Kick starter tearing up soles?

16 replies to this topic
  • Quack

Posted January 23, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Does anyone else have a problem with the kick started tearing up the soles of their boots? I have it on my yz450f. It is the strangest thing to me. It kinda digs in and makes a hole. I slipped off once and it made a hole in the back of my leg too.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:09 PM

not sure what kind of boots u use but my Alpinestar soles last a longtime with both my 03 and 06 450 both with wider Lightspeed pegs:excuseme:

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Haven't had that problem with my boots. Tennis shoes, yes. Boots, no.

• Quack

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:32 AM

not sure what kind of boots u use but my Alpinestar soles last a longtime with both my 03 and 06 450 both with wider Lightspeed pegs:excuseme:

Kick starter, not pegs.

• Quack

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:34 AM

Haven't had that problem with my boots. Tennis shoes, yes. Boots, no.

I really notice it on my non motorcycle boots, but have seen a little damage to my alpinestars

• matts06yzf

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Never had this issue with A stars what kinda boot you wearing? I can start my bike in tennis shoes and they are all messed up.

• GCannon

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:00 PM

My Tech 8's did that hole in the arch on the right boot. If they are all the way through you shoul repair or replace them. I had Alpinestars resole my boots $79.00 for a complete resole with new toe and heel plates (not counting shipping) they gave me extra toe plates because i asked nicely.
They are sweet now with upgraded soles.

BTW the boot lady said if you break the shank (with the kickstarter) which is under the sole she cannot help you and you will need new boots ( I don't know about the other brands) she said that this was common if you let a big hole develop.

• honda0071

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:34 PM

wat kind of shitty boots do u have, and how hard are u kicking it? check ur compression and check if its rotated all the way out.. are there any gashes in metal or cuts that would cut ur boot?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Quack

Posted January 25, 2008 - 03:09 AM

wat kind of shitty boots do u have, and how hard are u kicking it? check ur compression and check if its rotated all the way out.. are there any gashes in metal or cuts that would cut ur boot?

I really notice it on my non motorcycle boots, but have seen a little damage to my alpinestars

I dont see any cuts or burrs on the kickers, and kicking hard enough to get her to start.

• YZERIK

Posted January 25, 2008 - 07:22 AM

ive had this problem, and when your foot slips off....holy $%&# that hurts! what i did when the soles got too bad i had them re-soled. now, check your kick-starter, when it unfolds onto the bracket on the countershaft, check for , wear, if it is heavily worn the kickstarterwill be facing slightly backwards, thus making your foot slip off very very easy.
hope this helps, cheers

• BergArabia

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:19 AM

I had some wearing on my old axo boots.
But then I just used to kick, hard as I could without my technique.
Now I find I have the groove in starting and get it started first or second kick so there is not that much kicking to cause a problem.

• iracekx

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:23 AM

I start my 450 in my tennis shoes and it does not even tear them up what are you doing to tear them up. Now with my fastway pegs they do a little more damage riding, but my feet do not slip off.

• Quack

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:50 AM

ive had this problem, and when your foot slips off....holy $%&# that hurts! what i did when the soles got too bad i had them re-soled. now, check your kick-starter, when it unfolds onto the bracket on the countershaft, check for , wear, if it is heavily worn the kickstarterwill be facing slightly backwards, thus making your foot slip off very very easy.
hope this helps, cheers

Tell me about it I have a hole in the back of my leg from slipping off and the kicker coming back. I will have to check it out, maybe I am due for a new one.

I start my 450 in my tennis shoes and it does not even tear them up what are you doing to tear them up. Now with my fastway pegs they do a little more damage riding, but my feet do not slip off.

What year is yours? I wonder if this might make a difference?

I am just kicking the kick starter down. I think most of the damage occours at the end of the stroke.

• iracekx

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:53 AM

Tell me about it I have a hole in the back of my leg from slipping off and the kicker coming back. I will have to check it out, maybe I am due for a new one.

What year is yours? I wonder if this might make a difference?

I am just kicking the kick starter down. I think most of the damage occours at the end of the stroke.

Mine is a 2006 KX450F.

• Quack

Posted January 25, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Mine is an 03 yz450f, so I wonder?

• kugs250f

Posted January 25, 2008 - 12:33 PM

hope this helps, cheers

I did that and punched a hole right through the side of my boot

• YZERIK

Posted January 27, 2008 - 01:50 PM

I did that and punched a hole right through the side of my boot

my 03 yz 450 is nice to me and deosnt really do it ever but my old 98 wr400 used to make me wanna push it off a cliff sometimes lol

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.