blown fork seal

3 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted January 23, 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hey fello tters,

I blew a fork seal last weekend. I really dont know how it happand but i think it was either due to some freak inccident or i pulled down on my tie downs to tight and blew the right seal. Its not leaking that bad and at times it completly stops.. My question to you guys. What kind of damage can i expect if i continue to ride on a blown seal if any.. Im planning on having enzo rebuild the front forks after im done riding this weekend.

thanks
josh

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:16 AM

Probably not much damage, but the fork could start to feel mushy and bottom a lot. It will make a mess, too, and if it's leaking on the brake side (and why wouldn't it be?), it can ruin your brake pads.

It started leaking because of one of 3 reasons:

> There's dirt under the seal.

> The fork tube has a scratch or a nick in it, and/or the seal is damaged by dirt, a scratch, or a nicked tube.

> The seal is worn out.

It has nothing to do with tying the bike down unless you think that you can put more pressure on the forks seals that way than by taking them from full extension in the air to the bottom of their travel off a jump.

On the assumption that you have the first problem, try the tear off/film strip trick:

Remove the fork guard for better access, then pull down the outer dust seal with a thin screwdriver. Clean out around the exposed surface of the seal. Then take a strip of a tear off or a film negative and slip it under the lip of the seal, between the seal and the tube. Roll it around the tube as you pulll it back out, so as to dislodge any grit that might be caught in the seal. Be sure to go all the way around a couple of times.

Run a little bead of grease around the tube between the seal and the dust seal and slide the dust seal back in place.

Odds are it will stop leaking. If you read your manual, you will see that Yamaha recommends cleaning around the fork seals after every ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted January 24, 2008 - 08:47 AM

What Gray said.

Sounds just like some dirt is stuck in the seal.

• Slinkyman16

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:26 AM

thanks for the info.. ill do that today..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.