Milky oil in the breather hose

7 replies to this topic
  • chewbacca yz450

Posted January 23, 2008 - 10:41 PM

Anybody know why i have milky oil coming out of my valve cover breather hose? Its a breather hose right? Why or what is sucking milky oil out of my valve cover breather hose??

• Fletch 2

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:53 AM

It sound like you got a little bit of coolant getting into your oil, regardless of how much water tho its still not good. Might be a head gasket but whatever the problem i would rectify it before running the bike anymore. Thats just my take on it tho.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:47 AM

If your oil itself is not milky, and shows no signs of water contamination, what you are seeing is atmospheric moisture condensed in the tube as it cools off. In that case, it's of no concern. Milky engine oil is another matter.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:38 AM

Anybody know why i have milky oil coming out of my valve cover breather hose? Its a breather hose right? Why or what is sucking milky oil out of my valve cover breather hose??

I would drain your oil and check it's color. If it is milky when you drain, you have a leak, probably in the head area where the water jackets are. Replace head gasket. Good luck!:cool:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stroker101

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:53 PM

If your oil itself is not milky, and shows no signs of water contamination, what you are seeing is atmospheric moisture condensed in the tube as it cools off. In that case, it's of no concern. Milky engine oil is another matter.

agree

• chewbacca yz450

Posted January 24, 2008 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, my engine oil looks good. I will go with the condensation. I was thinking in the direction of seals or head gasket but as already mentioned the oil looks good. Thanks for everybodys help

• Unibomber

Posted January 25, 2008 - 02:10 PM

Got a chuckle when I read this question, not because of the question per'say but because of its frequency. Bet its reached the thousand mark, and I my self prolly asked it back in the day. :applause:
But yes its normal, usually because of said condensation mixing with dirt and dust from the ride, resulting in the milky look :cool:

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2008 - 03:06 PM

The milky appearance will result from the oil and water mixing absent any dirt. This happens as a result of the detergent/dispersant properties of the oil. It emulsifies the water as soap does. It's harmless in the breather, a disaster in the crankcase.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.