Yet another exhaust question

9 replies to this topic
  • Sierra_WR450F

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:59 PM

I searched some but couldn't really find an exact answer. So, here goes.

Is there an exhaust out there that is quieter than the stock one?

Naturally, I'd like to rob as little power as possible. From my reading, the Q4 seems on par with the stock, possibly even louder. I've got the pea shooter in the exhaust can, but all other free mods have been done. I'm fortunate to live pretty rurally and can ride on my property, but I've still got neighbors and try to be mindful of that so nobody complains.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

• w00dsRider

Posted January 23, 2008 - 04:07 AM

I searched some but couldn't really find an exact answer. So, here goes.

Is there an exhaust out there that is quieter than the stock one?

Naturally, I'd like to rob as little power as possible. From my reading, the Q4 seems on par with the stock, possibly even louder. I've got the pea shooter in the exhaust can, but all other free mods have been done. I'm fortunate to live pretty rurally and can ride on my property, but I've still got neighbors and try to be mindful of that so nobody complains.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

The Q4 or the DRD would both be good choices. You could even save a little cash and go with the PowerCore and use the optional quiet insert. That's what I did and my buddies really can't tell the difference.

• clark4131

Posted January 23, 2008 - 07:36 AM

There is nothing out there that is quieter than an unmodified stock exhaust. If you take the pea shooter out, you can put in a PMB quiet insert which would be the next quietest setup. From there, the FMF Q series is your best bet for a full aftermarket can. After that, the jury's still out. The Dr. D with quiet insert is still loud...SC

• Sierra_WR450F

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:09 AM

Thanks, I'll look into those options.

• GCannon

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:34 AM

I am running the Q2 and one of my good riding buddies has an 06 450 with just the peashooter removed. his is still quieter. I can hear more engine and gear noise from his bike than mine since his exhaust is quieter. Not quieter by alot but still quieter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 23, 2008 - 10:37 AM

The Dr. D with quiet insert is still loud...SC

i didnt notice a change in sound except for a lack in performance

• clark4131

Posted January 23, 2008 - 12:02 PM

My findings as well. What I think it does is simply direct the sound pulse in more of a directly rearward position so that when the sound meter is placed properly at a 45-degree angle and the correct distance from the pipe, the decibels will register lower. Just a guess, but it makes sense to my little pea brain...SC

• KAS

Posted January 23, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Nothing more quiet than stock in the aftermarket.

Be VERY wary of any aftermarket pipe that comes with an "optional quiet core". Usually they are not designed to run with the quiet core any longer than it takes to pass sound tech.

• dl19

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:35 AM

To each his own, but PMB exhaust tip, re-jet it and ride. Unless your a hard core racer what you might gain in HP will be more then offset in noise. Quieter is better.

• Sierra_WR450F

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:45 AM

I'm thinking I'll try that PMB insert out. Price is cheap and it looks kinda cool. Thanks again for the input. I'm rather new to the whole dirt biking scene and am learning as I go.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.