A CDI anyone?

34 replies to this topic
  • dman3998

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:19 PM

not a bad plan, when its time to put in a new battery I will do that. I have debated the whole electrical box relocate but that is a ton of work. not sure how much benefit there is to it.

• Limey-Joe

Posted March 09, 2008 - 11:55 PM

Only failure I ever had on a XR in over 20 years was my 93 XR650L, the CDI was intermittant if you held pressure on the CDI plug in it ran fine, wiggle the connector or tap on the box it would cut out and missfire. The contacts in the box were intermittant I guess from vibration, I foam mounted the new one.

Sounds like I'm having exactly the same problem as you've all described. When it fails I can get a spark on the first beat, then nothing; if I get it running & warmed up it'll run like a dream all day. Tinkering with the CDI generally gets it going but why will it run when warm?? Red4*4neck-Was it definately the CDI? Is it still cured? Has anyone had any experience with performance CDIs? Any reccommendations or should I stick with OE??

• martinfan30

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:26 AM

Dman here is a better idea. I changed out my stock battery to a Sprint 5l-bs gel battery. It is smaller, and lighter. You will have to make longer battery cables as the + - are reversed. Very easy to do. Once you have made longer cables, you can run smaller or stock battery. You will have to make a new bracket/ bar to hold the battery in. Again very easy. I tell you this, because not only will you lose weight, but you will create space in the battery box where you can carry the extra cdi box.

That or get a CRF450X battery. The one I have cranks the engine over quicker than the stock battery did. Smaller and lighter.

• award900

Posted March 15, 2008 - 06:19 AM

Sounds like I'm having exactly the same problem as you've all described. When it fails I can get a spark on the first beat, then nothing; if I get it running & warmed up it'll run like a dream all day. Tinkering with the CDI generally gets it going but why will it run when warm?? Red4*4neck-Was it definately the CDI? Is it still cured? Has anyone had any experience with performance CDIs? Any reccommendations or should I stick with OE??

Same Problem Here! One spark when I hit the starter, no spark when I continue to hold starter, and a small spark as I let go of starter. Once running and warm it starts right up. I bought a used cdi on ebay but still have the same problem. I hope I didn't buy Rednecks old one!

• Kawabuggy

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:11 AM

Award900 if you have tried a different CDI and the same problem persists, you probably have a low voltage situation. When you first try and start it, there is enough juice to fire the coil once, but then as the starter really starts pulling the juice from the battery there is not enough left to light the ignition components. Likewise, when you release the starter button, suddenly there is more current available for the ignition components and it fires again. Just a shot in the dark. You said it runs well when warmed up right?

Next time it won't start when cranking, try jumping it with good cables to another known good battery and see if this makes a difference. If it does-it's time for a new battery. If it does not, put this test in the "been there, done that, still have the same problem" list.

• Red4x4neck

Posted April 04, 2008 - 10:10 AM

Same Problem Here! One spark when I hit the starter, no spark when I continue to hold starter, and a small spark as I let go of starter. Once running and warm it starts right up. I bought a used cdi on ebay but still have the same problem. I hope I didn't buy Rednecks old one!

You don't have to worry I have not sold my old CDI. I threw it away.
Yes the CDI fixed the problem.
I am now having issues with my nuetral safety switch shorting out while I am riding. very frustrating having the bike cutout at highway speeds. I need to get a new switch but fear having to tear into the case to get at the old one
Rob

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 04, 2008 - 02:37 PM

You don't have to worry I have not sold my old CDI. I threw it away.
Yes the CDI fixed the problem.
I am now having issues with my nuetral safety switch shorting out while I am riding. very frustrating having the bike cutout at highway speeds. I need to get a new switch but fear having to tear into the case to get at the old one
Rob

Short those clutch wires to ground before you get stranded in an intersection!

http://4strokes.com/...es/safeties.gif

I thought the neut. switch threaded in from the outside, near the sprocket?

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Red4x4neck

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Short those clutch wires to ground before you get stranded in an intersection!

http://4strokes.com/...es/safeties.gif

I thought the neut. switch threaded in from the outside, near the sprocket?

Dave

Appreciate the advice Dave!

I am apprehensive about doing so considering I will likely get to lazy/cheap to actually buy a switch.

I just assumed that it was in the case considering the part description is found in the "gear shift drum" section of Honda's parts micro-fiche...I'll have to actually look at the switch, as I have only tested the switch at its wiring harness clip up near the seat.
thanks
Rob

• whirligig79

Posted April 09, 2008 - 11:31 AM

So from what I am reading online there is no way to test the cdi box on my 03 xr650l. Is that correct?

Can someone tell me where to get the best price on a new one?

Does anyone know if they make high performance ones for my 03 xr650l and where to get them?

• tgstoken

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:30 PM

Does anyone know if they make high performance ones for my 03 xr650l and where to get them?

Nobody makes an aftermarket CDI for the 650L. Best price to be had is from http://www.servicehonda.com/ .

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:32 AM

So from what I am reading online there is no way to test the cdi box on my 03 xr650l. Is that correct?

If you feel like building a 12VDC-to-200VAC 200-300HZ inverter, you could use an XR600R CDI, which might have a better advance curve.

Dave

• whirligig79

Posted April 11, 2008 - 12:25 PM

Nobody makes an aftermarket CDI for the 650L. Best price to be had is from http://www.servicehonda.com/ .

Thanks I'll give them a call.

• Limey-Joe

Posted April 12, 2008 - 12:52 AM

What is it with the CDI on the '93/'94 L? Mine was getting progressively worse until it was cutting out fully warm at highway speeds. Reaching round to press the side of the unit doing 80 in heavy traffic made me realise a new one was probably a good idea... $120 from steel dreams in WA (£60 as opposed to £120 direct from Honda!) and we're back firing on one cylinder! :thumbsup:
Can I expect it to go again?? Has that happened to anyone?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 12, 2008 - 05:41 AM

The problem is probably the inverter stage- the 600R and 650R don't have that portion of the CDI, and they don't fail nearly as much.

Dave

• whirligig79

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:55 AM

I guess I'll find out tonight after work if it was the cdi or not. I got one in from Service Honda this afternoon. I can hardly wait to put it in and see what happens.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.