on 01-07 RM250's can you reuse the oring head gaskets?

11 replies to this topic
  • RideRaceLive123

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

Can you? What about just for like 10 minutes to try to try something real quick?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WOLFDOG

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:58 AM

Its never a good idea to reuse old o rings, however if your desperet to test something for a short period.
just check that the o ring is up for another quick session, roll the o ring between your fingers and you will feel if the o ring is still round in section or slightly egg shaped.
If it feels even slightly out of round, forget reusing it, if you think it passed that quick test, then check to see if it still sits naturaly in the o ring groove.
If it has expanded, forget it.

• Modmotoman

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:07 AM

lol I have reused them on YZs and RMs many of times and i never had a leak.
I do keep a spare set around and I check out the O-rings before sliding the head back on.
It seems the the outer O-ring tends to become larger after time and becomes hard to keep into the groove while sliding the head over the studs, at this point i replace that ring to save me hassle.

• Aurex

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:04 AM

How would you like used parts used in surgery, to just test something really quick? Buy the 2 dollar o-rings and save yourself the potential headaches. It would be like re-using a base gasket or any gasket for that matter.

• Uncle Alpo

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Can you reuse them? Sure. Is it a good idea? I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to. They deform from use and are cheap enough that I'd put a fresh one in each time the head is off.

• Bruce372

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

i reuse them all the time, no problems.

the only time ive found they need replacing is when you are getting a lot of detonation and the inner green one gets hammered.

• Modmotoman

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Yeah Bruce. If they worked on them enough they would know that replacing a good O-rings can add cost up over time. I just keep a set handy and reuse when I can. Never leaked after a positive inspection. And I ride the crap out of a bike.

• Zac

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

the gasket is a metallic gasket o a paper gasket?

Zac

• Modmotoman

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:09 AM

The head uses rubber o-rings.
Totally reusable, of course it’s not a good ideal to reuse the cylinder base gasket although it’s not impossible if it has not been used but for a moto or two.

• zig06

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

For 10 minutes?, yes.

But after that, plan on installing a new set. They really are not that expensive.

• Modmotoman

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

More like 10 motos. Do you replace the rubber O-rings every time you remove your clutch cover too?
Listen the rubber O-ring is a simple unit that is not a moving part and while it does see heat, it sees only the running temperature (around 200F) unless detonation is present.
A used O-ring is just as good as a new one as long as the rings are not dry, torn, pitted, matted or swollen.
If I remember these seals are around 20 bucks a pair for OEM. Even thought this does not seem to be much it adds if you ride/race every weekend and do a rip down inspections every 7 weeks (including top ends)

• zig06

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

More like 10 motos. Do you replace the rubber O-rings every time you remove your clutch cover too?
Listen the rubber O-ring is a simple unit that is not a moving part and while it does see heat, it sees only the running temperature (around 200F) unless detonation is present.
A used O-ring is just as good as a new one as long as the rings are not dry, torn, pitted, matted or swollen.
If I remember these seals are around 20 bucks a pair for OEM. Even thought this does not seem to be much it adds if you ride/race every weekend and do a rip down inspections every 7 weeks (including top ends)

You've got a point, but also consider that the head does get a lot hotter than the clutch cover. So even though they are made for the extra heat, they do slowly loose their "cush".

And even at $20, I have to think that if your willing to tear the top end apart that often to ensure max power, an extra 20 bucks isn't a deal breaker.

~ my 2 cents.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.