theres a tapping noise on the top end of my 600

13 replies to this topic
  • FNM

Posted January 22, 2008 - 06:51 PM

well it started when i desided to run my xr600 with out the exhaust for about 10 15 minutes in an open field. I know im stupid but it sounded really cooland alot faster. anyways I burnt acouple valve seals and had to replace them i got it all back together just fine and started up first kick. and now it has a knock well not even a knock its just a tap that fades as it warms up but is still there. on the right side of the head. it runs fine and it starts every time for the past year and a half. an help or ideas to solve this problem would be appricated.

• Old Dog

Posted January 22, 2008 - 07:00 PM

Sounds like the Valves are out of adjustment. Have you checked them since toasting the seals and putting everything back together?

• FNM

Posted January 22, 2008 - 07:11 PM

they are gaped to spec and the decompressor is not touching the lifter on the cam

• FNM

Posted January 22, 2008 - 07:12 PM

i lapped the valves too

• Nailpounder

Posted January 23, 2008 - 03:58 AM

I would recheck the gap,it's possible that you have them out of spec.

• martinfan30

Posted January 23, 2008 - 10:02 AM

You replace the timing chain components?

• cleonard

Posted January 23, 2008 - 10:12 AM

Perhaps you are just being a bit paranoid after fixing it? These RFVC heads do make noise even when adjusted correctly.

I would be concerned about the valve train. What do you mean by burnt valve seals. That would seem to tell me that it got way too hot. I had two valve seats get fried. Usually if something is going bad like the cam or the valve seats, it is progressive. It gets worst pretty quick. When my valve seats went bad it started requiring frequent valve adjustments. At first it was adjust every few rides, then every ride. On the last ride I had to adjust it out on the trail.

Take a look and see if you can find anything wrong. I say keep riding it and keep a real close eye on it to see if it changes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FNM

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:02 PM

no timeing chain didn't need replaced

• FNM

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:09 PM

the rubber valve seal on top of the valve guide got to hot and pretty much lost its ability to keep oil out of the cyclinder.

• martinfan30

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:17 PM

May be nothing. Keep an eye on valve clearances and see if it gets louder or not.

• FNM

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:51 PM

its an incredable bike though i only weigh 140 145 and ive gotten pretty good on it i can keep up with my bubby on his yz250 in some very tight and technical single track ohio trails that we made. (maybe even quicker) its just physially demading to keep at that pace all day. and yet im thinking of getting a two stroke cause with all the experiance the 600 gave me it has made me pretty quick on the trails and the track. i just don't know wether to keep the 600 or sell the old BRP. what do you guys think

• martinfan30

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:58 PM

its an incredable bike though i only weigh 140 145 and ive gotten pretty good on it i can keep up with my bubby on his yz250 in some very tight and technical single track ohio trails that we made. (maybe even quicker) its just physially demading to keep at that pace all day. and yet im thinking of getting a two stroke cause with all the experiance the 600 gave me it has made me pretty quick on the trails and the track. i just don't know wether to keep the 600 or sell the old BRP. what do you guys think

Plate it and commute on 'er...

• linustitus

Posted January 23, 2008 - 03:53 PM

Definitely quicker :cool: Just depends what your goals are and what you want to do with the bike. Just riding around my woods your 600 is alright, but if you want to do afew races and get alittle competitive then go for a different bike unless you plan on moving west where it's more usable than in the Ohio mud.

• FNM

Posted January 23, 2008 - 04:45 PM

good point

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.