2000 WR400...Would you recommend it?

21 replies to this topic
  • Tim Taylor

Posted January 22, 2008 - 03:50 PM

I have found a 2000 WR400 that I am interested in. Are there any problems with this particular year? How difficult is it to start? What is a reasonable price?

• ncampion

Posted January 23, 2008 - 06:02 PM

Great bike, very durable. Just watch for the cracked/broken carb slide plates.

• Tim Taylor

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:48 AM

Thank you for the response.

I am not overly mechanical. How would I tell? Just look into the carb and look for a crack?

• matt4x4

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:14 AM

Excellent Bike - highly recommend it, If you can take the carb off and swing it out some, you can see the plate if looking into the engine side.
You will enjoy it thoroughly.

• SFDemo

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:34 AM

I have a 99 with a dual sport kit, and I love it. No problems so far, and great off road.

• Legend_XL

Posted January 24, 2008 - 12:30 PM

I baught my 2000 wr 400 2 years ago and I havent been able to wipe the smile off my face since. I have just performed routine maintenance and have had no problems. Starting is easy if you know the process. I would highly recommend it. Go for it if the price is right.

• WReckless

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:53 PM

my '99 is the same bike the only problems i have had i created my self. when and if you get it see the sticky above for free mods to see what has been done
WReckless

• Tim Taylor

Posted January 25, 2008 - 04:47 AM

Thank you for the information. I have exchanged e-mails with the guy who owns the bike a couple of times. I am waiting to see where he is located so that I can hopefully check the bike out this weekend.

What is a reasonable price if the bike is in good shape. I know prices vary wildly depending on where you live, but it would be nice to get a baseline.

• matt4x4

Posted January 25, 2008 - 08:59 AM

Tim, I'm from Ontario, bought mine last September, a 2000 WR400F, asking price was 2500, I got it for 2300 with brand new helmet, boots, elbow guards and bike stand, didn't need anything other than the sunbleached front fender that I snapped off accidentally while shoving it into my minivan when I picked it up.
Repairs since then - countershaft seal started to leak mildly near the end of the season, so I replaced those 3 components, everything else is just general maintenance and personalizing it to my liking/budget.
I got the manual with mine, but if you need to get one for yours - download it here.
http://www.yamahaown...GS-28199-30.pdf

• Legend_XL

Posted January 25, 2008 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for the information. I have exchanged e-mails with the guy who owns the bike a couple of times. I am waiting to see where he is located so that I can hopefully check the bike out this weekend.

What is a reasonable price if the bike is in good shape. I know prices vary wildly depending on where you live, but it would be nice to get a baseline.

I picked mine up 2 years ago for $1500. That is uncommon to get that good of a deal. When I showed up to pick it up the guy couldnt get the thing started so I got him to knock 500 off the asking price. I would say up to 2200 would be about right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tim Taylor

Posted January 25, 2008 - 03:51 PM

I would be extremely happy with that kind of pricing. The guy was asking 3k as of March 07 when he first listed it. I think he is open to offers, but I would be really surprised to pay less than $2,500. I checked kelly blue book using a zip code from Michigan, and the price suggested was $2,330. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again everyone for the info.

Where in Ontario are you from Matt? I am just west of the GTA

• ncampion

Posted January 25, 2008 - 05:46 PM

Thank you for the response.

I am not overly mechanical. How would I tell? Just look into the carb and look for a crack?

Hey, Aren't you Tim, The Tool Man, Taylor? You should be very mechanical.

Just Kidding.

• Tim Taylor

Posted January 26, 2008 - 07:56 AM

I would like to kick Tim Allen in the pills for what he has done for my good name......

• Tim Taylor

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:52 AM

I decided not to buy the bike. It was a little too beaten up for my liking. Thanks for the info...

• matt4x4

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:55 AM

SMALL WORLD - I'm down near Brantford.
Mine looked rough too, but runs like a champ - 7 years of wear does add up, but I've done a lot of small cheap repairs and she looks great again - there's a 2001 wr426 in the trader for 3250 if you're still looking.

• Tim Taylor

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:26 PM

I saw that. I was using that as a price reference for the other bike. I am looking for something street plated. I ride with a bunch of people who ride regularly at the Gannaraska forest and St. Williams. PM me on the ODSC site if you want to go riding in a few months....

• matt4x4

Posted January 31, 2008 - 06:40 AM

If you're going to ride crown land like the Gan, all you need is a green plate (got mine yesterday) and basic 100/year insurance and all that means is getting the bike title changed to your name, paying tax and a plate fee - does not require renewal stickers.

If you get a bike street plated - because that's all the blue plates do is let you ride roads, best to buy one that IS already since MTO has put a new system in place that won't allow for something like a WR to get blue plates, so you now have to get a letter from the manufacturer and a safety (DOT tires, horn, brake light at min) before they will blue plate it - Yamaha will NOT give you that letter - I've asked them.
Then there's the insurance - highway robbery, you're better off trailering the bike to where you want to ride and having a green plate.
If you really want a blue plated bike, you're probably looking at a new WR250 or a Honda XR650 or similar....
We'll be riding the Gan and Northumberland as well as many other places this summer. I've got the same username at ODSC.

• Kawidad

Posted January 31, 2008 - 07:45 AM

I have a 99 with a dual sport kit, and I love it. No problems so far, and great off road.

Same here.:busted:

• CHIPPY1964

Posted January 31, 2008 - 10:51 AM

swapped my old Ducati monster for a 2000 wr400, its the best bike ive ever owned ( ive got a monster s4rs still), so much fun and plenty of power, so far nothings gone wrong with it and im crap at off road so dropped it a few times but it just keeps going, blinking good in the wet ( it needs to be im in england), very well made, great engine, mines worth about £1600, so you can get them cheap if you look around, good luck.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 04, 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hey Tim,

If you're still looking for a plater WR400, I'm gonna sell mine soon. I'm in KY, and just closed on some acerage in TX. Cash depleted. gonna sell and buy a new bike in the fall after I build up some more savings.

Baja Designs DS kit installed (wired, but signals and headlight currently removed; been running Hare Scrambles)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.