Steering stem bearings

5 replies to this topic
  • tunaeater

Posted January 20, 2008 - 12:57 AM

I'm looking to replace my stem bearings. I would like to know who has expeience with the different brands and how they work for you. My choices would be All Balls, Pivot Works or with the stock OEM bearings. Also what is the best grease for the bearings?

Thanks

Paul

• Descalzo

Posted January 20, 2008 - 03:21 AM

I used All Balls when I swapped out my clamps & I've no complaint so far.

Did think the stk Honda seal for the steering tube was much better quality than the one that came with the bearings though - but so far it's worked fine as well.

• pwrpapa

Posted January 20, 2008 - 06:34 AM

I use bel-ray water proof grease for all my bearing an have had great luck with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:22 AM

I get my bearings from the local NAPA store, brands vary. I install a grease zerk in the stem and use Pennzoil waterproof grease made for boat trailers.

• cleonard

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:44 AM

I get my bearings from the local NAPA store, brands vary. I install a grease zerk in the stem and use Pennzoil waterproof grease made for boat trailers.

+1 on that. It is a lot less expensive to get bearings this way. I have never had quality issues even when going with Chinese sourced ones. One problem is that many steering head bearings are not standard sizes and are not normally available. In that case it's OEM, All Balls, or Pivot Works.

I'm sure that a waterproof grease should be the best. However, just about anything will work just fine. I'm in Southern California and I don't see a lot of water. I use the same grease that I use on my cars and trucks.

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 20, 2008 - 06:09 PM

A repeat of what creeky and cleonard have already said.

I'm pretty sure that all bearings have their dimensions stamped on them already, so any good auto parts store (not autozone types) or a bearing warehouse should be able to set you up for much less than OEM would cost. I've done this before and never had an issue with quality.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.