My new (to me) 2005 WR450

27 replies to this topic
  • flynmike

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:44 PM

whats up i just purchaced a 2005 wr 450 200 miles on it for 4000 it's all stock what is this gray wire you guys are talking about and the free mods this is the first 4 stroke i have owned i need help!!!

• Dube2

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:53 PM

Ride It Like You Stoll It! Cuz Ye Did! Nice Bike...........

• Justang

Posted February 03, 2008 - 09:49 AM

whats up i just purchaced a 2005 wr 450 200 miles on it for 4000 it's all stock what is this gray wire you guys are talking about and the free mods this is the first 4 stroke i have owned i need help!!!

Check this site out: http://www.thumperfaq.com/

The grey wire mod is where you disconnect the grey wire from the CDI. This gives you more advanced timing and fuel curves.

The air box mod is where you cut out two holds on the right side of your air box. You'll see outlines of two ovals, cut there.

Mods to the exhaust. My bike came with the PMB tail pipe, but I also took the one of the baffles out of the muffler. From what I read, with the baffle removed and the PMB insert you are right at the 96db mark.

Also, on a WR the throttle stop is longer than the YZ so you are limited to like 3/4 throttle. Take it out and cut it, or go buy the YZ throttle stop.

You can also delete your AIS.
My bike is pretty fast after all that. I'm impressed.

• simica

Posted February 03, 2008 - 05:44 PM

Glad to hear people are still riding and buying the '05 WR. I've had mine almost three years and still giggle every time I ride it. I think about selling mine and getting a new one but all the mods I've done to mine I would probably end up doing to an '08 also despite the new frame and all. Sounds like you guys are headed in the right direction with the mods and all. I ride in southern Ca. and run a 170 main, 48 pilot and 68 starter jet. If you have a couple hundred bucks, I recommend the Power Now valve and Scary Fast Accelerator pump cover. No more hesitation on throttle response. Stick to the stock chain and sprockets. I ride and race alot and I'm still on the original drive system!

My next step is an aftermarket exhaust. I race alot of GP's on closed course tracks and lose alittle quickness out of the corners to the MX four strokes that I race against. I'm usually the only WR on the line, but the WR is more comfortable to me than a YZ.

Have fun on your new '05's!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justang

Posted February 03, 2008 - 05:57 PM

I have a few other things I want to do to the bike. First I have my 13t front sprocket I'm going to install, then possibly a YZ exhaust cam. I think I want a stiffer suspension too. I don't think the WR is dialed in to my 210lbs body. Then later on, a stabilizer, after market handle bars, possible exhaust (if one falls in my lap cheap).

• simica

Posted February 03, 2008 - 06:23 PM

I am also 210 lbs. and have installed stiffer springs front and rear, but no revalving. I'm happy with it that way. Just six months ago, I switched to tall pro taper bars and GPR stabilizer, I'm also 6' 3". I couldn't believe I waited so long to get a stabilizer, but what a difference in ride comfort, control, and alot less arm pump.

• Justang

Posted February 03, 2008 - 06:26 PM

Where do you get the springs?

• simica

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:05 PM

Got mine at Race Tech. They have a web site with a chart of all the different spring rates that they offer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.