Someone stop me, quick!!!!!!!

54 replies to this topic
  • Slim Shadetree

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:59 PM

when i get really mad like that i drop down on the floor and start doing push-ups. helps to blow off my steam and is a positive way of venting....

compared to shooting guns and drinking beer that is. those things are fine, don't get me wrong, just not at the same time or when angry. so.... what's wrong with the bike anyways ??!

• martinfan30

Posted January 24, 2008 - 01:00 PM

How bout a 12" crecent in the door? or better yet just kick the living hell out of it and it will break!! TRUST ME i know. How bout you drive up to Victorville and roll with me to Vegas this weekend? Leaving for stateline tomorrow afternoon?

I'll be there the last weekend in feb.

• Rman of 237

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:27 PM

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that throws a fit like a child :applause: when a machine can't simply do what it's designed to do!! I'm pretty easy on the bikes but don't get me started on lawn equipment. I take a shot of Thorazine before I even think about starting my chainsaw. I've been known to throw a couple weedeaters across the yard as well.:cool:

• micknmeld

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:24 PM

My father inlaw threw a weedeater by it's start cord about 50 yards one day when it wouldn't start, then he roared off to town to buy new one.Little did he know that the impact from the throw dislodged the wasp's nest in the air filter. Upon his return with the new one, he wasn't at all impressed to see me with the old now slightly bent one, running like a beauty.I offered him $20 for it and he told me to stick it up my (!).There is no pleasing some people.:cool:

• onebigmike

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:29 PM

Dosn't look like we will ever find out what is wrong with the bike....

• martinfan30

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:37 PM

My father inlaw threw a weedeater by it's start cord about 50 yards one day when it wouldn't start, then he roared off to town to buy new one.Little did he know that the impact from the throw dislodged the wasp's nest in the air filter. Upon his return with the new one, he wasn't at all impressed to see me with the old now slightly bent one, running like a beauty.I offered him $20 for it and he told me to stick it up my (!).There is no pleasing some people.:cool:

LMAO! Ya ive thrown mine too... Cant keep the string to keep feeding.:applause:

• Nailpounder

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:42 PM

What's wrong with the gawd damn bike so we can help fix it?

• lilbro

Posted January 24, 2008 - 06:04 PM

I'll give ya a hundred for it if you are that pissed at it.(before you shoot it)

• micknmeld

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:04 PM

LMAO! Ya ive thrown mine too... Cant keep the string to keep feeding.:cool:

Get a 4 holed alloy head for it and you can run 3.5mm cord in it.
It has turned my weed eater into a "weapon of grass destruction":smirk:
I actually enjoy using it now.

• velocipus

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:45 PM

Get a 4 holed alloy head for it and you can run 3.5mm cord in it.
It has turned my weed eater into a "weapon of grass destruction":smirk:
I actually enjoy using it now.

That's better than the "weapons of mass construction" comment I got from a co-worker as we passed a huge development in the works.

Funny thing... my pig's been getting a lot of use since me and the girlfriend split up... heck of a lot cheaper to keep the pig happy too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sploogemonkey

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:59 PM

Okay, here's the deal.

The bike has been a stone reliable starter since the day I bought it. I just followed the usual routine, and it would light off within three kicks when cold, and one or two kicks when hot. However, it was bone stock, too.

Last month I finally decided to mod it.

• Took restrictor out of airbox
  • Hogged out intake manifold to match contour of the head intake port.
  • Installed full stainless Yosh' system.
  • 165 main jet.
  • 68 pilot jet
  • Fuel screw 2-1/2 turns out.
  • Float height at 14.5mm
  • Stock needle, clip in middle position.
  • New spark plug.
  • Adjusted valves and decompressor to spec.

Ever since I did these mods I absolutely cannot get the damn bike to start in less than about 15 or 20 kicks.

I posted about this a couple of weeks before Christmas, but I've been too busy to get around to riding until this week.

