Small gear on the back of the clutch basket

18 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted January 20, 2008 - 05:33 PM

I was watching one of my friends install some clutch plates in his 06 450f and he went ahead and filed the notches down on the basket while he was at it. When he went to put the basket back on he placed the nut on the shaft to torque it down and the basket made a poping sound that didnt sound right. He took the nut back off after putting about 50lbs of torque on it and pulled the basket back off. He ckecked the back of the basket out and noticed that a piece of the gear tooth had chiped off the gear that is located on the back of the basket in the center........the gear with teeth that protudes out(if you will). He put the basket back on but this time it went back in futher(before it didnt go in as far and the nut wouldnt go all the way on the shaft) but this time it did> so my guess it didnt go all the way on the first time. He said it would be alright but I told him it wouldnt because the gear had been chiped. I told him to get another gear for the back of the basket but he said it would be fine. Would you all agree with this or should he get another gear.

• Scooter33

Posted January 20, 2008 - 05:41 PM

Chances are, it is not going to be fine. Only problem is that gear is a pressed part into the basket. He will need to buy a new basket. I don't know of any other quick fix.

• SXP

Posted January 20, 2008 - 05:47 PM

This buddy of yours.....wouldn't happen to be YOU, would it?:cool:

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:49 PM

The gear on the back of the basket assembly is the kick starter driven gear. The basket didn't drop all the way on the first time because the kick start gears were not meshed with each other.

As to whether it should be replaced or not, it depends on the degree of the damage. The kick start idler gear should also be checked carefully. As pointed out already, the small gear is a part of the complete primary driven gear assembly, and can only be replaced that way.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 21, 2008 - 04:50 PM

Well first of all!.......Yes!!...It was me!....A simple mistake that I made on my behalf. I could'nt lie to you guys because we are family. I was wanting to check the condition of my clutch basket and plates. As I said above I removed the basket and plates along with the pressure plate and boss. After measureing everything all was in spec except for the notch's in the basket(not real bad at all) just a little bumps on the side of the flanges and just a few strokes with a bastard file took care of it. But like I said.....when I was putting the basket in and the nut that holds the basket on.......>I noticed it didnt seem to want to thread all the way on. It stoped and started to get tight just as soon as the shaft came out of the nut. I knew something didnt seem right but like an idiot!!! I kept tightening the nut with a torque wrench(real slow) to the specified ft.lbs and it made a popping sound. I took it back off and examined it and noticed the gear on the back of the basket(not the big round one) the small one in the center of the basket on the back that sticks out. This is the one that had the chip in one of the teeth(just a little piece came off the corner of the inside. I guess this was the popping sound it made when it got in a bind. Like gray said! I didnt get the basket seated all the way in because when I put in back on I wiggled it a little and wiggled it some more and then it went futher back in. But before I put it back on I looked at the other gears to the left of it >I believe the kick starter and kick idol gear and they were fine. I hate this happed.... but I guess you learn from your mistakes. I dont know wether to go in debt for a new 08 450 or just keep riding this one. Can anyone tell me if it would be alright to ride it because I started it up and the clutch worked better than it did since I filed the notch's but I didnt ride but just a minute or two in first and second just to test the clutch. Do you all think it will be alright or will I have to get a whole new clutch? And BTW I forgot to look for the chip that came off the gear! will it cause any trouble if it fell down below the basket?

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Remember that that same gear on the clutch basket drives the oil pump too, and a chipped drive gear is apt to damage the gears it drives. I have run such gears in the past, but without personally inspecting it, I can't say whether I would run yours, and so I won't recommend that you do so.

That little chunk of gear can cause considerable damage if it gets into any of the other gears as they work. You should have hunted that down.

• dbehr624

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:26 PM

Sorry to hi-jack thread, but what do you do for a living gray? I am always shocked to how much you know...

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2008 - 10:06 PM

I spent 35 years as a professional motorcycle and automotive technician, machinist, and custom chassis fabricator. I now work in IT.

