wr 450 lower end with a yz 450 top end?

5 replies to this topic
  • skoke70

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:02 PM

I should probally have done a little more research before posting this but what the heck, I have a friend thats parting out his 04 wr 450. I was thinking of buying his engine and using the lower end along with my top end off my 04yz 450. the reason is I would love to have the 5 speed and I also would love to hook up a head light which the wr's lower end would give me. Is this possible? has anyone done this before?
Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:44 PM

What year are the two bikes? The exchange you want to do is possible if the YZ is an '03-'05, and the WR is an '03-'06. It is also possible if the YZ is an '06-'08, and the WR is an '07-'08. Unless your YZ is an '03, you'll need a clutch cable for the WR, but otherwise, it should fit right together.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:48 PM

Would it be easier to put the WR tranny (or 5th gear) in the YZ and go with an aftermarket light kit?? The reason I ask that is because there is the possiblility that the motor mounts and head stays might not be in the same place on the YZ. Grayracer, whadda you think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:33 PM

The steel WR/YZ's both use the same mounts and stays, so that's a non-issue. The trans can be transplanted into the YZ crankcases, but the WR generator assembly can't. That will only work with the WR cases.

I would have done this to my '03 in a heartbeat if I had had the chance.

• skoke70

Posted January 18, 2008 - 11:30 PM

Great! They are both 04's. Looks like I got myself a winter project.
Thanks guys:thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted January 19, 2008 - 11:29 AM

I'm pretty sure you are going to need the WR CDI box, in which case you might need the wiring harness too. I have a sneaky feeling it's going to be a little more complicated than just the top end/bottom end mix and match. The electronics/electricals are going to complicate things.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.