2000 Wr400

4 replies to this topic
  • Hondathumper450

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hello,
To start off I am a XR400 owner. I just talked with soemone who has a 2000 WR400 with a dual sport kit and plated. He wants another XR400 and we are talking about trading.
Can anyone tell me if there is anything about the WR that would be not worth a trade? What are the pros and cons? any issues with the WR400 that is a serious problem?
Please let me know if I should switch to the Blue side of the world.
By the way I like the looks of the yammie and being a DS and plated is a plus for me. A bit more pwer on the engine compared to the XR is a plus as well.
Any and all things I would love to hear from yoou WR400 owners. especially if any regrets from the blue side of the world

• matt4x4

Posted January 25, 2008 - 04:45 AM

I think the reason you haven't received an answer is because you just insulted the WR's with this:

"A bit more pwer on the engine"

I believe the XR makes about 32 HP where the WR makes about 50, so there's a big difference.

The WR comes on very strong, but is an amazing bike, the 2000's are a great - problem free machine, as long as you know how to start them.

The only real issue seems to be the possibility of a cracked plate (engine side looking into carb on the slider in the carb - not sure why that happens, backfiring?? :cool:

The valves on the 2000 are still steel not titanium and tend to last a lifetime compared to the titaniums which wear faster. There's lots of people who haven't even checked theirs in years.

There's one other issue that seems common, 1st to second is a longer than normal throw and many complain that they end up in Neutral frequently - happened to me a few times too.

All in all, a SOLID bike that performs EXTREMELY well, you'll have to adjust your riding style quite a bit coming off an XR since the WR always seems to want an extra gear - it's easier to maneuvre through terrain that way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hondathumper450

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:45 AM

I think the reason you haven't received an answer is because you just insulted the WR's with this:

"A bit more pwer on the engine"

I believe the XR makes about 32 HP where the WR makes about 50, so there's a big difference.

The WR comes on very strong, but is an amazing bike, the 2000's are a great - problem free machine, as long as you know how to start them.

The only real issue seems to be the possibility of a cracked plate (engine side looking into carb on the slider in the carb - not sure why that happens, backfiring?? :cool:

The valves on the 2000 are still steel not titanium and tend to last a lifetime compared to the titaniums which wear faster. There's lots of people who haven't even checked theirs in years.

There's one other issue that seems common, 1st to second is a longer than normal throw and many complain that they end up in Neutral frequently - happened to me a few times too.

All in all, a SOLID bike that performs EXTREMELY well, you'll have to adjust your riding style quite a bit coming off an XR since the WR always seems to want an extra gear - it's easier to maneuvre through terrain that way.

Sorry to all if I ofended, the statement of A BIT MORE POWER is the XR does have a cam in it and even thought he stock torque is there the mid and upper is more than a stock XR. I do know the power difference becuase I had a 2003 CRF450R, then a XR650R and now the XR400. The WR400 also has an edelbrock on it, non-pumper but not the stock carb problems you speak of.
Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated. Sorry if I offended anyone especially if I come over to the Blue side of the world

• 1157mik

Posted January 25, 2008 - 07:28 AM

hi, it`s a totally different bike compared to the xr, you`ll need to change the oil more often but it`s a minor price to pay, :cool:

• matt4x4

Posted January 25, 2008 - 08:49 AM

haha!! I was just kidding with the offending comment!
Well, it sounds like a good bike - power wise, it'll actually be close to the 450R - my neighbour had one - ex canadian pro bike, so it was hard to ride on more than the rear tire, but my WR reminds me of it when it comes to power.

Once you go blue, you'll stay true.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.