xr650l vs 2008 Ninja 250r

22 replies to this topic
  • red_rider_elsinore

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:27 AM

I am debated wether to get a new 2008 Ninja 250r or a used xr650l. They both weigh about the same and have about the same power. The ninja looks to have better wind protection and a 6-speed and is $3,499 msrp. For that price I would have to get a used xr650l.The only difference I see is the xr would have more torque. The 250r looks to make power very high rpm. [21.7 Nm {2.21 Kgf/m} 16.0 lb-ft @ 10,000 rpm] I already have a 400ex and a yz426f so I just wanted a commuter bike. The new Ninja looks very nice.
Posted Image
I want a low maintence, good mpg bike that I can cruise in the highway if I have to. Where I live there's a lot of back roads, but just in case I would need to ride in the highway.

Which one would make a better commuter bike?

• jetfuel

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:17 AM

I think I would still go with the "L" it's just so bullet proof and versatile. it's tall seat height seems to be its only minor complaint from shorter people.
It will go literally anywhere from single track to highway no problem. It's the most used bike in my garage .. 2nd the WR450 ..3rd Kawasaki concours.
It's just so addictive to ride a "dirt bike" anywhere you want..:cool:
I personally would be a bit aprehensive of taking something that small on the highway.. But not the XRL.
That little ninja does seem nice for the price.
Ultimately it's all in what makes YOU happy.. :applause:

• Kyron

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:44 AM

How long is your highway drive?

Those 250 ninjas are real buzzy

• 30-A rider

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:53 AM

For what you willing to spend on a new 250 ninja Id find myself a proven lower milage full sized street bike for commuting purposes. Anything with Hoda'a proven V4 motor is excellent....that and shaft drive for no maintenance. IMO your best solution for most effective proven reliable commuter. Now if you must choose between XR650L and 250 Ninja I would say get the 650 used...it wont loose as much value compared toa new Ninja once driven off the dealer lot dropping in value at least $500-1000.

• cleonard

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:14 PM

It really depends on what you are trying to do.If you are a big guy forget it the Ninja is pretty small. The Ninja also doesn't last too long since you have to keep it at 10,000+ rpm to get some juice out of it. The red line is a screaming 14,000. A few love the little Ninja, but most do not. Many get one as a first bike and then sell it after 6 months or a year. If you keep an eye out you can get a good deal on a almost new used one. The plus side is up to 70 mpg if you are easy on the throttle. It will go on the super slab, but it doesn't have the passing power of a larger street bike.

They do not have the same power. The Ninja is all top end and the 650L is all about low end grunt. In stock form the Ninja has a higher top speed at right around 100.

The 650L can go up curbs and other obstacles a lot better than the Ninja. That can save you in a bad situation.

For what it's worth, I save my plated XR600 for the dirt. In nice weather I commute to work on an 80 CM400 that I picked up for $200. It doesn't have the bling or performance of the Ninja, but it gets the job done. It only costs about $50/yr for insurance. Can't get much cheaper than that.

• martinfan30

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:41 PM

XRL all the way. That Ninja will bore you in 6 months. The XRL can save you in bad situations onroad as CL said.

• Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:49 PM

Heres a brain twister not compare the L to a honda CBR600??? i have both and prolly wouldnt put a nija 250 vs a 650L

• red_rider_elsinore

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:28 PM

I'm 5'9" 180lbs. I've driven dirtbikes most of my life. The only time I've driven a bike on the street is when I go to baja. I found a 1993 xr650l at a local bike shop for $1,600. That's probably be the one I'll get. Thanks for the responses. I usually take the back roads to work so 55mph. Do they have passing power. I drive a Nissan Titan, and I know the xr650l is quicker 0-60, but would it have the same passing power?

thanks
oliver

• martinfan30

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:41 PM

It'll pass almost anything that you NEED to pass. Especially if rejetted and piped. If it isnt, that should be the FIRST thing you do to the pig.:cool:

• Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:52 PM

for 60mph and less your fine, there just not the same as say my 600rr at 75mph. But youll be fine, youll be on here asking bout tweaks and HP upgrades prolly in a week or 2 Not a bad price $1600.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CReffex

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:18 PM

like comparing apples to oranges...

Ninja would seem to be a bit shakey in highway traffic, but prob. a smoother ride on the minor highway flat-top.

But the L is a great commuter, good mileage if you can keep your hand out of it...
And you have the option of tearing up any dirt road or trail you may come across..

I'd vote the L for the versitility..
As far as price, I've seen several good used L's, w/ the right mods, and maitenence, going for less that 3K.. Can't beat that...

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:40 PM

The XRL will pull better wheelies!!!

Dave

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:43 PM

Buy the XRL and buy my spare F4i engine. Put it in the XRL and you'll have and enduro with passing power. Might lose 50cc, but how about gaining 65hp? :applause:

:cool:

I dunno, I don't really like Kawasaki products, but I think a street bike would be better based on what you want to do and what you already have. I would be looking more for a used CBR600 If I had $3500 to sink on a bike.

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:54 PM

Can you put an 18 rear and 21 front on the ninja? If so, go ninja off-rosd
:cool:

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, offroad would be fun.....

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted January 25, 2008 - 01:33 PM

That picture had my jaw hitting the ground!:cool:

WOW!

That is something you found on the net?

• knuklehead

Posted January 25, 2008 - 03:38 PM

The only thing that could be better about that pic,could be a xr650l roosting right on by that YZF.GET THE L over the little ninja!!

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:12 PM

WOW!

Yeah, on some random picture site. I'm amazed the rider got that far before sinking it.

• jetfuel

Posted January 25, 2008 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, offroad would be fun.....

Posted Image

WOW!

Heres the full story on that bike and the guy who rode it.. :applause: check out links to the dozen or so videos of him at the bottom of this home page link http://www.sjaaklucassen.nl/eng.html
Enjoy:thumbsup: you'll certainly have some opinions of this after you review it ..

• Itchykawa

Posted January 25, 2008 - 10:43 PM

The Ninja won't bunny-hop a curb, climb a ditch, and get you out of a traffic jam. :applause: I've done it on my 650L several times. :cool:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.