Someone stop me, quick!!!!!!!

54 replies to this topic
  • sploogemonkey

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:08 PM

I thought about mentioning the idle as well but I'm always afraid of insulting someones intelligence.:busted:

Man, insulting my intelligence is old news, don't even worry about it! I ain't ashamed to admit that I'll take all the help I can get! :applause:

Today was another busy day that I couldn't find time to mess with the bike. I'll try the idle adjustment thing tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips. :cool:

• Doofus007

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:19 PM

+1 on the idle being too low. The same thing happened to me recently, had my suspension revalved and during the takedown I guess I loosened the idle screw. Prior to removing the suspension my bike (96' XR600 68 pilot,158 main) would start 1st or 2nd kick. When I out it all back and tried to start it wouldn't go. I knew I hadn't done any motor mods so I was scratching my head(after several vulgar outbursts) and recalled the idle screw. Show nuff', it kicked right over when I idled up. Try it.

• weskc35k

Posted January 26, 2008 - 05:03 AM

Do it pop on decel,68 pilot would be a bit small i'd think unless your at elevation.
Oh and the idle thing as well.

• scalejockey

Posted January 26, 2008 - 07:41 AM

I had one do this years ago.Try a leaner float level, the float might be sinking a little.

• onebigmike

Posted January 26, 2008 - 04:03 PM

I'll give ya a hundred for it if you are that pissed at it.(before you shoot it)

I'll give ya a hundred and fiftey. Definatly BEFORE :cool: you shoot it....

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:29 AM

It's fixed! Woo-hoo! :prof: :p

And to all of you that offered advice.... :cool: :eek: :lol:

I honestly don't remember what fuel screw setting I ended up at (I'll check it later), but the idle setting apparently was the trick. :worthy:

I took kawabuggy's (and others) advice and turned the idle up about 1/2 turn, and it started on the second kick.:applause:

The exact routine was:
  • Kick 3x with decomp lever engaged (to prime cyl.).
  • Full choke
  • Release decomp lever and slowly kick until I feel compression build.
  • Engage decomp lever and kick about 10 degrees past TDC.
  • Release decomp lever and bring kick lever to top.
  • Kick like ya got a pair!

Once the bike has warmed up, I just drop the idle level a little.

I did this Saturday morning before I went to the gun show and it worked. I was gone all day and repeated Sat. night and it worked again!

Sunday I went riding with my son and the same routine worked again.

That's three consecutive attempts from a dead cold engine and all three times my bike lit off within 2-3 kicks.

I admit that I don't understand why it works, though.

Doesn't a higher idle adjustment just crack the slide open a bit to let more air in? My bike isn't running rich on the slow circuit, though. I went from a 65pj to the 68pj because of some popping down low and an erratic return to idle, which I think means too lean on the slow circuit.

I don't friggen care. It works fine now and I aint gonna mess with it!

Thanks guys for all the help and letting me vent. :busted: :crazy:

Posted Image

• onebigmike

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:43 AM

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Where did you go riding?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rman of 237

Posted January 28, 2008 - 07:59 AM

:applause: :busted: 90% of the time it's something simple. Glad you got it starting right.:cool:

• jetfuel

Posted January 28, 2008 - 08:02 AM

Glad the world is right for you once more.. nice looking piggy..:cool:

• martinfan30

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:57 AM

What a releif!!

• Denn10

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:15 PM

What a releif!!

i know i was getting ready to throw something at the Sploog!!! LOL im sure this will be one to remember for a while. I dont remember alot about idle making it so hard to start. Good job Sploog

• martinfan30

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:41 PM

If the idle is too low, the throttle plate isnt letting any air in. I've done it to mine!:cool:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Maybe it's your OLD starting procedure on your NEW motor that's giving you trouble.

Now that you have opened her up, you need to give her more gas.

- 5 kicks with no gas and decompression on
- Gas on, three squirts
- Raise the idle
- TDC, and kick.
- NO choke

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 28, 2008 - 05:03 PM

i know i was getting ready to throw something at the Sploog!!! LOL im sure this will be one to remember for a while. I dont remember alot about idle making it so hard to start. Good job Sploog

I was gettin' nervous, afraid I might not get it figgered out before April, afterall, I gotta go find that Husky Memorial in the desert this spring.

You gonna make it for the weekend camp-out, Denn'? Shootin' for April or May.

• martinfan30

Posted January 28, 2008 - 05:06 PM

SPLOOGE, take a look at the sticky I have posted...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.