A CDI anyone?

34 replies to this topic
  • Red4x4neck

Posted January 21, 2008 - 02:13 PM

I realize this is a long shot but would be worth it.

Does anyone have a CDI for a 93-03 650L that I could borrow for testing purposes.
I have tested everthing in my electrical system and I believe that it is either my CDI or my Pulse Generator but don't want to shell out $100 or more to find out I am wrong.
I would need it long enough to install in the battery box and see if the bike makes spark consistently and would return as soon as this test is performed.

If you would be willing I would be greatly appreciative
Thanks
Rob

• martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 02:26 PM

04 and up should work too.

Sorry, I would loan you one if I had one..

• captb

Posted January 21, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Only failure I ever had on a XR in over 20 years was my 93 XR650L, the CDI was intermittant if you held pressure on the CDI plug in it ran fine, wiggle the connector or tap on the box it would cut out and missfire. The contacts in the box were intermittant I guess from vibration, I foam mounted the new one.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 21, 2008 - 02:59 PM

Personally, I think its pretty rare a weak spark is due to either the CDI or the pulser- especially the pulser.

The way the CDI is set up, when it fires, it fires all the way.

Anyone seen a CDI or pulser give a weak spark?

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Personally, I think its pretty rare a weak spark is due to either the CDI or the pulser- especially the pulser.

The way the CDI is set up, when it fires, it fires all the way.

Anyone seen a CDI or pulser give a weak spark?

Dave

No, they are either good or not.

• ToXicD

Posted January 21, 2008 - 06:26 PM

only suggestion i have is to just purchase one on ebay, then re-sell it. probably gonna be your best bet.

• Old Dog

Posted January 21, 2008 - 06:38 PM

No, they are either good or not.

True, but, I've heard of them failing once heated up/used for a period of time, then when they've cooled down/not been used for a while, they work normally again. I've seen the same thing happen with them in cars/trucks.

• Red4x4neck

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:52 PM

Thank you for all the ideas!

For clarification: It only sparks for a second right after you hit the starter and then only once in probably 5+ attempts at starting the rest of the time there is no spark whatsoever.

I have tried isolating the 'safety circuits' by grounding both wires leading to the clutch switch. I have tested all the values listed in table 5 of the 650L supplement of the Clymers manual and they all check out good.

It sounds like everyone is hinting at the problem being the pulse generator am I picking this up correctly?

Thanks again
Rob

• martinfan30

Posted January 22, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for all the ideas!

For clarification: It only sparks for a second right after you hit the starter and then only once in probably 5+ attempts at starting the rest of the time there is no spark whatsoever.

I have tried isolating the 'safety circuits' by grounding both wires leading to the clutch switch. I have tested all the values listed in table 5 of the 650L supplement of the Clymers manual and they all check out good.

It sounds like everyone is hinting at the problem being the pulse generator am I picking this up correctly?

Thanks again
Rob

Did you check the spark plug resistor? Mine did this when i took it out and didnt put anything in there to take its place!:cool:

• martinfan30

Posted January 22, 2008 - 12:01 PM

True, but, I've heard of them failing once heated up/used for a period of time, then when they've cooled down/not been used for a while, they work normally again. I've seen the same thing happen with them in cars/trucks.

Yes, I guess I should have included the temperature issue also! I totally agree.

Sometimes I get in a hurry and post to quickly!:cool:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted January 22, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Thanks again
Rob

From some posts over the last few years I'd say that it is likely at CDI unit. I don't think that I have ever seen a post about the pulse coil being bad, but I have seen several where the CDI box was bad. It is a known failure area for this bike.

• Red4x4neck

Posted January 22, 2008 - 08:12 PM

Did you check the spark plug resistor? Mine did this when i took it out and didnt put anything in there to take its place!:applause:

In my testing I have totally eliminated the spark plug by using an old nail (held close to the head) in its place I realize this probably isn't "Correct" but I am just wanting to know if it will make spark. It will spark once in a while, as previously stated, but untill I can get a reliable spark to issue forth I have my doubts that the plug has anything to do with it.
I do however appreciate all the input, I have definitely done things like leave an essential part out and then cuss the daylights out of the machine I was working :cool: :busted:

cheers
Rob

• Red4x4neck

Posted January 22, 2008 - 08:16 PM

From some posts over the last few years I'd say that it is likely at CDI unit. I don't think that I have ever seen a post about the pulse coil being bad, but I have seen several where the CDI box was bad. It is a known failure area for this bike.

Thanks,
I was afraid of this. The CDI is about $100 and the Pulse gen is about $50 but the pulse gen is by far the more difficult/messy to change. In the end I really am just trying not to spend money on parts to 'easter egg' untill I find the problem. :cool:
That is why I like this forum so much. You all have been very helpful:ride:

Thanks again
Rob

• martinfan30

Posted January 23, 2008 - 11:07 AM

In my testing I have totally eliminated the spark plug by using an old nail (held close to the head) in its place I realize this probably isn't "Correct" but I am just wanting to know if it will make spark. It will spark once in a while, as previously stated, but untill I can get a reliable spark to issue forth I have my doubts that the plug has anything to do with it.
I do however appreciate all the input, I have definitely done things like leave an essential part out and then cuss the daylights out of the machine I was working :cool: :applause:

cheers
Rob

No, there is a "resistor" held in the spark plug boot by a screw. If you look into the boot, unscrew, and check it for any corrosion and/or resistance reading.

• Red4x4neck

Posted January 31, 2008 - 07:26 PM

Thank you guys for all the help.
It turned out to be the CDI. I got one off of Ebay for $85 and just like a switch the old battle axe is running again:ride:
Thanks again for all the advice.
Rob

• resurrection

Posted January 31, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Martinfan30
I've been surfing alot of forums as of late .I'm new to the whole comp. thing sent my first Email only 3months ago.My spelling and gramer are only worse than my typing ,but I'm having fun learning .
I have been sick with this forum thing ever since and I must say your input puts many a moderator to shame .Alot of them seem disconected and have little input but to police .You seem very willing to get involved.and do it in a humble way
Good on ya

• dman3998

Posted February 03, 2008 - 09:15 PM

now that you know it was the cdi which is by far the most likely thing to die I would spend another few bucks and buy a spare. it one of the few parts that is easy to carry and easy to change and is one of the few parts on the generally bullet proof motor/bike that can go bad when you least expect it. they can be had new for just about 110 bucks.

dman

• Motosprtman

Posted February 04, 2008 - 11:32 AM

CDI is mounted in the back of the battery box correct?

• dman3998

Posted February 04, 2008 - 11:37 AM

yup that is where its at. I keep the spare CDI in the air box.

I opened up the top of the air box so I felt it was breathing plenty good even with the cdi floating around in the bottom section. I just wrapped it in plastic and duct tape and its always there ready for use.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 04, 2008 - 08:53 PM

yup that is where its at. I keep the spare CDI in the air box.

I opened up the top of the air box so I felt it was breathing plenty good even with the cdi floating around in the bottom section. I just wrapped it in plastic and duct tape and its always there ready for use.

Dman here is a better idea. I changed out my stock battery to a Sprint 5l-bs gel battery. It is smaller, and lighter. You will have to make longer battery cables as the + - are reversed. Very easy to do. Once you have made longer cables, you can run smaller or stock battery. You will have to make a new bracket/ bar to hold the battery in. Again very easy. I tell you this, because not only will you lose weight, but you will create space in the battery box where you can carry the extra cdi box.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.