Valve Shim Kit for 650L...????

5 replies to this topic
  • dldavis_66

Posted January 23, 2008 - 05:54 PM

I was just looking for an alternative to replacing my stock cam.

Basically, all I am aiming to do is increase the lift of the valves and the only thing I could think of is shimming the valves (I'm not all that interested in increasing the duration all that much, especially as much as the HotCam does). After further research I discovered that maybe only valve trains that don't incorporate a rocker arms can utilize valve shims. :cool:

I have thought about megacycle doctoring up my cam and rockers/arms. I've been to their website but could not find any info or specs for the 650L. Probably need to contact them by phone.

I know there's at least one guy on here that uses a megacycle cam, can't think of his name at the moment. What I don't know is if he sent his cam to megacycle and have them doctor it up or....???

Any help would be appreciated.:applause:

• cleonard

Posted January 23, 2008 - 06:28 PM

Megacycle has several different versions of cam where the Hotcam only has one. Take a look at the megacycle catalog on the website. It lists lift and duration.

The lift is 100% controlled by the cam. No place for shims in the 650L head.

For real high lift the valve guides get in the way. They have to be shortened. Between extra lift and shortened guides the valve train life is reduced.

• dldavis_66

Posted January 23, 2008 - 06:42 PM

Megacycle has several different versions of cam where the Hotcam only has one. Take a look at the megacycle catalog on the website. It lists lift and duration.

I went to their website, looked through the catalog and could not find anything listed for an XR 650L.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted January 23, 2008 - 07:09 PM

Look above on that page. The XR500, XL600, XR600, and the XR650L all use the same grinds.

• martinfan30

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:35 AM

No shims can be added. This would change valve lash and poss. lead to a burned valve.

I am very happy with my hotcam and dont beleive the duration/lift are even close to excessive.

• Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:55 PM

yeah get a cam and depending on what stage then you can either leave valves stock or mod/new springs and all if its aggressive

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.