the 91 swingarm with the rear disc brake. Will this bolt on as well? And my final question is, I spotted a 87 with inverted front shocks from a CR probably, any ideas about what years/models with fit the 87 frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:25 AM

A lot of stuff fits between years for plastic. On my 04 650L I have frame guards, and brake guards off my 89' xr 600. I also put some CR500 parts, such as the rear brake guard, and the front rim fit. I just couldn't use the speedo pickup. As for your rear swingarm swap, I have contemplated putting my CR500 suspension on my XR 600. I have always loved my 89'XR, but HATE that drum setup. I am in process of trying to see where the CR parts will fit between bikes. The rear swingarm is 80% sure a fit. As for the brake actuator it looks like I need to weld the piece in place. The front shocks are a bolt and go with regular forks. USD's you'll probably want to try and fit the whole triple to the bike. Try to stay in the early 90's for swaps to the 87'.
Here is an 89'
Posted Image

• cleonard

Posted January 25, 2008 - 09:50 AM

Do some searches. I seem to remember someone posting about the drum to disc conversion. If I remember correctly mounts for the maser cylinder had to be fabricated.

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.