ims tank

24 replies to this topic
  • Himsa123

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:15 PM

Hello all, i have ordered yz shrouds and graphics and basically from what ive seen i need to order an ims tank for them to fit. im not sure what size and model to get that will fit my 07 wr 450. thanks for the help guys.:cool:

• maxtherat

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:49 PM

3.1 gal. Purchase petcock from a 06 or earlier WR

• tweav

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:52 PM

you need strouds off of a 06 or newer yz 450

• Himsa123

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:55 PM

3.1 gallon tank for what model bike? and a stock petcock from an 06?

• KennyMc

Posted January 23, 2008 - 09:13 PM

3.1 gallon tank for what model bike? and a stock petcock from an 06?

The IMS model# for the 07 WR450 is the same as the 06 - 07 YZ450 which is 117327. The stock petcock off of the WR will need to be turned around to fit the new IMS tank. This puts the on/off handle on the inside, closer to the head. You need to get a petcock off of a 06 or older (a steel frame model) WR which will correct this.:cool:

• Himsa123

Posted January 23, 2008 - 09:39 PM

what does it mean by dry break or screw cap?, i was unaware that those tanks are around $275

• KennyMc

Posted January 23, 2008 - 11:20 PM

Screw cap is the "normal" type of cap. The drybreak is generally for racers and is a quick fill type system and I believe uses a special type of gas can. You can get the 3.1 tank for $225 from Motosport.com with free shipping and no tax.

• Himsa123

Posted January 23, 2008 - 11:25 PM

but not in black correct?

• KennyMc

Posted January 23, 2008 - 11:37 PM

Motosport does not seem to carry the black on their website. Maybe you could call them. If not, see the link below. A bit more money.

http://www.justgasta...products_id=252

• Himsa123

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:03 AM

cool i think ill order from there thanks, is it true that i need to install the AIS removal kit before installing a larger tank?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:11 AM

You don't need to remove the AIS stuff to put on the tank. Removing the AIS stuff supposebly gets rid of any decel pop but's that's about it. Have you changed the jetting on your bike? There are posts in here that talk about Prairre City up north checking for the smog stuff.. The Leo's not letting them ride if the stuff is off of the bike.:cool:

• clark4131

Posted January 24, 2008 - 06:49 AM

Based on what is happening with OHV parks in California, I'd highly recommend disabling it rather than removing it...SC

• Himsa123

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:48 AM

i havent rejetted yet i was going to wait until i ordered my exhaust system to rejet. i have my yz shrouds and i just ordered the 3.1 tank last night so i guess i just need the petcock. is installing the tank difficult?..thanks guys

• KennyMc

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:03 AM

The tank is easy to install. You put the front tank mount bracket on the frame first, then mount the tank up to it. The other mounts are the same as stock.

These bikes come from the factory notoriously lean on jetting. See Indy_WR450's post in the link to get a good starting point for jetting.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240

• crashthings

Posted February 25, 2008 - 12:15 PM

Where did you get your 06 or earlier petcocks? Dealer or other? Cost? I just ordered my tank. Plus all white plastic from UFO (except light)! Now I need graphics.

• Himsa123

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:09 PM

i got my 3.1 gallon tank installed with the stock petcock..i saved the trouble and had my dealership do it but it seemed to fit perfectly

• KennyMc

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:27 PM

Where did you get your 06 or earlier petcocks? Dealer or other? Cost? I just ordered my tank. Plus all white plastic from UFO (except light)! Now I need graphics.

I was lazy and just put the 07 one on since I didn't realize the issue until I was in the middle of the install. I told myself that I would get the other one later but since it wasn't leaking I have just left it alone. A few years ago I had a problem with the IMS tank leaking at the petcock on my CRF450. Returned the tank, sold the bike and got the WR (not because of the tank issue but because of the green sticker issue)

The gas goes on when I unload the bike and off when I load it. Not too much of a big deal.

• Dube2

Posted February 26, 2008 - 10:23 AM

I just installed my 08 BLUE IMS tank on sunday, new YZ shrouds are on the way. I tried to get the WR shrouds to fit and no dice. Yes the tank needs the petcock off the 06 or 05 models. No leaks, filled her up last night, 3gal+. The next thing is to get a new carb hose because the stock one is preformed and seems to be a little too close to the barrel for me. I didn't remove the AIS because of the local cal BLM crap that's been going on, however I installed the kit...... Just pluged up the hoses. I love the blue tanks, Hey I'm all blue. My 05 is the same, blue IMS tank........

• xrmarty

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Based on what is happening with OHV parks in California, I'd highly recommend disabling [AIS] it rather than removing it...SC

+1 on this one. I'm seeing more and more threads about law enforcement checking for intact AIS systems . Apparently, they have pictures to compare different models.

I threw mine away. I wish at least I kept it.

• nitro circus

Posted February 27, 2008 - 12:14 AM

I just installed my 08 BLUE IMS tank on sunday, new YZ shrouds are on the way. I tried to get the WR shrouds to fit and no dice. Yes the tank needs the petcock off the 06 or 05 models. No leaks, filled her up last night, 3gal+. The next thing is to get a new carb hose because the stock one is preformed and seems to be a little too close to the barrel for me. I didn't remove the AIS because of the local cal BLM crap that's been going on, however I installed the kit...... Just pluged up the hoses. I love the blue tanks, Hey I'm all blue. My 05 is the same, blue IMS tank........

put up a pic of the bike with the blue tank on it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.