NEW (To Me) BRP. in tha garage. Scary to look at.

17 replies to this topic
  • Sixotoo

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:20 PM

Well it all started with me retiring at the ripe old age of 47. Gotta love it. Free money right. I had been living in TX, hunting...With a radar gun...Sick of that crap. Anyway, moved back to my state of birth and of choice Pennsylvania. Have a house in the mountains, Actually in the city but there are only 200 people in the zip code so its not too dense. Was thinking about a snowmobile but the snow up here is hard to predict and sparse at best. Would love a big chopper to cruise the twisty, winding roads but really couldnt get my head around $30k. Hmmm perhaps a dirtbike to play with. Would be nice if it was street legal too.
Started browsing the forums and ebay. it appears to me that the nuttiest bunch are crazy about the honda XR650R. I do some more research and ...well, now I own one.
Went and picked it up today. 7 hours of u-haul trailer pulling and it's in the garage.
2000 model but in great shape. Has been uncorked. 6 gal gas tank. New chain. Nothing bent visibly. Figured I would play with it and if I like it..pop it back on ebay and look for a brand new one. May not have to though, this one looks like it has been looking for me for years. :cool:

Going to check all the normal stuff that goes wrong tomorrow then pray for sun and warmth. 3-4 inches of snow on the ground at the moment.

The bike is so tall! I have always had street bikes. 650 yamaha. 1100 honda sabre 1100 Honda Magna twice (great Bike) 1100 Shadow (crap)

Was funny, I had never heard one running before today and now I know why the Thumper moniker. Could feel it in my chest. Go ahead, snicker.

So, now, question 1. How do u kick this thing over without bustin yer ass. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and I'm on tiptoes on it. I would hate to try to explain how I broke both legs trying to start it. It is a beast!

I'm gonna have to start running and lifting a few weights (beers) before spring if I hope to ride it.

Any words of wisdom other than pay up your insurance?

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 23, 2008 - 09:20 PM

to start it, turn the choke on, turn the motor over slowly until it it gets really hard (find top dead center). then pull the decompression lever (little one on above clutch lever) move kick start to just past TDC then let 'er rip. don't give it any throttle at all. no throttle

• weskc35k

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:08 AM

Lets go back a few steps ...hunting with a radar gun,it's the police.
Errrr,.... welcome big fella.

• Old Graybeard

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:49 AM

Welcome aboard. Congrates on the purchase.

Retired cop? 6'1, 200 lbs., afraid of busting yer ass? Comon big fella, where's yer ego? lol Seriously, even though I have a magic button (650L) I'm sure you'll master it quickly. As far as that cop thing, I've got all the respect in the world for lawmen. I could never do it. Congrates on getting out of Texas. I've got a sister who lives in Dallas and Texans drive me nuts! lol

I'm just across the border in Ohio. Maybe some time we can hook up and do a quick Marionville loop.

Have fun with the "R". OGB

• absynth01

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:09 AM

It's no sweat. TDC pull in your decompression lever and kick. My buddy is 175 and struggles, but she usually starts easy. I'm 270 and noticed on my XR 600 R also, if you pull the decompression lever it seems to stay "easy", until it bumps over, or backfires. PA is a great state to ride D/S. We have property near Bald Eagle, and if you are near there, you are in the good spot. This area is basically dirt/mountain roads south the whole state. We also have some enforcement guys that ride with us. In our town Lewisberg is near as well as Allenwood. Many a partying off duty jailor to be found.
TIP- look at your states DCNR web sight for snowmobiles. Look closely at the central trail system. Most of these trails are "roads" in the summer. Your biggest problem is to get a plate for your R. Most areas we are riding strictly say "no ATV's", and well patroled. If you are legal and plated, they usually just pull to the side and let you go by. We have a 600R and 2 650R's plated, and not had ANY trouble!!!Good luck, and I'll always be lookin for Hondas in the trails!!:cool:

• scalejockey

Posted January 24, 2008 - 06:20 AM

If you say your 6'1" and on your toes when you sit on it,check the sag on the rear(the bike) it should be 4" or real close.
And change the oil. It might have summer type oil,that makes it real hard to kick over if it's cold. I use mobile1 0w-30. It's kinda a pain to refill with out making a mess.The "tank" fills up before your done.

