2007 built in radiator braces...

16 replies to this topic
  • Kasjok

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:57 PM

Are these original braces worth anything? Can they actually protect my radiators or should I still go with aftermarket ones which are much more beefier?

• William1

Posted January 21, 2008 - 03:40 AM

OEM braces are a little stronger than dried spaghetti. Use them only if you plan to fall into marinara sauce. Otherwise, get yourself some UnaBikers.

• stroker101

Posted January 21, 2008 - 05:45 AM

they offer little protection against hard side impacts, but are still better than nothing. Works Connection manufactors a nice set up tha actually utilizes the "stock" 07-08 factory braces and wraps the entire radiator(s)

• scalejockey

Posted January 21, 2008 - 06:03 AM

Went and looked (drooled)at a new wr450 this weekend,was surprised to see they stepped up with an "effort" on a brace.

• bluethundaaaa

Posted January 21, 2008 - 06:42 PM

I second the vote for Unibikers....I have yet to damage a radiator with them.

• Kasjok

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Guess I have to get real braces. Unless somebody has a 2D drawings of these? My friend made himself a set of radiator braces but his bike is 2006 yz250f.

Also, I used to ride 2004 yz450f and I did fell a lot (more then I should have) and never managed to bend or damage my radiators what so ever.

• todds924

Posted January 22, 2008 - 05:21 PM

they offer little protection against hard side impacts, but are still better than nothing. Works Connection manufactors a nice set up tha actually utilizes the "stock" 07-08 factory braces and wraps the entire radiator(s)

+2 on the works connection "CAGES". Very clean looking and very durable. I saw a set of the unibiker ones and they are god awful ugly and cobbly looking.

• SXP

Posted January 22, 2008 - 06:34 PM

I saw a set of the unibiker ones and they are god awful ugly and cobbly looking.

Can't say I agree - lots of pics of Unabikers on WRs here http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=483340

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted January 22, 2008 - 09:49 PM

Can't say I agree - lots of pics of Unabikers on WRs here http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=483340

Like i said.............. god awfull and cobbly looking. they don't compare to the works connection "CAGES". Plus i see that you cant use the stock radiator guards with them either.....at least in the pictures i saw. In a mud race those would be terrible.

• SXP

Posted January 23, 2008 - 06:40 AM

Like i said.............. god awfull and cobbly looking. they don't compare to the works connection "CAGES". Plus i see that you cant use the stock radiator guards with them either.....at least in the pictures i saw. In a mud race those would be terrible.

Let's agree to disagree.

• rmracer27

Posted January 23, 2008 - 08:48 AM

I had works connection on my bike and its an 07 yz450f and they didn't help. I have twisted up 2 RAD. I can post some pics of my last bent radiator with the cages still on them. I just put a set of the unibikers on and they look 10x better the WC ever thought about.

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2008 - 10:31 AM

The slotted plate in front of the radiators is there to address the lack of protection from punctures by thick brush that you have with the stock louvers, since the Unibikers and Devols are made more with Off-Road racing in mind than MX. Wiz636 stated that he had mud covering the bottom half of his '06 radiators and still had no heating issues during a race he was in. He attributed this to there being a fair amount of space between the guards and the core. I'll bet that if someone wanted to badly enough, he could put louvers of the front of that.

I like the way the left and right cage bases tie together across the frame, too.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 23, 2008 - 02:05 PM

Unabikers....they're really the only option for these aluminum framed Yamis. Dropped my bike on a few hills on sunday that would of had the rads looking like tacos if the unabikers weren't in place :cool:

Like gray said, the fact that each side is tied together makes them practically bomb proof...I have no reservations riding through anything "iffy" anymore

• todds924

Posted January 23, 2008 - 06:04 PM

Let's agree to disagree.

I'm with that SXP! Thats why we have so many options........ to find what works best for the intended application. I know the cages have saved me a few sets of radiators....but then again i only race moto x.

• Whyzee429

Posted January 23, 2008 - 07:31 PM

I have the WC cages in place with the stock "braces". I've had a few hard side impacts and nothing is bent of out of place. Could be luck I suppose, but they seem to have awesome protective properties thus far.

• rmracer27

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:07 AM

I know when I put the cages on I noticed that there still was alot of movement back and forth. When I put the unibikers on there was very little movement! There is probably about 3/4 of inch space between the front of the radiator and the louvers on the unibikers.

• stroker101

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:28 AM

both seem to be quality products. i would think if a "brace" were to be used with either set up, it would provide even more protection.
a brace mounted to the outside edge of radiator, back to the frame. this would reduce the effect of rearward bending of the rad. frame mounts in the event the bike goes down on it's side while still traveling foward. the only thing supporting the rad. from back and forth movement are the rad. frame mounts and radiator shrouds. and we all know that plastic will bend. i don't think i have a spot to mount a brace to the frame on this 08' YZ, hmmmm?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.