• William1

Posted January 22, 2008 - 06:35 AM

Gray, it is funny, you and I have had similar life careers. I was with Yamaha as a factory tech, then Nissan then Volvo. Did a stint in finance before becoming a programmer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2008 - 07:33 AM

Gray, it is funny, you and I have had similar life careers. I was with Yamaha as a factory tech, then Nissan then Volvo. Did a stint in finance before becoming a programmer.

I want to know what's going to happen with Volvo now that Ford owns them and they've been using GM Hydramatic transmissions for so long. :cool:

BTW, you know who makes that cool little 4400 cc DOHC V8 of theirs that not only produces 360 hp @ 6000 but is also a qualified low emissions engine? The cpmpany uses tuning forks as a logo....

• William1

Posted January 22, 2008 - 08:01 AM

I suspect eventually, they may go to Ford units but, these days, there is so much part sharing, I doubt pride would be a factor. My current Volvo is running a Getrag. (350 Hp, awd sleeper wagon)

LOL, same company that makes the Mercury Inboard V8's for boats, I think designed the GM Nothstar, the design of the engine in the Porsche Cayenne and a bunch of others. Been a fan of thiers since day one.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 22, 2008 - 03:47 PM

Well!!....what would you do at this point? Drain the oil back out and take the clutch back off and look for the chip piece. Then get a new oem basket,boss,pressure plate,springs and plates or just take the chance that nothing else happens. Your opinion to me would be better than mine because I dont know really what to do?

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:09 PM

You should open it up and find the piece of gear, or satisfy yourself that it's not in the engine. Then you should probably buy a new OEM basket/gear.

Why would you buy any of that other stuff if it's not worn badly enough to replace?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:59 PM

Well!....I dont really want to replace all of it if I dont have to. I just thought if I bought a new basket I needed everything else new to go with it. But I guess if what you are saying.....then I wont have to. I will get the basket and maybe the hub(clutch boss) cause it did have notch marks in it......more deep than the basket did. As for the pressure plate I dont know because I dont know how to really check it to see if it is bad. Shouldnt I need to get the plates though because if u get a new basket wont you have to have new plates to go with it.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 22, 2008 - 05:08 PM

I want to get this stuff from TT since TT has helped me out alot on guideing me in the right direction. I feel I owe you gray and the TT comunity for all you all have done for me. I want to support the people that has supported me. How do I go about ordering parts from TT? And if you dont mind gray! will you answer one more question for me in this time of crisis?......> If I drain the oil out and take the cover off and the clutch basket back off do you think I will be able to find that piece that chiped off the gear or will I be just looking for a needle in a haystack? Is there any way it could get to the crank or in the cylnder or possibly the vaves?.......How would you go about it?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 23, 2008 - 03:36 PM

Gray!....do you think it will be hard to find that chiped piece? How far can it go up underneath the basket? can it wind up on the shifter side? Iam going to take it back out saturday and try to fish for it so if you have any Ideas it would be real helpfull.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 28, 2008 - 12:06 PM

I took the basket back out and fished out that small piece of gear that chiped off. I couldnt believe that I found it. I took a magnet that looks like a antenna and got it out. The piece of gear was located under the shift assembly. According to the service manual the oil pump drive gear was broke so I guess I will have to get one but the kick idle gear was fine. When you look up the clutch on the parts store the #1 part is a gear is this gear the gear that is located in the center of the clutch basket on the back of it? Because this is where the chipped piece came from and I was wondering if you could just get this piece instead of buying the whole basket?

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2008 - 12:49 PM

When you look up the clutch on the parts store the #1 part is a gear is this gear the gear that is located in the center of the clutch basket on the back of it? Because this is where the chipped piece came from and I was wondering if you could just get this piece instead of buying the whole basket?

Nope. That's the primary drive gear on the crankshaft.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 28, 2008 - 01:09 PM

I see now!... I looked on page 4-63 of the service manual and seen. Well I already ordered the basket,clutch boss,>gear,oil pump idle and circlip and the kick idle gear and circlip. I didnt think I needed the kick idle gear cause it wasnt broke or anything just had a small score mark on one tooth that felt a little rough so I just went ahead and ordered one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.