Once it starts, it runs flawlessly. Good, strong, crisp accelleration, absolutely no hesitation or flat spots. Idles well, accepts throttle well and drops right back to idle with no hang-ups or backfiring.

It just refuses to start unless it beats me to death in the process.

I never had this problem before the mods, so I think the problem is related to an air/fuel ratio inconsistency. I doubt that the CDI or stator just quit working because it has a strong blue spark.

Maybe I'll double check all my electrical connections, could be something loose. I did disconnect all the lights and just left the wires unplugged. Could that be the culprit?

Ooooh, I know. Maybe I'll double check the tire pressure! :cool: :applause:

• Denn10

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:08 PM

how much have you messed with the jetting? I would think that may be a contirbuting fact for sure since its all modded and runs great. Maybe some time tweaking. How does it start after warmed up and riding?

• Rman of 237

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:26 PM

how much have you messed with the jetting? I would think that may be a contirbuting fact for sure since its all modded and runs great. Maybe some time tweaking. How does it start after warmed up and riding?

+1 Sounds like you need to monkey with the jetting. Take a couple different sized pilots and call us in the morning.
And you had us thinking she was just being a bitch!!:cool:

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:13 AM

I've monkeyed around with several pilot jet / fuel screw variations.

I've run a 60, 65, and 68 pilot and tried fuel screw settings ranging from 1 to 3 turns out. I can't even begin to think how many variations I've tried.

I'm certain that the prob' is in the pilot circuit though. The bike runs like a horny ape on crack everywhere else in the powerband. Getting the beast lit is the only problem.

And yes, I have meticulously cleaned the carb and insured that the o-ring beneath the fuel screw spring is seated properly. The bike idles fine once it is started.

I'll mess around with it some more later today. :cool: :applause: :busted: :crazy:

• Rman of 237

Posted January 25, 2008 - 07:05 AM

This happened to my brothers XR250 last year. He replaced the bars and every time he turned right the bike would die. After performing several shamanistic rituals to purge it of evil spirits we narrowed it down to the decomp cable being routed wrong.:busted: We joked about it being the NASCAR bike because it only made lefts.:applause: Just an idea.

Are you absolutely sure your choke circuit is clean and clear? Is your carb to engine boot sealed good?:cool:

• Kawabuggy

Posted January 25, 2008 - 07:23 AM

Come on guys... How many times have we seen symptoms like this before??

I know that in '07 there were at least 5 multiple page posts and it turned out to be the dreaded...... (drum roll please).......

Idle adjusted too low! That is my vote. I know he says that once it is running and warmed up it idles okay, but on cold starts-IT NEEDS TO BE IDLED UP SOMETIMES A LITTLE-SOMETIMES A LOT!

Start by adjusting the idle up a little and see if this improves the starting situation. As the bike warms up, you may have to idle it back down a little to keep the revs where they are supposed to be-but this is an easy thing to try before you create problems where they don't exist (some of us call this trouble-shooting I just call it "looking for trouble and creating it as I go").

After putting all the mods on my bike, I suffered through the same thing. I finally figured it out and raise the idle before trying to start it now. My bike will idle down around 1200RPM (have tachometer) once warm, but if I try and start it cold with the idle set there-it will fire a few times but won't start until I raise the idle.

• hill5150

Posted January 25, 2008 - 10:50 AM

Try the 68s and turn up the idle, or get an Eddie..........:cool:

• Old Graybeard

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:40 AM

Thanks fellas. I needed this thread. RLMAO OGB

(Not a wrench thrower but tempted to do a tire iron or two)

• Rman of 237

Posted January 25, 2008 - 12:11 PM

I thought about mentioning the idle as well but I'm always afraid of insulting someones intelligence.:cool:

• Thorndike

Posted January 25, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Phone book and plate glass window...This has got to be the best post Iv'e read in a long time. Two years into getting rid of my now almost Ex. I love my bikes and they love me back.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.