My First Pig...and I Love it!!!

9 replies to this topic
  • jdubb75

Posted January 19, 2008 - 08:30 PM

Well, I finally did it. Today I became the proud owner of a new 07 650R and I couldn't be happier!:cool: After a short test ride I knew this was the bike for me. Even in stock form I was impressed and it's a Honda so I know I couldn't go wrong. I've been on here for a little while poking around and asking questions and finally went through with it. I guess now comes the task of uncorking and the standard out of the gate mods. I can't wait to get started. Thanks to everyone that put up with my questions and helped me decide to take the plunge. I'll be searching the threads for info on the usual mods, but I'm sure I'll have more questions. I just can't wait for the weather to break!:applause:

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 19, 2008 - 08:42 PM

You have a great bike...Any mods in the planning? Pics?

:cool:

Well, I finally did it. Today I became the proud owner of a new 07 650R and I couldn't be happier!:applause: After a short test ride I knew this was the bike for me. Even in stock form I was impressed and it's a Honda so I know I couldn't go wrong. I've been on here for a little while poking around and asking questions and finally went through with it. I guess now comes the task of uncorking and the standard out of the gate mods. I can't wait to get started. Thanks to everyone that put up with my questions and helped me decide to take the plunge. I'll be searching the threads for info on the usual mods, but I'm sure I'll have more questions. I just can't wait for the weather to break!:busted:

• captb

Posted January 19, 2008 - 11:32 PM

Congrats, once uncorked the beast is a blast:ride:

• weskc35k

Posted January 19, 2008 - 11:38 PM

Welcome to the club.

• bump and turn

Posted January 19, 2008 - 11:45 PM

Welcome and get your credit card ready, because once the modding starts your hooked. Enjoy your new project:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Purcell69

Posted January 20, 2008 - 02:17 AM

Congratulations! I just got an '07 XR650L last month (Thanks wife!). I can't be happier. I was torn between the R and the L but most of my riding will be on-road and longer distances, so I opted for one that I didn't have to add a dual sport kit to and a more friendly seat for my back. It was a tough call. The R is a sweet ride!

The mod bug is addictive though. I just received my 4 gallon Clarke tank Friday and have been shopping for an exhaust. When I pull the tank, I'm taking care of Dave's mods for the carb and losing the smog pump. My 600 mile service is complete, so it's time to get ready for warmer weather.

Enjoy the New R!

-Joe

• jdubb75

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Well, it was my first full day with the R as I didn't get home with it until late last night. I'm sure this will make my newb-o-meter fly off the charts and probably give you guys a few laughs, but I had the hardest :cool: time starting it. I'm gonna have a bruise the size of Texas on my right foot. To my defense, it was only about 15 degrees today. Yeah, I know it's a weak defense, but it's all I got. I think the main prob was that old habits die hard. I kept finding myself wanting to blip the throttle as I did in my CR days. What started as me wanting to just fire it up and take a few rips around the house ended in a 5 star comedy performance for my neighbors, I'm sure. Once, I finally got it going it seems like it took forever to get it warmed up enough to idle on it's own...seems to be very cold natured! I really didn't want to mess with the idle adjustment being that it idled fine yesterday at the dealer. I also noticed that the idle tended to hang a bit before coming down. I've read a little about that and it seems to work itself out as things wear in. I will give it a little time and see what happens. I did get a chance to open it up a little and can tell that uncorking is very much in order. I don't really have anything of value to add...just thought you guys might like to know how the pig and the greenhorn spent their first day together. 45 mins kicking and bitching, 15 minutes riding and smiling pretty much sums it up. :applause:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:26 PM

Well, it was my first full day with the R as I didn't get home with it until late last night. I'm sure this will make my newb-o-meter fly off the charts and probably give you guys a few laughs, but I had the hardest :cool: time starting it. I'm gonna have a bruise the size of Texas on my right foot. To my defense, it was only about 15 degrees today. Yeah, I know it's a weak defense, but it's all I got. I think the main prob was that old habits die hard. I kept finding myself wanting to blip the throttle as I did in my CR days. What started as me wanting to just fire it up and take a few rips around the house ended in a 5 star comedy performance for my neighbors, I'm sure. Once, I finally got it going it seems like it took forever to get it warmed up enough to idle on it's own...seems to be very cold natured! I really didn't want to mess with the idle adjustment being that it idled fine yesterday at the dealer. I also noticed that the idle tended to hang a bit before coming down. I've read a little about that and it seems to work itself out as things wear in. I will give it a little time and see what happens. I did get a chance to open it up a little and can tell that uncorking is very much in order. I don't really have anything of value to add...just thought you guys might like to know how the pig and the greenhorn spent their first day together. 45 mins kicking and bitching, 15 minutes riding and smiling pretty much sums it up. :applause:

Welcome to the world of the 'big barrel'. Congrats!

-Starting issues: they will lessen as the motor breaks in (don't baby it, by the way). Adjust the fuel screw, and raise the idle temporaraly during starting procedure. Three kicks with he CRelease, three twists of the throttle, find topdeadcenter, and kick with NO throttle.
-Starting issues: uncorking and jetting will VASTLY improve the nature of the beast. It comes jetted really lean from the factory, which is the main reason. Don't worry about the pipe for now.
-Cold Blooded: Yeah, it takes 5 good minutes till the tops of the radiators get warm! It will never overheat!
- Hanging idle: jetting, carb mod
- change your oil after the first 50 miles: don't trust the oil the dealer put in.

Have fun, and try not to get any wheelie tickets!

• Maroast

Posted January 20, 2008 - 10:19 PM

Even in stock form I was impressed ...I guess now comes the task of uncorking

Oh man! I remember when I fist got my XRR. I rode it around for about 2 weeks with it all corked up. Then the day came that I uncorked it. WOW. No joke, I was actually giggling and just kept saying "holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!!!" It woke up and became the beast that everyone talks about. Thats the sick thing about this motor....its got so much power locked away in it...you just have to unlock it as you please.

The fist day I bought the XRR I had just signed the papers and went outside to start me NEW bike.... I kicked the stupid thing for 20min in the hot texas summer sun... sweat pouring off my face I looked at my friend and said "sh*t dude, i think i bought the wrong bike" :cool:

Once you uncork it and get it tuned, it lights SOOOOOO easily. KEEP YOUR HAND OFF THE THROTTLE WHEN KICKING IT (unless its flooded, then you keep it wide open while you clear the motor). With the stock carb I could start my XRR using only my arm.

Now with the edelbrock it starts even easier. The morning temps here in NY are typically in the low-mid 20's lately....with the proper technique and the edelbrock I can light this bike up in ONE kick...and if not that it WILL start in two.

dont worry about asking too many questions...thats why we're all here. We're all geeks around here that like talking about this crap. :applause:

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 20, 2008 - 10:27 PM

the best thing for starting is choke out, turn the motor over till top dead center(TDC) the pull the decomp lever and roll just past, no throttle at all and a full swift kick. no throttle!!!

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.