WR 2007 Grey wire conformation please!

19 replies to this topic
  • carrzysafc

Posted January 19, 2008 - 11:22 PM

Picked my new 07 wr up today. Was reading your opions on mods and there seems to be a bit of confusion over the grey wire mod. Should i disconnect it from the plug under left hand number plate or shall i unplug the sky blue wire? Can someone please clear this up for me. Thanx in advance.

• William1

Posted January 20, 2008 - 02:45 AM

Different mods. The Grey wire is a must do. It changes the engine map from a mild WR to a wild YZ.

The Sky Blue mode changes spark energy when the bike is in neutral. Stock, the system delivers a weak spark at idle to make the idle 'softer' as there is little to no drag on the engine. Kick it in gear, the spark becomes stronger, giving the engine a normal amount of power to help overcome the drag of the clutch. Some like, some do not. I've tested it both ways adn returned it to be conncted as it tended to give me a high idle that could not be consistenely set (Different idle when cold Vs. hot, occassional 'hanging idle')

• camaroman7d

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:50 PM

I agree the grey wire is a must do and it's simple.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted January 20, 2008 - 10:26 PM

Do the grey wire mod if you want the extra power.

The neutral wire mod is a myth, i've never seen any proof of the actual eletrical signal on the DC-CDI WR450.

The blue wire with white stripe can be cut if you want no dead-revs during cranking with electric start (might be hard on starter motor).

• Ridon

Posted January 21, 2008 - 02:49 AM

I did the grey wire mod yesterday, the difference is HUGE!!. I will do the throttle stop mod tomorrow...is also a must mod.:cool:

• carrzysafc

Posted January 28, 2008 - 12:22 AM

Cheers guys. Will do the grey wire this weekend. Am i corect that is under te left hand number plate?

• tweav

Posted January 28, 2008 - 12:47 AM

yes it's under the left # plate

• TheBlackSheep

Posted February 04, 2008 - 02:15 PM

Do the grey wire mod if you want the extra power.
The neutral wire mod is a myth, i've never seen any proof of the actual eletrical signal on the DC-CDI WR450.

The blue wire with white stripe can be cut if you want no dead-revs during cranking with electric start (might be hard on starter motor).

I did the grey wire mod yesterday, the difference is HUGE!!. I will do the throttle stop mod tomorrow...is also a must mod.:busted:

Come on guys, did you really feel a difference, or is it all in your head? I have unplugged and plugged and didn't notice a thing.

.......... bahhh :worthy:

• William1

Posted February 04, 2008 - 02:44 PM

The Grey wire mod entails removing the the grey wire at the CDI. It enables the YZ map in the CDI.
The blue wire/neutral mod (in the harness under the tank) simply changes the voltage the CDI puts out when in neutral. Disconnected, the spark is stronger, but I tested it both ways and did not find much, if any difference.

Two different things. The Grey wire mod is night and day.

• 2lcf

Posted February 04, 2008 - 05:13 PM

I rode my 08 for a few trips before I did the GYTR rejet and grey wire disconnect along with the YZ throtle stop, air box top removal and pipe restrictor removal..........HUGE difference.....just waiting for my exhaust.......one sugestion, do not "CUT" the grey wire, just use a small screw driver and remove it from the connector then heat shrink it and tuck it back in the wiring loom..........that way you can reconnect if ever needed to.....and it is just cleaner..........good luck...........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted February 04, 2008 - 06:26 PM

LOL, I went a step further with the grey wire. I have a toggle switch in the corner of the airbox. I switch it to the WR setting when I let someone ride my bike. They think I must be a faster rider!

• 2lcf

Posted February 04, 2008 - 08:38 PM

LOL, I went a step further with the grey wire. I have a toggle switch in the corner of the airbox. I switch it to the WR setting when I let someone ride my bike. They think I must be a faster rider!

VERY SMART.................I still don't like when others ask, "can I ride your bike"..............I don't want to be an Ahole......but if they crash it, it will never be the same as me crashing it...........

• William1

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:56 PM

I only let people ride it who can afford also to write a check immediately without blinking an eye if the crash. I almost never ride anyone elses bike too. Why should I? Mine is nicer than most!

• SXP

Posted February 05, 2008 - 07:24 AM

I only let people ride it who can afford also to write a check immediately without blinking an eye if the crash. I almost never ride anyone elses bike too. Why should I? Mine is nicer than most!

I think you are on to something. I do the same:busted:

• 2lcf

Posted February 05, 2008 - 01:38 PM

I think you are on to something. I do the same:busted:

Your both smart................I just want to be the FIRST one to crash my 08...not someone else...........

• NZ KLXer

Posted February 18, 2008 - 11:50 PM

Do any of you guys have a pic you could post of the connector location??

• William1

Posted February 19, 2008 - 04:19 AM

Your best bet is to take a read of the woring diagram in the service manual

• timoyz1

Posted February 19, 2008 - 12:02 PM

The Grey wire mod entails removing the the grey wire at the CDI. It enables the YZ map in the CDI.
The blue wire/neutral mod (in the harness under the tank) simply changes the voltage the CDI puts out when in neutral. Disconnected, the spark is stronger, but I tested it both ways and did not find much, if any difference.

Two different things. The Grey wire mod is night and day.

When I bought my 07 they said all the grey wire was, is a 8900 rev limit chip. I left it connected not needing to red line my expensive new 4 stroke.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 19, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Do any of you guys have a pic you could post of the connector location??

Just find the grey wire and trace it. Check all the connectors too. Should be dark grey, mine was (2005)

• Dube2

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:24 AM

I too would rather remove the grey wire from the loom connector, however in cali, the BLM is on the prowel. Looking for AIS mods and I just wont take a chance. I'm pretty sure that they can't take your bike apart? But I just pulled back the loom covering about 2.5 inches, cut the grey wire, tapeded both ends down and then pulled the looom covering back over the wires and it doesn't look like it's been cut/removed. This in addition to doing the AIS removal and plugging up the hoses so it too doesn't look as if it was removed. Hey, call me a sissy, but I refuse to take a chance on paying fee$ or having my bike impounded. I did this on my 08 and now getting ready to re-install the AIS on my 05(hoses pluged of course) and just to keep the BLM from ripping my bike apart.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.