just bought wr450

12 replies to this topic
  • bignasty680

Posted January 23, 2008 - 07:58 PM

I just purchased a left over 07wr450 and im new to 4strokes rode 2strokes my whole life, i have been reading about certain "free mods" on here and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what i should do? i do know about the throttle stop but thats about it. I have read something about ASI have no clue what that is, was told to unsmogg it? like i said im clueless and just learing about thumpers so any advice anyone can give me i would appreciate it.

thanks

• Sleeperdrz

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:14 PM

Go to the Yamaha section of this site and they can fix you up.

Changing from a two stroke you will notice a couple things at first. Number one , it will feel "top heavy". WR's feel more top heavy than say, KTM 4 strokes due to engine and frame design. Also the WR motor is essentially a MX engine so it will "hit" a little harder and feel more like a moto machine than a KTM exc.
Secondly, unless it's changed from my old '05 WR the engine braking is brutal. My WR felt like a rocking horse... let off the gas it dives... gas it and it squats.
Other than that I had no complaints about the bike. It's as durable as a rock, has great suspension, and can be ridden hard and put away wet.
Keep the air filter clean and change the oil and it might possibly last forever!
Congratulations!:cool:

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:17 PM

What convinced you to buy the WR?

• bignasty680

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:25 PM

what convinced me was riding an 04 wr450, never thought i would switch over but was getting bottom end replaced in my 200 and friend told me ride his extra bike, does unbelievable in the woods in my opinion from cornering to acceleration for hills, basically it just fit my riding style and very happy with it

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:33 PM

Go to the Yamaha section of this site and they can fix you up.

Changing from a two stroke you will notice a couple things at first. Number one , it will feel "top heavy". WR's feel more top heavy than say, KTM 4 strokes due to engine and frame design.

With the '07, "top heavyness" isn't the issue it used to be.

Also the WR motor is essentially a MX engine so it will "hit" a little harder and feel more like a moto machine than a KTM exc.

Dispite trying to smoothen the power with cam timing and a small diameter header for '07, this still holds true.

Secondly, unless it's changed from my old '05 WR the engine braking is brutal. My WR felt like a rocking horse... let off the gas it dives... gas it and it squats.

The only gear that the engine braking seems excessive is in 1st...and coming off a TT-R 250 it doesn't seem that bad. The engine braking in 2nd-5th is actually pretty decent compared to an '06 I rode a while back

-Cut the stock throttle stop to 23.5 mm (complete length...including head) or replace with YZ stop

-Pull the "anti tamper" plug from the fuel screw hole and replace stock F/S with an aftermarket adjustable one.

-Re-jet. Many ways to go about it. Most use the JD kit, some use the GTY-R AIS removal jetting, a handful try to sort it themselves. The jetting database in the performance sticky on the WR 4XXf page is superb:thumbsup:

-Pull the snorkel off the top of the airbox and the base to open up the air flow (looks like a pair of binoculars)

-Pull the complete baffle assembly (bike should be around 96 db this way). If you're worried about sound, install the PMB performance insert and that'll be around 92-93db while still retaining decent flow. An aftermarket pipe could remedy the marginal weight "issue" of the stock pipe, but don't go too loud because thats just not responsible. The '07 YZ 450f exhaust with a PMB spark arrestor/quiet insert is a good combo of light weight/performance/sound.

-Pull the gray wire out of the 6 pin electrical connector behind the left side number plate

-(optional) Pull the AIS. Fab up a block off plate for the head (at the exhaust)out of 1/4 inch steel and use an assortment of vaccum plugs to cap off the ports on the intake side (small) and at the airbox (large). Or you could just pick up the TT kit or the GTY-R kit:excuseme:

That should get her running good. HOLD ON!

Like the sleepy guy said, keep fresh oil and air in it and expect it to last a long time:thumbsup:

• shrubitup

Posted January 23, 2008 - 09:37 PM

Why wouldn't someone just buy a YZ450F than the WR and have to fuss over all the EPA stuff?? Lots of WR4XXF people keep trying to make their bikes like YZ-Fs. Just get a YZ-F for the trails?:cool:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jfgjr

Posted January 23, 2008 - 10:56 PM

Why wouldn't someone just buy a YZ450F than the WR and have to fuss over all the EPA stuff?? Lots of WR4XXF people keep trying to make their bikes like YZ-Fs. Just get a YZ-F for the trails?:cool:

I can think of one very important reason why, Californias' BS smog rules! Unfortunately the YZ is a red sticker bike meaning you have to look at some lame schedule to tell you where and when you can ride. There are quite a few other reasons E-start, bigger tank, lights, 18" rear etc. But the main reason I ride an offroad model rather than a MX bike is being able to ride where I want year round. Hopefully those of you in other regions don't have to deal with this.

• Punisher660

Posted January 23, 2008 - 11:05 PM

not to mention the gearing (Wide Ratio), radiator catch bottle, larger radiators, odometer, and a bunch of other little goodies.

There is no one bike that does it all.....get a WR for the woods and desert and a YZ for the track and dunes :cool:

• Ttoks

Posted January 23, 2008 - 11:18 PM

no wide ratio 6 speed for the yz, and no electric start, possible reasons perhaps..

• KennyMc

Posted January 23, 2008 - 11:44 PM

Sold my 04 CRF450R and got the 07 WR450 for the green sticker. Damn Kalifornia:foul:

• HappyEnding00

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:26 AM

How it works?

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 24, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Why wouldn't someone just buy a YZ450F than the WR and have to fuss over all the EPA stuff?? Lots of WR4XXF people keep trying to make their bikes like YZ-Fs. Just get a YZ-F for the trails?:applause:

The low first gear is cool for the technical stuff and the wide 4th and 5th makes the big trails/roads fun :prof:

The e-start makes restarting in tricky situations easy...I don't risk falling over on off cambers trying to kick the bike with my short stubby legs. :crazy:

Benefit of being able to ride year 'round with that precious green sticker
:cool:

I'll admit the close ratio trans of the YZ would be cool for hillclimbing, but its not that big a deal.:busted: The downsides of the WR for track riding don't matter to me because when I ride track, I'm just playing around...nothing too serious.

• dirtysouth

Posted January 27, 2008 - 01:11 PM

Sold my 04 CRF450R and got the 07 WR450 for the green sticker. Damn Kalifornia:foul:

Yeah I feel your grief...too many people and not enough bikes:foul:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.