Air Cut Off Valve. How to tell if it's bad.

5 replies to this topic
  • carfan87

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:31 AM

I have a 1996 XR400 and after pulling the carb apart I noticed the air cut off valve is a bit stiff and if I hold it up to the sun I can see a number of VERY small holes in it. How can I tell if I should replace it? Is a Honda dealer the only place to get one as they are $40 from them.

Thanks!

• Trailryder42

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:15 PM

Doesn't sound good. Is the bike backfiring on decel?

Do you have to stretch the rubber to see the holes or do you see them without stretching it? If stretching it and the holes close up when released and the bike runs ok as is, I'd let it go.

• carfan87

Posted January 21, 2008 - 04:50 AM

It did not seem to backfire on decel but I've not had the bike for that long. It was hard to start though. The holes are there without stretching. I'd say the rubber is more like cardboard than rubber so it's not going to stretch much. It's sounding lik it's probably bad to me. Is Honda the only place to get it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trailryder42

Posted January 21, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Sounds bad to me too. There are a couple of places to get Honda OEM parts. They're all about the same price from what I can see. You get the whole assembly, not just the rubber diaphram. You might call and see if the diaphram is available by itself.
BikeBandit.com

ServiceHonda.com

PowerSportsPro.com

• ganshert

Posted January 21, 2008 - 12:26 PM

I've found these guys to be the cheapest source of OEM Honda stuff and they have great customer service.

http://hondaparts-direct.com

• Trailryder42

Posted January 21, 2008 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, they seem to be the cheapest yet, $36.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

xr280r break-in by 93XR277R

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

The beginning of my rebuild 96 xr250r by Madmike84

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Kevin's XR400 FAQ by Kev_XR

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400R Shinko 244 Rear Question by MarxMyth

• Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

CR steering stem specifications(pics) by kawamatt2

• Hot  64 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.