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted January 24, 2008 - 08:44 AM

If you say your 6'1" and on your toes when you sit on it,check the sag on the rear(the bike) it should be 4" or real close.
And change the oil. It might have summer type oil,that makes it real hard to kick over if it's cold. I use mobile1 0w-30. It's kinda a pain to refill with out making a mess.The "tank" fills up before your done.

Yup, I'm around 5'11", the sag is set correctly and I don't have a problem going through the motions. It just sucks when it's cold:rant:

• Suikerland

Posted January 24, 2008 - 08:59 AM

to start it, turn the choke on, turn the motor over slowly until it it gets really hard (find top dead center). then pull the decompression lever (little one on above clutch lever) move kick start to just past TDC then let 'er rip. don't give it any throttle at all. no throttle

OR...(this is an alternative, without using decompression lever):

to start it, turn the choke on, turn the motor over slowly until it it gets really hard (find top dead center). then...
push the kick start slowly down to just past TDC (an inch or 2), then let the kick start come back up to top. Then let 'er rip, i.e. kick with a long steady kick all the way through.
don't give it any throttle at all. no throttle.
and again... keep yer hand off the throttle!

(BTW if the engine is cold you might need to set choke on half or full. If the bike won't start and you start smelling gas, you have flooded it - I'll leave that to someone else to explain, how to un-flood.).

Lastly - commonly overlooked cause of hard-to-start pig is that the idle screw is set too low.

• rcnutt

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:15 AM

also ...give the idle screw a turn up untill it warms:prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Agent2

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:17 AM

Sixotoo, you gotta get one of the best aftermarket products for the pig - an Edelbrock Pumper carb....

• tjmiller

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:58 AM

I'd recommend you get a Service Manual too. As far as starting the BRP, I'm 5' 9" and 160lbs and start an R that has the higher compression HRC kit. Key thing is to do what everyone else says then kick all the way through the kick rotation with a nice, steady motion. Don't try to kick it like a 2-stroke, it doesn't work....

• mightymart

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:55 PM

One thing I have found (if your side stand is up to it) To stand up on the bike with side stand down & kick it over that way, I seem to start it alot easier when cold this way. I know you cant really do this out in the field (But starts easy when warm/hot) could be worth a try.

• lilbro

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:57 PM

I hold the front brake to keep from turning the throttle.

• oldturtle

Posted January 24, 2008 - 06:14 PM

If bike has been sitting more than a few weeks the gas in float bowl will have started to deteriorate. So turn on gas petcock to reserve position. Lean bike over to the right side until you get a steady stream of gas running out of overflow for a few seconds. This will replace stale gas in float bowl with better gas in tank.
Now start per above.

• scalejockey

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:45 PM

good one... oldturtle

• velocipus

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:56 PM

on my 600r i just slowly kick until I hear the "click." I bring the kick starter back up to top and give her a kick. Starts second kick when cold with choke fully on. I do have to remind myself to keep my hand off the throttle.

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:39 PM

OR...(this is an alternative, without using decompression lever):

to start it, turn the choke on, turn the motor over slowly until it it gets really hard (find top dead center). then...
push the kick start slowly down to just past TDC (an inch or 2), then let the kick start come back up to top. Then let 'er rip, i.e. kick with a long steady kick all the way through.
don't give it any throttle at all. no throttle.
and again... keep yer hand off the throttle!

(BTW if the engine is cold you might need to set choke on half or full. If the bike won't start and you start smelling gas, you have flooded it - I'll leave that to someone else to explain, how to un-flood.).

Lastly - commonly overlooked cause of hard-to-start pig is that the idle screw is set too low.

same thing basically, i can't kick mine over at all with out the decomp lever

• scalejockey

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:34 AM

And watch the sub-frame they like to move to the left,then the tire hits the right side under the fender and sometimes the silencer.
If it does this just loosen all the bolts pull it over then tighten.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.