help with gas tanks

12 replies to this topic
  • gusbomb

Posted January 19, 2008 - 03:49 PM

was wondering if a 650r tank fits on a L model. the R tank looks much better.

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 19, 2008 - 04:59 PM

No...different bikes...different tanks. However, both have good aftermarket tanks to choose from. I have the L and I put on a Clarke 4.78 gal tank; works great.

• gusbomb

Posted January 20, 2008 - 05:47 AM

do u have a pic

• martinfan30

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Go here, some A/M tanks look alot better...

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/

• Rman of 237

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:33 AM

Here's a pic of my 4.0 IMS....(sorry, I can't make my pics bigger for some reason.)

Posted Image

I get about 180mi a tank (reserve included) on the highway. 25mi tested on reserve. If your bike is stock you should get much better gas milage than me. Remember, if you do go with an aftermarket tank the locking gascap won't work.

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:26 PM

do u have a pic

My XR650L bike with a Clarke 4.7 gal tank:

http://i218.photobuc...igeo/XR650L.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Purcell69

Posted January 21, 2008 - 12:51 AM

I just mounted a a Clarke 4.0 gallon tank on my XR650L today. The fit is perfect, but since I have all the California smog crap still on the bike, i need to extend the vent hose for the gas cap and the fuel line from the petcock to the carburetor. The fuel line will go as-is, but it has to go up, over the charcoal canister and then back down to the carb. This could present a problem when the fuel level gets low. Sorry, no pics yet.

-Joe

• martinfan30

Posted January 30, 2008 - 01:56 PM

You get any pics yet? I just ordered a 4 gal. clarke for mine today.

• Old Dog

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:50 PM

Here's a couple of pics of my XR650L with a Clarke 4.7 tank and a Clarke Racing Billet Aluminum Ventless gas cap.

Posted Image

Here's a front view to give perspective on how much bigger it is than the stock tank.
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Looks like a big red tumor from the front! Hows fit/finish? Stability?

• Old Dog

Posted January 30, 2008 - 03:15 PM

Looks like a big red tumor from the front! Hows fit/finish? Stability?

hehehehehehe ...... "big red tumor". :ride: :blah:

I prefer to think that it adds a certain "beefy" look to the bike. :worthy:

The fit and finish are excellent. Although instead of using the flimsy "stabilizer" wire (kinda looks like it's made out of coat hanger wire), I fabbed up a couple of brackets that run from the stabilizer wire mounts on the tank to the wing mounts on the frame. Mounted this way it's rock solid :busted:

• radvocaat

Posted January 30, 2008 - 03:32 PM

hehehehehehe ...... "big red tumor". :ride: :blah:

I prefer to think that it adds a certain "beefy" look to the bike. :worthy:

The fit and finish are excellent. Although instead of using the flimsy "stabilizer" wire (kinda looks like it's made out of coat hanger wire), I fabbed up a couple of brackets that run from the stabilizer wire mounts on the tank to the wing mounts on the frame. Mounted this way it's rock solid :busted:

I believe they are stabilizer wire for a reason. When you drop your bike, the stabilizer wire gives, instead of your tank or frame mounts. I used to use some black metal lumber strapping, small peaces with a half twist and drill, allowed for some give. I replaced them a few times. Use a lock washer on the bolt at the plastic tank, cause if you torque to much on those bolts, the inset bolt in the tank will spin, and that sucks!!

• b2dude

Posted January 30, 2008 - 07:19 PM

are the little rubber dealies that the tanks mounts to in the same spot on the 600 and 650l? i know i've heard that the 650l tank wont fit on a 600, but is that because the cups are on a different spot (higher) on the tank?...or are the mounts different on the frame? i really want a stock 600 tank on my 650l.

::edit:: as soon as i got done posting this i remembered reading this. i'm pretty sure "kubiak" answered my question. yes the 600 tank will fit on a 650l. the 650l tank will not fit on a 600.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.