Crash report..pig down.

14 replies to this topic
  • zimak

Posted January 20, 2008 - 12:33 PM

Gonna get some pics up today but went out to the local riding spot with a friend that just moved here. Took my 650R and LTZ400 out so he could try both before he buys and decides how many wheels he wants for his poison of choice.
Good rider but new.
1 hour on the LTZ all good.
20 minutes on the BRP...he had hillclimbs and wheelies down in 15 minutes no problem.
Went up a hill and a rock jumped up and bit him.

Anyway, rear brake lever bent and clutch covered took a little dent.

Get home and pull it off and it took a perfect hit, broke off one of the clutch basket studs that the springs mount on.
All parts on order.

Here is the bad part. We ran it (externally couldnt hardly see any damage or dent) for about 100 yards after that until it started ticking loudly.

Got it all apart and there were shavings everywhere inside the clutch cover and of course in the oil.

....where do I start? Motor out full tear down? Its soft aluminum shavings and mostly in powder (mixed with oil more like a paste) form.
No damage to the bolt holding the screen in it just chewed up the cover mainly.

• Frank ZX

Posted January 20, 2008 - 12:44 PM

That sucks!If it were me,I would want to get the aluminum out of the engine.If it were a tiny amount of aluminum shavings,I might just flush the motor out with clean oil and a new filter.
Atleast flush the engine several times with maybe diesel fuel(DON'T start the engine with the diesel fuel in the crankcase),clean the screen,and install a new filter.Good luck with it.

• cleonard

Posted January 20, 2008 - 12:47 PM

Ouch!

I'd say that there are at least three things that you need to determine. You already have to remove the cover to get at the clutch.

• Where the aluminum came from. What was ground up.
  • Clean it all out wherever it may be.
  • Examine for damage.
  • Don't neglect the oil pump. Oil pumps don't like pumping metal. Check it. and maybe flush out some of the oil hoses, tubes, passageways, etc if you see crud there.

Does this mean looking in the clutch is all that needs to be removed or do you have to go as far as splitting the cases? Not sure. It really depends on what you find.

Pictures are always good.

• zimak

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:08 PM

Will get some pictures up here soon.

Hadnt thought about inspection the oil pump.
Good one.
Adding that on the list of stuff to inspect.

All of the shavings are from the clutch cover inside wall where the spring bolt head was hitting it. Very very fine shavings and no actual slivers. All that soft aluminum type so I'm hoping for the best but inspecting and tearing apart expecting the worst.

• Nailpounder

Posted January 21, 2008 - 03:28 AM

Ouch!

I'd say that there are at least three things that you need to determine. You already have to remove the cover to get at the clutch.

• Where the aluminum came from. What was ground up.
  • Clean it all out wherever it may be.
  • Examine for damage.
  • Don't neglect the oil pump. Oil pumps don't like pumping metal. Check it. and maybe flush out some of the oil hoses, tubes, passageways, etc if you see crud there.

Does this mean looking in the clutch is all that needs to be removed or do you have to go as far as splitting the cases? Not sure. It really depends on what you find.

Pictures are always good.

Like you said, it doesn't take much to trash your oil pump.
x2.........I would take compressed air an blow all the lines out too.
The oil jets get clogged real easy so a good cleaning is in order.

• zimak

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:30 PM

Ok so my question. Aside from buying the Honda tool to hold the very soft aluminum clutch basket still...how do I get that damn 27MM nut off w/o tearing it up. Not so much the old one but more so important when I install the new one?

Those shavings are finer than they look. Almost powder like but still gonna be a pain in the ass.
Thanks guys.

Pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

• cleonard

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:51 PM

Try an unbent the bent part of the nut at the 5 o'colck position. Don't sweat it too much if you can't. Put trans in fifth gear. Apply rear brake. Remove nut. Put it on the same way. It helps to have two people.

A pneumatic impact wrench (aka rattle gun) will get it off a lot easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zimak

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:56 PM

Never woulda thought of that.

Huge help, on my way out to the garage now.

• zimak

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:45 PM

Quik question...is it reverse threaded or just kicking my a##?

• ToXicD

Posted January 24, 2008 - 04:57 PM

push down on the kickstarter, if the clutch basket rotates clockwise then it very well may be left hand threads. im sure someone could look at their service manual and tell you.

• cleonard

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:02 PM

It's just kicking your ass. That nut is on there with 90 or so foot pounds and then that keeper tab is bent down. It takes a big wrench or a breaker bar to get it loose.

Maybe someone else will have a good suggestion for how to get it off?

• zimak

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:03 PM

I have a service manual and it doesnt say.
Leaves me to assume that its regular but I got a neighbor helping hold the brakes and on the stand or even off it and with him on the bike holding both brakes and me using the 27MM and a breaker bar and its not moving.

Now I'm not getting crazy with it in case it is reverse thread but at 87lb/ft I should be breaking it loose.
And I did manage to move that index bend out of it mentioned above.

• zimak

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Cool we posted at the same time.

Ok knowing its not reverse I'll go put some ass into it and knock it off.
Alternatively I might just grunt and groan for a while and use it as an excuse for the old lady to drive me to sears for a compressor and impact set...hmmm

• zimak

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:16 AM

God it all off and the new one on.
Pulled the right crankcase cover and shavings everywhere.

Not looking good for the home team.
Found them in the banjo bolt from the frame also.

• rhythmofbeing

Posted January 25, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Ouch. I'm pulling for ya!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.