XR650l or R

15 replies to this topic
  • Davinator

Posted January 20, 2008 - 06:55 AM

Hi guys new to this game. Am looking at buying a 1993 XR650L but in South Africa it is a grey import so does not show on the Honda dealer network. How different is the XR650L to the XR650R which is on the dealer network. Thanks, Davinator

• martinfan30

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:45 AM

The L is The USA's street legal DS bike. The R doesnt come street legal here, but does over there. I would have no problems deciding on a SL R there. Dont waste your time trying to import an L.

The R is lighter, liquid cooled, better suspension, faster, etc...

• jetfuel

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:20 AM

The L is The USA's street legal DS bike. The R doesnt come street legal here, but does over there. I would have no problems deciding on a SL R there. Dont waste your time trying to import an L.

I think there is bit of confusion here martinfan.. he is looking at buying a "1993" XRL aready over there not importing one. beyond that I agree with you completely get the "R" if you have a choice..:cool: The R is a much more modern up to date package. But... my L will always have a home here ... long live simple...

• Rman of 237

Posted January 20, 2008 - 10:02 AM

When he said "grey import" I think he means he means this. http://en.wikipedia....import_vehicles

Might be a stupid question but what are the differences in the R here and the R there?
The L is a bulletproof bike but if it's considered an import over there will OEM and aftermarket support be a problem?

• husky123

Posted January 20, 2008 - 11:18 AM

I think there is bit of confusion here martinfan.. he is looking at buying a "1993" XRL aready over there not importing one. beyond that I agree with you completely get the "R" if you have a choice..:cool: The R is a much more modern up to date package. But... my L will always have a home here ... long live simple...

Amen. I'm glad I have them both. I wouldn't want to decide between the two. It'd be like trying to decide which of my children to get rid of.

• Frank ZX

Posted January 20, 2008 - 11:28 AM

Like Martinfan30 said.
The XRL is a great bike also,I have owned both.I love my R!

• Suikerland

Posted January 20, 2008 - 03:32 PM

When he said "grey import" I think he means he means this. http://en.wikipedia....import_vehicles

Might be a stupid question but what are the differences in the R here and the R there?
The L is a bulletproof bike but if it's considered an import over there will OEM and aftermarket support be a problem?

The R in South Africa, Australia and Europe is sold street legal, plated, with turn signals and brake light, and uncorked. The R in the US (as you know) is not sold street legal. I think the US is the only place where the R is sold not street legal.

• Suikerland

Posted January 20, 2008 - 03:56 PM

Hi guys new to this game. Am looking at buying a 1993 XR650L but in South Africa it is a grey import so does not show on the Honda dealer network. How different is the XR650L to the XR650R which is on the dealer network. Thanks, Davinator

Was Honda making the XR650L in 1993? I may be wrong but I thought it came later.

Differences:
Basically the XR650R is a more recent design - water-cooled.
L is air cooled.

L has tubular steel frame, L has aluminium frame. L is more of an all-rounder/dual purpose. R is lighter, better suspension (but suspension on both bikes can be/needs to be adjusted). R is more agressive, built for racing, more power, dedicated off-road.

L has more sophisticted electrics with battery and electric start, R has very basic electrics - no battery, kick start only. (I think the L is electric-start only, no kick start? Somebody correct me if wrong.)

Both bikes are very tough, long-life engines with proper maintenance. Both engines are pretty well known and easy to get parts for. Get the L if you get a good deal on it, it's a good tough bike. But it depends on planned use - if you want to go insanely fast in the dirt, get the R.

But as the saying goes, it's 90% rider, 10% bike. I'm sure the L in good hands will go places that I can't take my R.

Some would say that the R, being a race-bred engine, needs more frequent service intervals than the L if you're using it a lot - commuting etc.
The L is not such a high performance engine so can probbaly tolerate longer service intervals.
But then, the R is water cooled so has a narrower range of operating temps, therefore less engine wear in extreme temperatures. Blah blah... you can rationalize this stuff for ever...

By the way if South Africa never imported the L, you might have a problem if you need parts. Honda dealers might not stock anything related to the L. That would worry me a bit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Suikerland

Posted January 20, 2008 - 05:17 PM

and...
most of us who ride 650R (I speak for myself) don't use 'em anywhere near their intented capability, which is this...

like Johnny Campbell doing over 100mph (180km/h) on the beach at 05:02 - y'all know what I mean...

• husky123

Posted January 20, 2008 - 05:30 PM

Was Honda making the XR650L in 1993? I may be wrong but I thought it came later.

Yep '93 was the first year.

• martinfan30

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:32 PM

Ok, I read the post and replied too quickly. When the 2 yr. old daughter is running around the house crazy, and the wife is yelling to get ahold of the daughter:bonk: ...
Well you get the point!:applause:

• Davinator

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for your input guys, I am tempted to buy this XR650L as it is in great nick price is 21000 SA Rand or +- 3000 US. Has done 6500 jap miles.

• Coolidge

Posted January 21, 2008 - 11:48 AM

Does that mean $3000.00 for a 93 XR650L? If so, that price $ounds kinda $teep. But, then again, I have no idea what the market for XR650L's are in S.A. :cool:

• Rman of 237

Posted January 21, 2008 - 01:27 PM

Does that mean $3000.00 for a 93 XR650L? If so, that price $ounds kinda $teep. But, then again, I have no idea what the market for XR650L's are in S.A. :cool:

$3000-USD does sound like alot. I got my '06 for a song at $4000 with 300mi on it.:applause: This chick caught her old man cheatin' on her and was selling all his stuff!:busted:

• martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 01:50 PM

$3000-USD does sound like alot. I got my '06 for a song at $4000 with 300mi on it.:cool: This chick caught her old man cheatin' on her and was selling all his stuff!:applause:

Oh crap! Nice for you, hope he learned his lesson!:busted:

• Rman of 237

Posted January 21, 2008 - 03:31 PM

Oh crap! Nice for you, hope he learned his lesson!:cool:

Live and learn huh? Title was in her name. It's mine now!:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.