XR600R float height spec?

5 replies to this topic
  • sploogemonkey

Posted January 20, 2008 - 03:29 AM

Does anyone have the factory recommended setting for float height on a 2000 model XR600R?

12mm, 14mm, 16mm...... somewhere in between.... am I close? :cool:

Can someone hep a brutha out?

• pwrpapa

Posted January 20, 2008 - 06:11 AM

I;m sure someone will help you here, if not Try http://4strokes.com/

• creeky

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:24 AM

Service manual sez.....14.5 mm, (.057").

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fc501

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:58 AM

it would have been nice for the manual to show a photo, drawing or something on where and how to measure the 14.5mm!:cool:

• creeky

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:16 AM

With the float needle in the closed position, measure the distance between the top of the float and the bowl gasket flange on the carb.

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Thanks creeky! :cool:

it would have been nice for the manual to show a photo, drawing or something on where and how to measure the 14.5mm!:applause:

Here's how I adjust float height, fc501.

Take carb off bike. Empty fuel and remove float bowl.

I hold the carb in my left hand with my thumb on the part that slides into the intake manifold, index and middle finger on the side that the airbox boot attaches to, and the slide opening is pressed against my palm. The same way I hold a burger.

Hold carb at eye level so that you can see the point where the float tang makes contact with the float needle. The carb should be situated so that the hinge where the float is attached to the carb is the at top, and the non-hinge end is facing down.

Now tilt the carb so that the float tang swings away from the float needle, and tilt back slowly until you see the tang just barely touch the needle, but does not depress it. This is the position you want to measure float height at.

Using a ruler or a caliper, measure the distance from the carb body where the float bowl seats, to the top of the float. This is the float height. To make adjustments, just remove the float and bend the tang to achieve the desired height.

Remember, you're holding the carb sideways, so the top of the float is the flat surface to your right.

I hope I didn't make things more confusing, but this method has always worked for me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.