leaking out of breather hose

8 replies to this topic
  • honda0071

Posted January 21, 2008 - 04:14 PM

the other day i went to start my bike adn it started right up... then i let it sit to warm up and when i came back to check on it there was a small puddle of coolant underneath it.. i figured it out that it came from the long hose that goes to top end of motor... thats the breather hose correct? and is it supposed to leak coolant? and if its not that where would it be coming from... i have a 98 yz400f...

• William1

Posted January 21, 2008 - 04:52 PM

A YZ has no coolant recovery tank. The boil over is normal. When the bike is cool (the next morning), always top it off.
Or you could get a recovery tank system for a WR and not worry about it.

• Wiz636

Posted January 21, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Don't let the bike sit and warm up...it will overheat and start dumping coolant in a matter of a few moments.

It came from the tube that comes out of your radiator by the fill cap and then ran down your glide plate and to the ground below your engine breather tube.

• honda0071

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:57 PM

wat do u mean don't let it warm up you have to... what else am i supposed to do...? it has to warm up some how.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:04 PM

wat do u mean don't let it warm up you have to... what else am i supposed to do...? it has to warm up some how.

Your right that it needs to warm up, but the warm up time is very short on the YZF.

• honda0071

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:27 PM

o i usually let it sit for about 2-3 mins and then take off... is that bad? is it bad that it leaks coolant?

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:32 PM

What you are supposed to do is warm it up enough to get the choke off, then ride it easy for 5-10 minutes. By keeping it moving, you flow air over the radiators, and the cooling system actually works.

• 07thommi

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:33 PM

Dont let it sit and idle for more than a minute or two. As soon as I can give it throttle without it dieing I slowly ride it around. It still needs to warm up but the YZF's and WR's need some air flow through the radiators and over the exhaust header.

-mt-

• 642MX

Posted January 22, 2008 - 05:11 AM

o i usually let it sit for about 2-3 mins and then take off... is that bad? is it bad that it leaks coolant?

I normally start my bike after I get my riding gear on. Let it idle for 2 minutes, then I check the oil. I finish getting the rest of my gear on (helmet, goggles, ect) and then start it and let it idle for a minute or so, adjust the fuel screw and then I go ride.

Its not bad that they spit a little coolant, just make sure you refill it once it gets low. And remember that you only need enough coolant to cover the core. Some folks fill them up to the filler neck (which is incorrect) and the bike will blow out the extra coolant before its completely warmed up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.