Dunlop D606 feedback

19 replies to this topic
  • cb60130

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:22 PM

I currently have a Dunlop 739at Desert on the back and have run the Maxxis IT and Desert IT. I was just killing some time and $$ in the shop yesterday and saw a 606 on the shelf. It looked pretty meaty.... just wondering from anybody who has run it...What did you think?? I do put a plate on the back of my pig once in a while but I ride about 95% desert and 5% street. It would be nice to have a tire that was actually DOT legal and performed well off road, and could hold up to the abuse an uncorked 650R dishes out to the rear tire. I am looking for feedback on the 606 only....I have run a bunch of the others so I already know what I wanna know about them.... thanks

• Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:53 PM

mines not on a R but a L and i have about 90% street, and hard wheel raising take offs from stops and it has about 1500 miles on it, was on the bike when i got it but pretty new so prolly not much more out of hard street riding. There pretty good off road tires as there the most aggressive dot knobbie. Ill buy another rear and when front goes ima try something else. Hope that helps any.

• martinfan30

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:58 PM

A friend of mine just put some 606's on his L and hes pretty happy.

• Blacksamwell

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:07 PM

I just spooned a fresh D606 on my pig last week and scrubbed it in over the weekend at Ocotillo Wells.

My GPS says I did just under 90 miles of riding. I spent most of my time running along the sand washes and exploring the smaller winding trails. The leading edges of the tread lugs are just starting to wear.

The tire seems to hook up very well in the dry conditions at Ocotillo. The tread lugs are tall enough that they give you some bite in the deep sand and the rounded profile made fast sweeping flat track style corner exits very predictable.

When I started shopping for a DOT legal knobby, I was worried that I'd have to give up off-road performance. But I have to say I'm impressed with things so far. I don't feel they give up anything.

My bike isn't yet plated so I don't have any input on the tire's behavior on the road.

Hope that helps. I'm sure the gang can give more info. :cool:

• Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:55 PM

I am looking for feedback on the 606 only....I have run a bunch of the others so I already know what I wanna know about them.... thanks

CMON martin get off that sauce you drink for breakfast n lunch!!!:cool: HAHA

• Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:56 PM

My bike isn't yet plated so I don't have any input on the tire's behavior on the road.

road use is not the best, vibration is the killer at highway speeds of 55 and up, might balance my next one to see if that helps since im more the street L guy ( have offroad bikes that woop a L)

• jonr3

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:00 PM

I've got 606s front and rear on my 650L. On the highway, they tend to sing quite a bit and anything over 75 mph gets a little hairy as the front starts to shimmy.

Off-road, they do well in mud, sand, and rocky terrain, although I have had the front want to washout a couple of times in loose, dry dirt.

They seem to wear fairly fast - although I can only compare them to the DeathWings I had on this bike before. (not a fair comparison). I think I am going to try a set of MEFO knobbies next time and see how they compare...

• CReffex

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:14 PM

I'me on my 2nd 606 on my L.. Do about 75/25 slab/dirt.. Got about 4000 miles out of the first one and it wasn't completely used up... Very predictable in the corners w/ the rounded side knobs, but will still get light in the rear on those knee draggers.... Loud at speed, but no vibes or wobbles up to around 100.. Hook up well on soft rocky conditions and gravel.. A little firm for the harder packed slick stuff, but dig through the mud fairly well.. I'd like run a tire that got a few more road miles, but really haven't seen a good alternative w/o giving up off-road ability...

Hope that helped...

• dezracerE

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:34 PM

I use the Dunlops and Maxxis deserts and I did try a 606 on one ds bike.
IMO- they suck in the sand in comparison but the wear and traction on hard pack was pretty good.

• YNOTRIDE

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:16 PM

I just spooned a fresh D606 on my pig last week and scrubbed it in over the weekend at Ocotillo Wells.

My GPS says I did just under 90 miles of riding. I spent most of my time running along the sand washes and exploring the smaller winding trails. The leading edges of the tread lugs are just starting to wear.

The tire seems to hook up very well in the dry conditions at Ocotillo. The tread lugs are tall enough that they give you some bite in the deep sand and the rounded profile made fast sweeping flat track style corner exits very predictable.

When I started shopping for a DOT legal knobby, I was worried that I'd have to give up off-road performance. But I have to say I'm impressed with things so far. I don't feel they give up anything.

Sam left out one detail, the tire hooks up so good in high speed sandy burms that it is possible to get launched 25 feet like a lawn dart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:49 PM

4000 miles on a rear 606??? no way

• cb60130

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:17 PM

thanks for the input guys.... I might try it next time around. It'll be a while yet since the 739 has only 45 miles on it. and how do you get 4000 miles on any rear?? I've been gettin around 700 or so on the Maxxis Desert IT thinking it was ok....

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:37 PM

I've run several 606's and MT21's on my R when I had it. In those 4 years I put over 9000 miles on the bike and probably went through 10 rears. I preferred the 606 over the MT21, but only slightly. In my opinion, it is a pretty good all around tire. The best mileage I got was 800 miles on one. I have yet to find a DOT front tire that worked for me. The stock 739 handled turns better than any I tried, even on the street.

• zimak

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:41 PM

I'm running a new set now. Have about 200 miles on them. Maybe 20 or so onroad. They hold up great onroad and off but they are definately short of the Maxis IT Desert I had on before.
Great all around.
Garbage and I mean big time in the sand. Now silt and a little sand (like Jean dry lake bed area) was fine, but my local close the house riding area is 50/50 half rocky hillclimbs and half full out dunes and they are really bad in the dunes.
Thats my only complaint but then I knew that when I bought them.

• CReffex

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:21 PM

Yea, 4k on my first 606... ALOT of gravel and dirt, but a good bit of slab too and i'm usually pretty hard on tires.. Guess not??? No lie, I mean theres really no way to prove it to you guys.. But scouts honor I guess...

• spotsboss

Posted January 25, 2008 - 09:11 AM

On asphalt, it howls like a wounded coyote. My 650 R is a dual sporter, so I think I'll try something like a Conti TKC80 next time.

:cool:

• hill5150

Posted January 25, 2008 - 10:53 AM

4000 miles on a rear 606??? no way

Ditto that.......I destroyed mine in a month Street/Dirt, I just run Maxxis HT all the time now, the :applause: do not know the difference, just keep your speed down on the freeway and try not to be Kenny Roberts in the turns.....:cool:

• Thorndike

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:46 PM

I use to run 606 front and rear, but the front end washed out to easy. I changed to a 756 front and it made a big difference, but wears out really fast. I have just put a Maxes on the front and so far it works well. In the back I liked the 606, but now run a Maxes Desert. It seems to last longer than the 606. I ride mostly desert, with 10-20-30 mile pavement conectors. I would rather have traction and tire life over being DOT legal.

• haggeo

Posted January 26, 2008 - 04:39 PM

maybe i'm going deaf but my 606's are not noisy on the road and are feel very solid at all speeds. i was worried about both problems and planned to ride them conservatively until i got used to them but i ended up stomping around my neighborhood at high speeds until my neighbors came out to glare at me.

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 26, 2008 - 05:35 PM

I got a 606 on my L, i ride like an ******* on both road and dirt and its still @ 75% after 1000 miles! I am pretty impressed! :cool:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.